The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
May 27, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #6,991 of 7,793
I'm thinking about getting an X1 but the menu structure for choosing music is really important to me. I'd like things sorted by my tags by ordering everything on the player into visible folders by artist, then by album. That's how I have it in Windows Explorer. Is that possible and if not can this be modified?

Also, every image I see of a sing playing shows the album art in the background but cropped on the top and bottom. Is there any way to show the full cover even if it means bars on the sides?

May 27, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #6,992 of 7,793
I'm thinking about getting an X1 but the menu structure for choosing music is really important to me. I'd like things sorted by my tags by ordering everything on the player into visible folders by artist, then by album. That's how I have it in Windows Explorer. Is that possible and if not can this be modified?

Also, every image I see of a sing playing shows the album art in the background but cropped on the top and bottom. Is there any way to show the full cover even if it means bars on the sides?

If that's how you have the files organized into folders you can just copy the whole thing over to your card and browse by folders on the X1. That's arguably the best way to navigate on the X players anyway (in contrast to navigating by tags).

No real solution to the album art cropping problem, sorry.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #6,993 of 7,793

You can used Windows media player to sync your music to the card and it will organize it how you want or you can copy and paste.  Either way will display your music artist/album.

May 27, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #6,994 of 7,793
No real solution to the album art cropping problem, sorry.

That's a really big shame, I have to say, at least for me it is. I know, I know, it's a music player what do I care what is on the screen. Well, I for one disagree with that idea. The reason I keep my records, my CDs, is because to me the visual aspect is a big part of the listening experience. And not being able to see the full artwork is something that will always bug me because the majority of the things I listen to have artwork that are LP jackets. I'm sorry, I wanna see those fully. What a shame, I really would have loved this player. Specs-wise it's perfect for me.

May 27, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #6,995 of 7,793

Yes it's possible to put your music in folders named by artists which each include subfolders named by albums and so on... so there's no problem regarding that if that's what you're wondering.

If the aspect ratio of your album art image is 1:1 and its resolution is for example 600x600 pixels, you can always resize your image to 240x240 pixels while maintaining the original aspect ratio. That will make your image crop horizontally 40 pixels from each side (black bars) but you should still see the whole picture on the screen of X1.

Edit: Or at least in theory, can't guarantee it for 100% sure...

May 27, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #6,996 of 7,793

If the aspect ratio of your album art image is 1:1 and its resolution is for example 600x600 pixels, you can always resize your image to 240x240 pixels while maintaining the original aspect ratio. That will make your image crop horizontally 40 pixels from each side (black bars) but you should still see the whole picture on the screen of X1.  

I'd have to do this for close to 2500 albums in case I ever wanted them on my player. Just not practical.

May 27, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #6,997 of 7,793

Yes it's possible to put your music in folders named by artists which each include subfolders named by albums and so on... so there's no problem regarding that if that's what you're wondering.

The "correct" hack is to resize the album art and put black borders around the square image in the image file itself--so that it's the black borders and not the image proper that's cropped out.

I'd have to do this for close to 2500 albums in case I ever wanted them on my player. Just not practical.

That's why I said there's no real solution to this problem...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #6,998 of 7,793
The "correct" hack" is to resize the album art and put black borders around the square image in the image file itself--so that it's the black borders and not the image proper that's cropped out.
That's why I said there's no real solution to this problem...

Yes it is, in case the player can't align the square image to the center without stretching it (i'm not sure how the sw handles the images). Otherwise the solution you described above is sadly the only one working...

And yes, modifying all the images again is inconceivably tedious but however possible.

Edit: Actually it would be nice to know how the player sw handles the cover images. If the square image file's resolution is lower than the native screen resolution 320x240, does it enlarge the image to correspond the larger horizontal resolution of the player screen causing the image always to crop from the top and bottom? Or is it able to show the image as a whole only by leaving the extra resolution of the sides of the screen black? Hmm.. maybe I should try this out some day.

May 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #6,999 of 7,793
This could be a future new option Fiio could add about configuring how the player shows the album covers. I see at least two options:

1) Cropped cover (current implementation) 
2) Full cover (adding black bars as needed)

May 27, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #7,000 of 7,793
Edit: Actually it would be nice to know how the player sw handles the cover images. If the square image file's resolution is lower than the native screen resolution 320x240, does it enlarge the image to correspond the larger horizontal resolution of the player screen causing the image always to crop from the top and bottom? Or is it able to show the image as a whole only by leaving the extra resolution of the sides of the screen black? Hmm.. maybe I should try this out some day.

I like your thinking here--just resize everything to 240x240 and hopefully the player doesn't stretch small album art to go off the edge of the screen? Would be trying this myself if I were still FiiO's rep lol

May 27, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #7,001 of 7,793
Hey guys and gals!  I've been using the X1 over the past couple of days and I'm really enjoying the sound.  I find the sound quality goes up a notch with the line out to Fiio's A3 amp.  Is there any way to lower the volume of the line out?  The volume get pretty loud just after the channel imbalance(between 1 and 2) on the A3.  I've been using the combo(X1 and A3) with Sennheiser's HD448 and HD518.

May 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #7,002 of 7,793
  Hey guys and gals!  I've been using the X1 over the past couple of days and I'm really enjoying the sound.  I find the sound quality goes up a notch with the line out to Fiio's A3 amp.  Is there a way to lower the volume of the line out?  The volume get pretty loud just after the channel imbalance(between 1 and 2) on the A3.  I've been using the combo(X1 and A3) with Sennheiser's HD448 and HD518.

Unfortunately no (you can do it on the X3ii and X5ii - but no variable line-out on X1).  Best you could do is run the A3 from the X1's headphone out.  Double amping - but its a pretty clean source. Just think of the A3 as a gain switch 
wink.gif

May 27, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #7,003 of 7,793

Unfortunately no (you can do it on the X3ii and X5ii - but no variable line-out on X1).  Best you could do is run the A3 from the X1's headphone out.  Double amping - but its a pretty clean source. Just think of the A3 as a gain switch 
wink.gif

Ah, I see.  I'll try the headphone out then.  Thanks for the advice Brooko.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #7,004 of 7,793
just 2 week of owning an X1, i kept getting the error "Output Error Please Reinsert Eaephones"
this is getting more frequent...
any idea how to solve it? im on FW 1.6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back