The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Aug 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #5,162 of 9,972
  Nota Bene.

Nice answer, smart-aleck >_<  I'm asking for the meaning of NB as in "NB number" (in my case, w233b or something like that) of a Fiio X3ii. . .

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #5,163 of 9,972
  Nice answer, smart-aleck >_<  I'm asking for the meaning of NB as in "NB number" (in my case, w233b or something like that) of a Fiio X3ii. . .

Interpolate beat me to it! I was going to give you the same answer as he did. I don't really know what NB means in the context you are asking though..."N.B. is an abbreviation for the Latin nota bene, which means "note well." It is normally used at the beginning of a sentence in order to inform the reader that the following words are of great importance."

Straight from Wikipedia so it must be true!

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #5,164 of 9,972

That's so weird because mine doesnm't do that at all.  I'd contact Fiio about it directly, if I were you.

it seems like lots of folks are having isseus with particular players having firmware glitches or things along those lines.  Or perhaps it's an issue with the actual wiring of hte player.

There's one thing you could try before going to the trouble of actually contacting Fiio.  You could try to re-install the firmware v1.1

I'm a bit of a nervous nelly when it comes to firmware updates and haven't updated my X3ii (it's still on the original firmware).  So far I have not experienced any issues with my unit and you guys are making me cautious about even attempting any updates.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #5,165 of 9,972
  I'm a bit of a nervous nelly when it comes to firmware updates and haven't updated my X3ii (it's still on the original firmware).  So far I have not experienced any issues with my unit and you guys are making me cautious about even attempting any updates.

Nah man the v1.1 firmware is DEFINITELY better, feature-wise, than the v1.0, if you are in fact still using the latter.  In terms of glitches, there will NOT in any way be MORE possibility of glitches with v1.1 than v1.0.  And if, for some CRAZY reason, you end up running into issues with v1.1, you can use the same method as yuo do for updating (copy the firmware file into the root directory of FAT32 formatted mirco-SD, etc. etc.) to re-install and revert back to v1.0.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #5,166 of 9,972
I bought my X3II as a used like new from a company that had it as a floor model and they had already put the newest firmware on it so I don't know what its like without. I do wish I didn't have to go through all that crap to get the USB DAC function to work on my Windows 8.1.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #5,167 of 9,972
  I bought my X3II as a used like new from a company that had it as a floor model and they had already put the newest firmware on it so I don't know what its like without. I do wish I didn't have to go through all that crap to get the USB DAC function to work on my Windows 8.1.

Once you DO have it working as a DAC, though, it improves your computer's sound by leaps and bounds, doesn't it man? :)  Gotta hand it to Fiio for making a device which basically serves as two devices in one, for under 200 dollars!

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #5,168 of 9,972
Once you DO have it working as a DAC, though, it improves your computer's sound by leaps and bounds, doesn't it man? :)  Gotta hand it to Fiio for making a device which basically serves as two devices in one, for under 200 dollars!

Yeah it does improve the computers stock sound card by leaps and bounds. Fiio really does make a quality product for the masses that won't break the bank as they say.

I'm really wanting to see what the X7 is going to be like but for now I'm very happy with my X3II.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #5,170 of 9,972
They've uploaded a photo in their facebook page :

www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO/photos/

Though I'm not sure if it's real.

It's real. James just posted the same X7 pic in the X7 thread.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #5,171 of 9,972
I wanted to ask X3 2nd gen community. Why is it so picky about coaxial cable? Why does my Fiio X5 coaxial output works absolutely with any cable but my X3 2nd gen works only with the special adaptor cable supplied? Is it because it is Aux/Coax combined?

Actually to find that out I had to travel all the way back to my supplier claiming that coaxial output doesn't work until he showed me that it only works with the special cable included in the box. Before that I tried every cable in my inventory including a dedicated mono coaxial cable which comes with iBasso D14 but neither of them worked. 

Since I'm not in the mood for stacking cables, could anyone suggest a 3.5mm male - 3.5mm male interconnect coaxial cable that would actually work with my X3 2nd gen without workarounds?

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #5,172 of 9,972
I wanted to ask X3 2nd gen community. Why is it so picky about coaxial cable? Why does my Fiio X5 coaxial output works absolutely with any cable but my X3 2nd gen works only with the special adaptor cable supplied? Is it because it is Aux/Coax combined?

Actually to find that out I had to travel all the way back to my supplier claiming that coaxial output doesn't work until he showed me that it only works with the special cable included in the box. Before that I tried every cable in my inventory including a dedicated mono coaxial cable which comes with iBasso D14 but neither of them worked. 

Since I'm not in the mood for "special" cables, could anyone suggest a 3.5mm male - 3.5mm male interconnect coaxial cable that would actually work with my X3 2nd gen without workarounds?

You said it already, it's because the line out and coaxial out are combined. You can't just use a mono plug like with the original X5 because the pins won't line up. What's the issue with using the one supplied with the X3ii? Plug an RCA 75 Ohm coaxial cable in to the supplied adaptor and it should work fine. If not contact FiiO for a new one.

Unfortunately if you want an all in one cable you need to search for one or have one made. That's the downside to combined output ports.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #5,173 of 9,972
You said it already, it's because the line out and coaxial out are combined. You can't just use a mono plug like with the original X5 because the pins won't line up. What's the issue with using the one supplied with the X3ii? Plug an RCA 75 Ohm coaxial cable in to the supplied adaptor and it should work fine. If not contact FiiO for a new one.

I corrected my original message. The issue is - I don't want to go stacking cables. I like everything neat and organized.

Another issue. I might loose the original cable but I don't want to be bound to Fiio as cable supplier.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #5,174 of 9,972
I corrected my original message. The issue is - I don't want to go stacking cables. I like everything neat and organized.

Another issue. I might loose the original cable but I don't want to be bound to Fiio as cable supplier.

Lol, I also edited my first post. Like I say in my edit, that's the downside of combined ports and I'm not really a fan.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #5,175 of 9,972
Thanks. That will give me some experience not to buy DAPs with combined ports for my personal use. Luckily it was a gift for my wife who does not care about it anyway :) She is happy with the sound it produces. She even declined every portable amp suggested by me. Says it's good by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back