The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Feb 23, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #9,586 of 9,972

I know this is a silly question but are you sure you had the headphone jack inserted all the way?   

Hi there, no problem... I understand why you ask.  It is for sure pushed in all of the way.  I have to physically slap the unit a few times for it to register in the right earphone properly.  I'm not sure what the issue is...

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #9,587 of 9,972
Hi, new to this thread.

Anyone has opinions to share if I should go for the X1 II or second hand X3 II at around the same price?

I read some comments that the X3 II isn't totally silent with sensitive BA IEMs and the sound sig can appear a bit "artificial" compared to other DAPs. Will appreciate if you guys can share, compared to DAPs like X1 II. I've used the Shanling M1 and Fiio M3 before too if that helps :)

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #9,588 of 9,972
  It's extremely easy, I switched few times to make tests. 
I use a MicroSD 32 gb fat 32, then just copy the FW file on it, then it's the usual firmware procedure, hold down the top left button on front and then switch on. It will change your firmware.

I have sandisk ultra 128 fat 32 , 4 kib cluster , I know how to update it just shows me version too low , It came on version 1.6 when I got it.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #9,589 of 9,972

I have sandisk ultra 128 fat 32 , 4 kib cluster , I know how to update it just shows me version too low , It came on version 1.6 when I got it.

From page 5 of the X3 II manual:

"•If the update process fails repeatedly, please try putting the X3II.fw file in a micro SD card of 32GB or under, formatted using the X3’s built in formatting function (System settings ->Storage formatting). CAUTION: all data and music on a card will be erased by formatting."

Early on FiiO suggested using 32GB or smaller cards for updating.

May help or not, I do not know in your case.

JMTC,
r2

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #9,590 of 9,972

If you use a 32 gb card you wont have any issue, the problem with downdate and update come when you use bigger cards

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #9,591 of 9,972
Another user suggested this thread to me, as I had just posted to another. I need some advice on what to do with my X3. This is a copy of the post that I submitted to the other thread:

Greetings. I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE.

I just recently joined this website so I could look for some answers to this trouble that I've been experiencing.

I have had my Fiio X3 2nd Gen for about a year and a half now. Other than the scroll wheel getting so sloppy to be basically unusable, I've had no trouble with the unit.

About four nights ago I tried to add some more music to the player. (I only use it to listen to flac files in folders.) I plugged it into the USB of my iMac and wondered why I didn't see the Fiio icon on my desktop. After waiting a bit I unplugged the unit and turned it on. Immediately I got a grey screen with the error message 'File system not support'. It alternated between that message and a black screen. I ejected the card and it changed to read 'Waiting sd card.

I was using a Sandisk Pixtor 64 gig card, which was formatted in the X3 when it was new. I've never had a problem with the card, or the player previously.

I contacted customer support at Fiio. They sent me a software update, which I couldn't get to work with the 64 gig card. I also have a 4 gig card from my Tascam DR100mkII, which I erased and reformatted in my iMac, making sure it was FAT32. I then added the x3II.fw upgrade file to the card and followed Fiio's instructions: I inserted the card in the X3, then held down the shortcuts button while simultaneously pushing the power button.

The X3 turned on and began to update the software. When it finished it briefly flashed the 'update complete' message, and then started the upgrade all over again. It did this 15 times in a row before I forced it to shut down by pushing a paper clip into the reset hole and pushing the power button simultaneously.

The only way I can get the X3 to shut down now is to hold in the factory reset and hold the power switch for 15 seconds. Otherwise it will not shut down.

When I emailed Fiio to tell them this, they said that it was not normal. They said I could either send it back to Fiio in China for repair, which would take a long time, or I could send it off to somewhere in the US and along with $70 get a refurbished unit in return.

My X3 has been well cared for and never dropped, or otherwise mistreated. I worry about getting a used replacement, but I also fear it could take six months to a year to get my unit back from China.

Has anyone experienced this same trouble before? I don't have the time to look though all 1147 pages of this thread to see if this has been covered before, so apologies if this is a common problem.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

It seems to be a software issue.  I don't know why it keeps trying to update the software over and over.

Can this be resolved or should I buy a new X3? I really hoped this would last longer than 18 months.

Thank you for any and all advice,

Jeff

(Should I look for another manufacturer? I need a player that supports gapless flac playback, has a line out, and good sound.)

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #9,593 of 9,972
I would remove the card, format it, and put it into the machine.  If the machine boots normally, what OS version does it show?

If by chance it boots normally, but is not on the firmware level desired, I would format the card again but this time on the FIIO itself.

If it does not boot properly, I like the idea of downloading the desired firmware again (clean) and putting it on the card.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #9,594 of 9,972
Thanks for the replies,

I have two micro cards. One is a 64 gig Sandisk Pixtor that I bought when the X3 was new. I've never had a problem with it, and I formatted it in the X3. It is formatted to ExFAT. When I try this card now I get the 'File system not support' message.

The other micro card is a 4 gig card that came with my Tascam DR100mkII. It's a generic card and is marked Micro SD HC class 10. I erased it in my iMac and formatted it to FAT32.

I have tried loading the update software on both cards. The 64 gig card will not read at all in the X3. The 4 gig card will let the X3 start to update the software but it just keeps repeating the upgrade process, like it's stuck in an endless loop. I don't know why it's doing this. At the end of software upgrade it starts to show the message 'upgrade complete' and then immediately starts the upgrade process all over again.

Should I buy another card to try? Like a 16 gig or 32 gig? Or would that matter?  I read somewhere that the Fiio players sometimes have problems reading the larger cards, but I'm not sure if this generic 4 gig card is compatible with the X3.

Thanks,

Jeff

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #9,595 of 9,972
  Thanks for the replies,

I have two micro cards. One is a 64 gig Sandisk Pixtor that I bought when the X3 was new. I've never had a problem with it, and I formatted it in the X3. It is formatted to ExFAT. When I try this card now I get the 'File system not support' message.

The other micro card is a 4 gig card that came with my Tascam DR100mkII. It's a generic card and is marked Micro SD HC class 10. I erased it in my iMac and formatted it to FAT32.

I have tried loading the update software on both cards. The 64 gig card will not read at all in the X3. The 4 gig card will let the X3 start to update the software but it just keeps repeating the upgrade process, like it's stuck in an endless loop. I don't know why it's doing this. At the end of software upgrade it starts to show the message 'upgrade complete' and then immediately starts the upgrade process all over again.

Should I buy another card to try? Like a 16 gig or 32 gig? Or would that matter?  I read somewhere that the Fiio players sometimes have problems reading the larger cards, but I'm not sure if this generic 4 gig card is compatible with the X3.

Thanks,

Jeff

That's sad! If you can get a card on the cheap you can try. Basically anything smaller than 64GB (16,32) are fine.

Just format as FAT32 and try. Sometimes after years hardware can spoil, anything from a bust component on the Fiio PCB or anywhere on the chain. Even SD cards fry themselves if you're unlucky (somehow happens after a shorter period of time for my Sandisk cards) so good luck when you try.

If it fails, fret not. Save up and wait for the upcoming Fiio X3 3rd Gen since X5 3rd Gen has just released :)

All the best!

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #9,596 of 9,972
  Thanks for the replies,

Thanks,

Jeff

I've had some micro SD cards go bad in the pass so its possible that the 4GB card is bad.  Did you re-download the FW software, its also possible that the download was bad.  I'm on win-10 so I have to use a app to format the memory cards but its never had issues so far and since the larger micro SD cards all come with ExFAT I need to use the app to do the format to FAT32.

Suggest you get a new 8 or 16 GB card since they are quite cheap these days, I keep 3 8GB cards just to do the FW updates since I have a X1, X3 and X3ii

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #9,597 of 9,972
  I've had some micro SD cards go bad in the pass so its possible that the 4GB card is bad.  Did you re-download the FW software, its also possible that the download was bad.  I'm on win-10 so I have to use a app to format the memory cards but its never had issues so far and since the larger micro SD cards all come with ExFAT I need to use the app to do the format to FAT32.

Suggest you get a new 8 or 16 GB card since they are quite cheap these days, I keep 3 8GB cards just to do the FW updates since I have a X1, X3 and X3ii

To format your SD there s a great utility for windows, and it's free, I use it for years and it's flawless

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #9,598 of 9,972
Feb 25, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #9,599 of 9,972
Hi.
I am looking for info on comparisons between this device and a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge with I own, but I don't find many. Is it really an improvement in audio quality?
I will play mostly classical music in flac lossless format and some pop music in high bit rate mp3.
Headphones will be in ear Senheiser and HD555 and HD 477.
Thank you in advance.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #9,600 of 9,972
Hi.
I am looking for info on comparisons between this device and a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge with I own, but I don't find many. Is it really an improvement in audio quality?
I will play mostly classical music in flac lossless format and some pop music in high bit rate mp3.
Headphones will be in ear Senheiser and HD555 and HD 477.
Thank you in advance.

None of here know your sensitivity to small variances in dynamics, etc.  You might hear the difference, might not.   We here all think there is a difference or we would not purchase these units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back