The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Feb 22, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #9,571 of 9,972

A few thoughts.  First, a working OTG USB stick adapter is about $4 so the cost of the experiment is fairly low.
No cost to downgrade to 1.4.   So I would suggest you give the OTG a try and see how it works for you.
If it does not meet your needs you did not exactly spend a ton and then you can buy a bigger card.

It worked and worked with many different readers, I'm using a samsung micro sd

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #9,572 of 9,972
My unit is having headphone issues. My right ear will cut out entirely until I physically slap the unit with my hand a few times and then all audio will come back as normal.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

FiiO support is not particularly great. They're very slow to respond. They've given me two options:

1. Mail it back to China to have my exact unit repaired.

2. Send it somewhere in the US and they'll give me a used unit back.

My unit is only 1.5 months old so this is unfortunate. It's in pristine physical condition.

I fear what used quality unit I'd end up being given. Anyone had experience with this?

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #9,573 of 9,972
How can you downgrade to version 1.4? 

To me it says version too old? 

I tried the beta version above the version 1.4 and it did work but below it nope.

What can I do? 

Thanks

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #9,574 of 9,972

I tried the beta version above the version 1.4 and it did work but below it nope.

What can I do? 

Thanks

I must admit I never went above 1.4 after they pulled out support for OTG.   But you should be able to just put in the firmware and go through the usual upgrade steps.  Maybe go back to 2.0 (not a beta version) then try going back to 1.4 again?

I would test it myself but I sold my X3 II about a week ago.  Preparing for new toys.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #9,575 of 9,972
Hey guys, I have a question regarding MicroSD. Will there be a huge difference in peformance between using SanDisk Ultra/Ultra Plus 128gb and Samsung Evo+ 128gb ? I've read some review that mention the Evo+ has better random read/write speeds so it is better for smartphones, tablets etc. but I'm not too sure if it is relevant for the X3II. Can anyone give me some info regarding this? Thanks in advance!

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #9,576 of 9,972
Hey guys, I have a question regarding MicroSD. Will there be a huge difference in peformance between using SanDisk Ultra/Ultra Plus 128gb and Samsung Evo+ 128gb ? I've read some review that mention the Evo+ has better random read/write speeds so it is better for smartphones, tablets etc. but I'm not too sure if it is relevant for the X3II. Can anyone give me some info regarding this? Thanks in advance!

Huge difference, no. Any difference at all, probably not. I use the Sandisk one with no issues. Either will be fine for the FiiO.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #9,577 of 9,972

I must admit I never went above 1.4 after they pulled out support for OTG.   But you should be able to just put in the firmware and go through the usual upgrade steps.  Maybe go back to 2.0 (not a beta version) then try going back to 1.4 again?

I would test it myself but I sold my X3 II about a week ago.  Preparing for new toys.

I tried downgrading from the latest version and 1.6 and the beta 1.44 and still same issue 

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #9,578 of 9,972
This is a review I just posted to Amazon. I really like (liked) my X3 2nd Gen, but I don't know what to do about this problem.
It won't let me access the card through the X3, and the only way i can shut it off is to hold in the power button and insert a paper clip into the recessed reset hole at the same time. Otherwise it just keeps flashing the same message. When I remove the card it displays the 'Waiting for card' message.

I've had my Fiio X3 2nd Gen for a little over a year and a half. The sound quality is unreal, or should I say, 'was'. A couple of days ago I connected it to my iMac to load some new music and the icon did not show up on the screen. I turned the unit on and it started flashing an error message; 'File system not support'. I contacted Fiio customer support in China and they said to update the software, which is impossible because the X3 is stuck in the error code configuration. I'm very frustrated. I have an iPod Classic but I hate using iTunes. The iPod is much more reliable though, but doesn't have the same sound quality that the X3 did. Now I either have to send it back to China for service or buy a new one. Neither option is very enticing. I listen to FLAC files in folders, and I liked the drag and drop capability, but the build quality seems shoddy. It should last longer than a year and a half!

Does anyone know what I should do? Has anyone experienced this same problem? It worked great for a year and a half, other than the scroll wheel getting so sloppy it is bacically useless. That didn't bother me as I use the buttons exclusively.

Thanks,

Jeff

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #9,579 of 9,972

What can I do? 

Thanks

It's extremely easy, I switched few times to make tests. 
I use a MicroSD 32 gb fat 32, then just copy the FW file on it, then it's the usual firmware procedure, hold down the top left button on front and then switch on. It will change your firmware.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #9,581 of 9,972
  I own this little good boy named X3ii for a few months and I love it. But I wonder, how is the build quality on long term? I mean,a couple years. It feels really solid in my hands but just wondering. Considering it won't be dropped to anywhere. 

If its like the old X3 then it will should last quite long.  My X3ii is over 2 years old and the older X3 is going on 4 years, they both still last about 7-9 hours of play time.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #9,583 of 9,972
My unit is having headphone issues. My right ear will cut out entirely until I physically slap the unit with my hand a few times and then all audio will come back as normal.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

FiiO support is not particularly great. They're very slow to respond. They've given me two options:

1. Mail it back to China to have my exact unit repaired.

2. Send it somewhere in the US and they'll give me a used unit back.

My unit is only 1.5 months old so this is unfortunate. It's in pristine physical condition.

I fear what used quality unit I'd end up being given. Anyone had experience with this?

I know this is a silly question but are you sure you had the headphone jack inserted all the way?   

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #9,584 of 9,972
  I own this little good boy named X3ii for a few months and I love it. But I wonder, how is the build quality on long term? I mean,a couple years. It feels really solid in my hands but just wondering. Considering it won't be dropped to anywhere. 

I have owned four different FIIO hardware units.  Three DAP units and one DAC/AMP.   All were trouble free from a hardware perspective.

Sometimes the software can have issues.   Imagine that, software problems.   Never happens in Windows, IOS, Android.....And if you believe that; I have a great used bridge for sale.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #9,585 of 9,972

I have owned four different FIIO hardware units.  Three DAP units and one DAC/AMP.   All were trouble free from a hardware perspective.

Sometimes the software can have issues.   Imagine that, software problems.   Never happens in Windows, IOS, Android.....And if you believe that; I have a great used bridge for sale.

LOL.  I still remember how Windows is that thing that crashes in windows 10 even after more than 1 year after it's release 
eek.gif

I had 3 FiiO products so far, no hardware problems on the ones I owned 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back