The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Oct 17, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #6,076 of 9,972
  The better soundstage part indicates to me that it is almost certainly due to it simply being a better master.  Try taking the DSD and converting down to 16/44.1 with dithering, and see if you can actually hear a difference in blind A/B testing then :wink:

Basically, the mix and separation improvement you hear could EASILY be due ENTIRELY to the use of a better master, and have nothing whatsoever to do with file format, sampling rate, etc.

And the mixing stage I heard the playback on.
beyersmile.png
  I'm not disputing the remastering quotient, but merely stress this was a serious upgrade that I found worth my time, money and storage space... which was my point.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #6,077 of 9,972
Fair enough.  You've got to enjoy whatever pushes your buttons :)

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #6,078 of 9,972
hey all... i'm curious to know who all is using (has used) more than one model of grados with their x3II.  for those who qualify, which models are you using?  I'm a long-time grado user, but i've only ever used the 325e with my x3II.  i've been mulling a possible grado upgrade.  but would going beyond the 325 be lost on the x3II?  

Example: straight out of an iPhone, an 80 & a 225 aren't that different.  but the differences between the 80 and 225 become more apparent with better amp/hardware.   

my inquiry isn't so much about grado as it is an inquiry about the upper limit of the x3II's capability (it is a $200 battery-powered dap, after all).  

cheers

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #6,079 of 9,972
Anyone got this issue where one album inside have disc 1 and disc 2, shouldn't it be play disc 1 album tracks 1-10 but my its disc 1 and disc 2 get mixed up ( track 1-1,track 2-1, track 1-2, 2-2.... so on) any tips on how to solve it or deal with it? 

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #6,080 of 9,972
  Anyone got this issue where one album inside have disc 1 and disc 2, shouldn't it be play disc 1 album tracks 1-10 but my its disc 1 and disc 2 get mixed up ( track 1-1,track 2-1, track 1-2, 2-2.... so on) any tips on how to solve it or deal with it? 

I solved this problem by modifying the meta data on all multi disc albums to make them appear as one disc containing all the tracks. I also renamed the track files to 1.01 xxx, 1.02 xxx, ..., 1.10 xxx, 2.01 xxx, 2.02 xxx, ... and so on, that way I can still easily navigate to a disc within an album. I have given up on the database and only use folder view. This problem could be solved in latest FW, I haven't checked.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #6,081 of 9,972

Just number CD 2 so its track numbers follow after CD 1 or put CD 1 & CD 2 in seperate directories.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #6,082 of 9,972

If you use MP3tag, you can correct this by putting all of the tracks in one album instead of breaking it down by disc numbers.  I've done this with all of my stuff that has more than one disc or even digital purchases of the same nature.  You'll find that one of the tagging sources will show double albums and bonus disc as one album already and all you have to do is go in do away with the disc numbering and just number the tracks the way they appear in order from 1 to whatever.  To give you an example, the new Iron Maiden is a double album with 6 tracks on one album and 5 on the other.  Using MP3tag, it's now one album and the tracks are numbered 1 through 11.  So much easier than sorting disc numbers and trying to find a formula that works correctly.  

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #6,083 of 9,972
That is normal operation. Just relays in the device switching off or on.

Hello there fellow x3 II users. I just made the upgrade to 1,3 firmware and i noticed that my fiio started to make clicking noises. When i turn it on it makes a noticable click and after a second or two it does it again. And its coming form inside of the device! it happens when i turn it on. Start playing music or plug in earphones. Two small clicks from inside the case of the fiio. I don't think it behaved this way before the upgrade. It sounds like small electrical discharge... maybe the capacitors? Do you have this kind of thing in your fiio? 

The click that @Jasiekor mentioned was not present on my first unit. I replaced my device because the wheel was a bit tight. The click is present in my current unit. Does this click affect the hardware or my headphone in anyway at all? Is the click very common or happens only with very few units?

Edit: No worries. Did some digging and learnt that it has been implemented that way to protect the headphones.

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #6,084 of 9,972
Is the scroll wheel used for anything other than menu navigation?

i auditioned the X3II at Bic Camera Yurakucho and apart from really liking the sound, I found myself wishing the wheel could scrub the track a la the ipods or even adjust volume. Now i know those aren't primary concerns for a SQ-focused player like this, and rightly so, but i couldn't help myself. :p

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #6,085 of 9,972
Is the scroll wheel used for anything other than menu navigation?

i auditioned the X3II at Bic Camera Yurakucho and apart from really liking the sound, I found myself wishing the wheel could scrub the track a la the ipods or even adjust volume. Now i know those aren't primary concerns for a SQ-focused player like this, and rightly so, but i couldn't help myself. :p

You can't search/scan tracks with the wheel, but you can adjust volume when the screen is on. You need to hold the centre button until the volum graphic appears and then you can use the wheel to adjust the level.

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #6,087 of 9,972
:beerchug:

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #6,088 of 9,972
I really want to take a moment here to appreciate Fiio for delivering such a great UI. It is minimalistic, functional and well thought out. I am running the FW 1.3.

My favorite: One long press of the Menu button (top left) anywhere in the device brings you back to the ‘Now Playing’ screen.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6,089 of 9,972
  I really want to take a moment here to appreciate Fiio for delivering such a great UI. It is minimalistic, functional and well thought out. I am running the FW 1.3.

My favorite: One long press of the Menu button (top left) anywhere in the device brings you back to the ‘Now Playing’ screen.

+1 YES!  Now that I don't get any glitches anymore after updating to FW 1.3 (except for the occasional failure of sound output when I hoook it up as a USB DAC, but restarting the device always fixes that rigth up), I have to say the UI has been streamlined and is truly fantastic now.  I love it!  Makes me look forward to getting a X7 even more :p

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #6,090 of 9,972

+1 YES!  Now that I don't get any glitches anymore after updating to FW 1.3 (except for the occasional failure of sound output when I hoook it up as a USB DAC, but restarting the device always fixes that rigth up), I have to say the UI has been streamlined and is truly fantastic now.  I love it!  Makes me look forward to getting a X7 even more :p

The X7? Nice. I am a physical button fan. I am looking at the X5ii as it is on sale at Sonic Electronix for $315. Love the fact that it has a better screen and slightly better sound. But I am being a little hesitant as I have heard that; huge music library, album arts and EQ can make the X5ii sluggish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back