The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Jan 26, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #931 of 1,039
Does anyone know how to remove the A5 circuit board from the metal chassis? I can't figure out how to disassemble this darn thing. The bassboost switch on the side and the volume knob seem to be an impediment to sliding out the chassis.

I need to find out of the battery can be replaced because it's wearing down.

The volume knob pulls off of the potentiometer post. The bass boost switch pulls straight out with your fingernails.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #933 of 1,039
The volume knob pulls off of the potentiometer post. The bass boost switch pulls straight out with your fingernails.

Okay, so I removed the two rear screws and the volume pot. I tried to pull the bass boost slider out with tweezers and that didn't work because there's no way to get a grip on the slider. Eventually I removed the tiny slider peg by prying at it's base with a mini flat head screw driver.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the mother board assembly to slide out of the metal chassis. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly but I pushed inward on the volume pot axle. I applied what I consider a lot of pressure but nothing budged. Am I missing something here? Maybe the battery pack expanded over time and reduced the clearance in the chassis?

UPDATE: Ended up accidentally disconnecting one of the four battery wires from the motherboard. It was impossible to get back into the stupid little connector. Then when I tried to remove the wire connector the remaining wires disconnected. So I was left with a completely disconnected battery and no way to reattach it. The parts are too small for human eyes to fiddle with. I would need a jewelers magnifier lamp and steady hands to work such a miracle. Ended smashing the piece of crap in frustration. Felt good. My advice is don't disassemble your FiiO devices if you have one.

20210126_220420_2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #934 of 1,039
Okay, so I removed the two rear screws and the volume pot. I tried to pull the bass boost slider out with tweezers and that didn't work because there's no way to get a grip on the slider. Eventually I removed the tiny slider peg by prying at it's base with a mini flat head screw driver.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the mother board assembly to slide out of the metal chassis. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly but I pushed inward on the volume pot axle. I applied what I consider a lot of pressure but nothing budged. Am I missing something here? Maybe the battery pack expanded over time and reduced the clearance in the chassis?

UPDATE: Ended up accidentally disconnecting one of the four battery wires from the motherboard. It was impossible to get back into the stupid little connector. Then when I tried to remove the wire connector the remaining wires disconnected. So I was left with a completely disconnected battery and no way to reattach it. The parts are too small for human eyes to fiddle with. I would need a jewelers magnifier lamp and steady hands to work such a miracle. Ended smashing the piece of crap in frustration. Felt good. My advice is don't disassemble your FiiO devices if you have one.

20210126_220420_2.jpg

Ummm, you didn't have to smash it. I could have easily fixed it, or even bought it off of you broken

In fact, I'd still be willing to buy the smashed one off of you for spare parts for mine. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #935 of 1,039
Ummm, you didn't have to smash it. I could have easily fixed it, or even bought it off of you broken

In fact, I'd still be willing to buy the smashed one off of you for spare parts for mine. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Well you shouldn't have told me how to take it apart. Look what happened!

It's going to the landfill.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #938 of 1,039
Teac P90 as an amp, way better, not that powerful.

Teac is a garbage brand like Audio GD. Been proven across the major audio enthusiast forums and by Audio Precision measurements.

For now I'm going to move back to a desktop setup for most of my serious music listening and stick with LG Quad Dac output and LDAC Bluetooth transmission for my portable needs.

The audio industry has largely abandoned the midpriced portable DAC/AMP market. All we have to choose from is ChiFi bottom feeder garbage, stupid dongles, and then overpriced esoteric offerings from iFi and Woo Audio. Those overpriced products still miss the mark and fall short of what a $400 Schiit stack, to name one example, will get you in terms of sound quality and enjoyment.

Up until a couple months ago I had an original Magni 3 that purchased back in 2017. It literally blew the FiiO A5 out of the water. And I even did a direct comparison, plugging my Musical Fidelity V-DAC into the FiiO A5 for an apples to apples comparison. The A5 sounded muffled and unresolving compared to the transparency and energy of the Magni. It was amazing. However I decided to sell the Magni because it was a little too bright sounding for my taste. I'll probably grab an Asgard 3 and go from there.

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #939 of 1,039
Any one know where to get a replacement battery?

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #941 of 1,039
It maybe harder to ship, I was hoping for brand new (un-smashed)

Before I attempt to open this thing up, have any tips (accept for smashing it up)

It's a pretty good Lil amp, was thinking about changing out the muses for something a bit less warm was looking through the thread, I think I have a 49720 and a few AD oamps, might try the socket, any other recommendations? was wondering how

the 3 stacked battery would work if all else fails, noticed somebody had done that, wonder how that worked out

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #942 of 1,039
It maybe harder to ship, I was hoping for brand new (un-smashed)

Before I attempt to open this thing up, have any tips (accept for smashing it up)

It's a pretty good Lil amp, was thinking about changing out the muses for something a bit less warm was looking through the thread, I think I have a 49720 and a few AD oamps, might try the socket, any other recommendations? was wondering how

the 3 stacked battery would work if all else fails, noticed somebody had done that, wonder how that worked out

When you open it up, the battery should say somewhere on it some numbers. These numbers translate to the mm dimensions.

For example, if it says 3.7v 703030, that is a 3.7v battery that is 70mm x 30mm x 30mm. It may not say on the top, it may say under the double sided tape where they stock it down. But it should say somewhere.

If it doesn't say for some reason, just use some calipers and take your own measurements.

Once you have the dimensions, it's just a matter of searching on Aliexpress or eBay for the same battery (voltage a dimensions).

I've replaced many batteries this way, and all have worked out fine.

As far as tips, smashing is totally unnecessary. You simply pull the volume knob straight off, and then pull the bass switch straight off as well. Then it's a matter of removing the screws and sliding the whole thing apart.

Soldering skills and the appropriate tools to open the case are obviously necessary.

Easy as pie. But if it's way over your head, a local cell phone electronics repair shop should be able to do it, or even another experienced HeadFier.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #945 of 1,039
You can send your A5 to me. I can disconnect the battery for you.
Unfortunately I don't live such privileged life, I work very hard for the toys I buy, even if I didn't like it, smashing it is not an option, I paid around 100 bucks used, so unless you feel like throwing more of your money away simply because of some weird ego thing.
send me 100 plus shipping and its yours..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back