The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Dec 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #227 of 3,613
Quote:
I think you're quite lucky if you can find a piece of gear that you can be completely satisfied with without having to tweak anything.  I'm from the EQ or GTFO school and I've never had a pair of 'phones that didn't need at least a bit of tweaking.  A good EQ with multiple user save slots is essential to me.  My car stereo is quite different from SE530s...

I get where you are coming from. Right now I am perfectly satisfied with my FiiO E7/E9 and DT 880's; doesn't mean I won't get curious for the T1 when I can afford it though.
beyersmile.png

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #228 of 3,613

Quote:
I think you're quite lucky if you can find a piece of gear that you can be completely satisfied with without having to tweak anything.  I'm from the EQ or GTFO school and I've never had a pair of 'phones that didn't need at least a bit of tweaking.  A good EQ with multiple user save slots is essential to me.  My car stereo is quite different from SE530s...

You need more than a DAPs Eq for a cars environment.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/552369/OEM-Integration/Eight-Channel-Line-Output-Converter-with-Auxiliary-Input----LC8i.html 

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/5248/14162/Trunk-Mount-Equalizers/EQX-Trunk-Mount-Equalizer-with-Crossover.html

Not to mention an environmental DSP.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #229 of 3,613
I know its pretty much a lost cause to get high quality sound from a car stereo for anything resembling a reasonable price, but with my D2+, and my Karma before it, I could at least make it not suck...

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #230 of 3,613

Quote:
I know its pretty much a lost cause to get high quality sound from a car stereo for anything resembling a reasonable price, but with my D2+, and my Karma before it, I could at least make it not suck...

Yeah reasonable price being the operative word.  The best I've ever heard was the old Alpine F#1 status in a MB S-class at CES about 6 years ago.  That system cost as much as a small Toyota.....w/o installation.  Like everything though there are bang/buck choices to be had.  Seems like the right thread for price/performance ratios.   

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #231 of 3,613
i must also agree, folder wise im a mess but id3 tag wise i have everything organized even by day of release!

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #232 of 3,613
[size=9pt]I understood this device feature only one I/O but why limit this device to micro SD (technologie at the end of life ) when micro SDXC is around the corner and compatible to the micro SD. So just one slot Micro SDXC will read just the standard 16 / 32 gig or the future  MicroSDXC card with higher capacity with this the player wont be obsolete for a long time.[/size]

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #233 of 3,613

Quote:
[size=9pt]I understood this device feature only one I/O but why limit this device to micro SD (technologie at the end of life ) when micro SDXC is around the corner and compatible to the micro SD. So just one slot Micro SDXC will read just the standard 16 / 32 gig or the future  MicroSDXC card with higher capacity with this the player wont be obsolete for a long time.[/size]

I too am curious what the cost differential would be w/ sdxc.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #234 of 3,613
Quote:
Quote:

I too am curious what the cost differential would be w/ sdxc.

+1.

Not that max 32gb is bad but this product would be relevant for longer with SDXC in it

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #235 of 3,613
I just copied this from Wiki:
Quote:

SDHC and SDXC compatibility issues

In the 3.0 specification, the electronic interface of SDHC and SDXC cards is the same. This means that SDHC hosts which have drivers which recognize the newly used capability bits, and have operating system software which understands the exFAT filesystem, are compatible with SDXC cards. The decision to label cards with a capacity greater than 32GB as SDXC and to use a different filesystem is due solely to the limitations in creating larger filesystems in certain versions of Microsoft Windows. Other operating systems, such as Linux, make no distinction between SDHC and SDXC cards, as long as the card contains a compatible filesystem.

SDHC and SDXC cards and hosts have these compatibility issues:
  1. SDHC hosts will only support the SDXC cards which use UHS104 speeds;[33] SDHC hosts will not recognize the SDXC cards which use the faster (SD 4.0), final specification of SDXC.[48]
  2. SDXC hosts are backward compatible with SD and SDHC memory cards.[48]
  3. The operating systems that currently support SDXC are: Linux (with a proprietary driver for the exFAT filesystem[49]), Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista SP1+[48], Windows XP SP2 or SP3 with KB955704[50], Windows Server 2008 SP1+, Windows Server 2003 SP2 or SP3 with KB955704, Windows CE 6+, and Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Intel-based)[51]

Based on these info, I think it is possible to read compatible SDXC with slower speed (SDHC speed essentially) if the firmware is up to par. But any SDXC with faster speed won't be compatible, likely due to the speed on the I/O simply not fast enough to meet the requirement on SD 4.0. Still, I think it is a long shot.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #236 of 3,613
Yes revision 4.0 requires extra pins to obtain their speed advantage.  I sure would love to test an SDHC reader w/ updated FW and an SDXC card to know for sure.  Turning SDHC readers into SDXC ones via FW would be awesome.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #238 of 3,613
Going to subscribe on this thread. I'm hoping this will be an amazing product. Keep it up FiiO. One thing to stress about for me is UI. Design it well. Good luck.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #240 of 3,613
I like... 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back