The Extra Bass of the JH16
May 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
I'm not an owner of either the JH13 or the JH16 but curiosity has seized me.  Right now, there are two JH13s up for sale, both of them hundreds of dollars below their original price, neither of which looks to be in any immediate danger of being grabbed up.  Given the fact that remolding is only $80, I'm wondering if the hesitation isn't because of the release of the JH16, with its extra bass.

What I'm wondering, as someone who has owned neither IEM, is whether there's any downside to spending more for such extra bass.  When Ultimate Ears introduced the UE11 as an upgrade to the UE10, there was this hype cloud that hovered over the horizon for quite a while.  It initially devalued the UE10's status by making it the "former flagship," even though - as a flagship - the UE10 had been legendary.  It was THE IEM to own back when it was the only custom in existence.  It's like UE pulled a New Coke on its own flagship, only to eventually have the hype wagon roll back on the UE11 as perhaps "too bassy."

Unpredictable consequences flow from tweaks to flagship cans - from the RS1/GS1000 controversy to the HD600/HD650 scuffle.  Manufacturers tend to fix the problem by introducing a next-generation product like the PS1000 and the HD800.  Westone's upgrade of the UM2 - the expected UM3 - turned into the bassier Westone 3 and the more-neutral UM3X (with the latter being named to match its custom ES3X because both share identical drivers and crossovers).

UE has moved to up-end the JH16 with its UE18, but apart from using a higher number (cunning strategy), I don't see the UE18 as much of a threat to the JH16, at least where six drivers are supposed to beat eight.  Then again, it's not the number of drivers; it's the sound those drivers make.  If anything, the UE18 is a response to the JH13 (though the name may be a response to the JH16).

Both IEMs are a response to the JH13.  This is the IEM both are trying to beat.

So, my question - for anyone who cares to chime in - is whether there's a risk to dethroning the JH13 with a "bassier" version in the JH18.  If the JH18 is better in all ways, all power to it.  But is it?  Is the JH13 really lacking in bass?  If not, what effect does it have to add bass to where the JH13 is already perfect?  Is there any chance of coming off - at least in certain tracks - with a less-perfect presentation?  I understand that there are tracks where you need all the bass you can get, but what about those tracks where you don't?

May 30, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 10
The remold industry, IMO, increased the market for custom IEMs. Instead of being worthless, one can sell their old custom to upgrade. And there are many head-fiers willing to buy used customs for remolding.

May 30, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 10
I wouldn't even consider a used custom for more than 50% of it's retail price.  Asking 700-800 dollars for your used JH13 is silly, imho.  JH Audio just had a sale for the JH13 for 899, and that includes full support and warranty.  For those prices, I'd rather wait a little longer for a sale to appear than for a used one to show up in the F/S section.

May 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Yes i bought the 13 for 899 recently, great deal.  16 has a subwoofer, a nice attraction but also has a higher pricetag and a long wait.  The 13 i got on Thursday, I see absolutely no problem at all with the bass, it is a wonderful iem.  That said, the general rule that is not followed around here i am afraid but is followed elsewhere in electronic sales is 50% plus a tad....if in good condx.  Here there is a good market so some recent gear will fetch alot more than that.  I would wait for a sale myself, might take six months though and you need to check facebook every day and out here.  

May 30, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
So, my question - for anyone who cares to chime in - is whether there's a risk to dethroning the JH13 with a "bassier" version in the JH18.  If the JH18 is better in all ways, all power to it.  But is it?  Is the JH13 really lacking in bass?  If not, what effect does it have to add bass to where the JH13 is already perfect?  Is there any chance of coming off - at least in certain tracks - with a less-perfect presentation?  I understand that there are tracks where you need all the bass you can get, but what about those tracks where you don't?

It doesn't lack in bass when there is bass present in the recording. It is a fairly neutral IEM, like a reference IEM for mixing would be but some people enjoy the extra "fun" that more bass provides even if it's more than the recording originally intended. 

May 30, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Those subminiature speakers are really not that expensive. Here's a list price for some of the Knowles' speakers.
http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=174441060&utm_source=supplier&utm_medium=featured+spotlight&utm_campaign=174441060

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
It doesn't lack in bass when there is bass present in the recording. It is a fairly neutral IEM, like a reference IEM for mixing would be but some people enjoy the extra "fun" that more bass provides even if it's more than the recording originally intended. 

And I personally like the sound of more bass drivers at less volume, it's punchier.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 10
If I were you, I would look into this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485170/review-clash-of-the-titans-3d-jh16-pro-vs-jh13-pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back