The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Feb 1, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #4,951 of 7,793
Just got my X1 yesterday. Sound is great and I find the looks much sexier than an iPod.

It does have some quirks but two things that really drive me crazy:

1. Why isn't volume control the default function of the clickwheel in the now playing screen? Seems so much more intuitive. Instead I have to either hold the center button or press the volume buttons first. Why?

2. Why does the screen timeout also lock the screen? If I wanted to lock my screen I would do it myself. It's not a cellphone. I'm not going to accidentally text my mother-in-law. Any way to disable that?

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #4,952 of 7,793
Just got my X1 yesterday. Sound is great and I find the looks much sexier than an iPod.

1. Why isn't volume control the default function of the clickwheel in the now playing screen? Seems so much more intuitive. Instead I have to either hold the center button or press the volume buttons first. Why?

2. Why does the screen timeout also lock the screen? If I wanted to lock my screen I would do it myself. It's not a cellphone. I'm not going to accidentally text my mother-in-law. Any way to disable that?

I think I felt the same, and I came from Ipods as well. The scroll wheel does feel more obvious for volume control. I also don't like the idea that you can't hold the volume button down to go up or down quickly. You have to pitter patter away, one step at a time which is annoying sometimes.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #4,953 of 7,793
I think I felt the same, and I came from Ipods as well. The scroll wheel does feel more obvious for volume control. I also don't like the idea that you can't hold the volume button down to go up or down quickly. You have to pitter patter away, one step at a time which is annoying sometimes.

I can hold the volume button down and have the volume change relatively quickly. You have to do a couple of steps to get it accurate but if you are after a big volume leap it works.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #4,955 of 7,793
Ooh er. .... I'm sorry. I just tried it and it works fine.

Am I remembering the old firmware or something? Sorry, I take that back; the volume does indeed work by holding the button down.

I seem to remember doing it before and it moved on to the next track or something. Or maybe my age has finally caught up with me? :wink:

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #4,956 of 7,793
Ooh er. .... I'm sorry. I just tried it and it works fine.

Am I remembering the old firmware or something? Sorry, I take that back; the volume does indeed work by holding the button down.

I seem to remember doing it before and it moved on to the next track or something. Or maybe my age has finally caught up with me?
wink.gif

Perhaps you had it set on one of the lock screens that uses the volume buttons to change tracks?

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #4,958 of 7,793

Give it some time.

I like the fact that when the screen is unlocked, rolling the wheel brings up the track selection for the folder/album/playlist you're in. After a while it becomes intuitive. And imagine for a second if the wheel only controlled the volume ....... screen unlocked, accidentally jog the wheel ........ ears stop ringing in about 10 minutes!  IMO Fiio got this one right.

As far as the Lockscreen goes - never really thought about it before. What would your preference be?  Basically same time-out to blank screen, and then any button push wakes it up? Could be worth suggesting to Fiio - just need to be very clear about what you wnat, and have enough support for the feature.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,959 of 7,793

Give it some time.

I like the fact that when the screen is unlocked, rolling the wheel brings up the track selection for the folder/album/playlist you're in. After a while it becomes intuitive. And imagine for a second if the wheel only controlled the volume ....... screen unlocked, accidentally jog the wheel ........ ears stop ringing in about 10 minutes!  IMO Fiio got this one right.

As far as the Lockscreen goes - never really thought about it before. What would your preference be?  Basically same time-out to blank screen, and then any button push wakes it up? Could be worth suggesting to Fiio - just need to be very clear about what you wnat, and have enough support for the feature.

The wheel doesn't change the volume that rapidly so accidental scrolls wouldn't result in more than a 2-3 step change. I still like the fact it scrolls the current playlist but I would reverse the functions - volume control is default and holding the center key to scroll the playlist (like RockBox).

I think the screen locking will be easier for me to get used to so not such a big deal as the volume. I would rather have the option to just shut the screen off and it just wakes up when I press a key/scroll. After that we can have a separate option for lock timeout (like on a smartphone).

Where do you think I should suggest these to Fiio? This forum or the one on their website?

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,960 of 7,793
Joe regularly checks the forums - so you could try PMing him.  Not sure if the X1 has a bugzilla site like the X5 has - but that was one where you could list bugs and also request feature changes. Other option is to start a poll listing the feature you want - and see how much support you get.  Then direct Joe to that.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #4,961 of 7,793
Joe regularly checks the forums - so you could try PMing him.  Not sure if the X1 has a bugzilla site like the X5 has - but that was one where you could list bugs and also request feature changes. Other option is to start a poll listing the feature you want - and see how much support you get.  Then direct Joe to that.

I'm watching :)

Unfortunately I don't think FiiO will consider such changes as of now. They are more set on fixing some persistent bugs in the firmware than on changing the UI (yet?) again.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #4,964 of 7,793
  By the way, did a red version of the stock theme with a higher contrast top bar and white song title. Anyone interested I can share.

What version is it? I'd love a red version of 1.2; thanks for making it, and I would love it if you'd be willing to share it.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #4,965 of 7,793

What version is it? I'd love a red version of 1.2; thanks for making it, and I would love it if you'd be willing to share it.

That's not possible as 1.2 hasn't been (and probably won't be) released to the public. 1.1 is the latest stable version and 1.22 is the latest beta version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back