The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
Jan 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #571 of 660
yes, X is great, for me the best cd I got in 2010

it's just that the Neal Morse records are real classics, amongst the best prog. records I have

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #572 of 660
Quote:
That was a great observation that without King Crimson prog-rock would probably not be a genre - even though they don't sound at all like modern prog-rock.

Another band like that is Procol Harum. Check out their first, self-titled one, Shine on Brightly and A Salty Dog.  Seminal prog, though noone sounds like them.

- Ed

Procol Harum was ahead of its time. Their first album still puzzles me...

For now some Uriah Heep's album "Salisbury", less progressive but ahead of its time too. David Byron's vocals are amazing... 

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #573 of 660

Skylab, I didn't realize that you also didn't like prog-Genesis. I'm all with you though, something about the sound is just obnoxious (I despise Peter Gabriel's vocals).

Yeah. I also don't like much of the music they were writing. "Carpet Crawlers" is about the only prog-Genesis tune I actually like.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #574 of 660
Consider the first Procol Harum album as a jumping off point from Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, then watch the interaction between The Band and Procol a bit.  They obviously didn't go in the same directions, but the instrumentation is similar and there are definitely some shared themes.

- Ed

Quote:
For now some Uriah Heep's album "Salisbury", less progressive but ahead of its time too. David Byron's vocals are amazing... 

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #576 of 660
Quote:
Consider the first Procol Harum album as a jumping off point from Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, then watch the interaction between The Band and Procol a bit.  They obviously didn't go in the same directions, but the instrumentation is similar and there are definitely some shared themes.

- Ed

Quote:

Thanks, you have just gotten me interested in Bob Dylan and The Band. Procol Harum's first album also reminded me of Deep Purple's album "Deep Purple". I like it more than their later albums I have heard since there is peculiar balance between 'Rock' and everything else in the sound that can also be found on Procol Harum's début album. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #577 of 660

Quote:
For me the best  prog CDs of 2010 are Pain Of Salvation: Road Salt One, Spock's Beard: X and From.Uz: Seventh Story

Totally agree on X and Road salt one

Deep Funk, The Band is fantastic, that movie The Last Waltz will get you into it, great great concert movie. The live version of Forever Young with Dylan....

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #578 of 660
Just had my first listen to Ihsahn. Just listened to After. Some great stuff. Opeth fans need to check it out.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #579 of 660
I've been interested in Procul Harum's debut album for a long time but have never really come across it. I do have A Salty Dog and find it pleasant. Guess I should go and search of the debut album!

Quote:
Quote:

- Ed

Quote:

Thanks, you have just gotten me interested in Bob Dylan and The Band. Procol Harum's first album also reminded me of Deep Purple's album "Deep Purple". I like it more than their later albums I have heard since there is peculiar balance between 'Rock' and everything else in the sound that can also be found on Procol Harum's début album. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #580 of 660
Get the latest release with extra tracks if you want to have their first two singles too. As soon as I get the chance I want to check out their discography. They made some interesting choices with their music. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #581 of 660
Quote:
Just had my first listen to Ihsahn. Just listened to After. Some great stuff. Opeth fans need to check it out.

After is actually my least favorite of his solo albums.  Check out AngL - "The Alchemist" and "Malediction" are my favorites.  "Called By The Fire" off of The Adversary is pretty killer as well.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #582 of 660

You definitely should check it out - many people consider it their best (not sure I'm one of them).  There's a very reasonably priced "30th Anniversary" box set around that has the first four albums (UK versions) plus a CD of hits and outtakes.  That's plenty of Procol, though I personally would add Broken Barricades and possibly the live one with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.

- Ed

Quote:
I've been interested in Procul Harum's debut album for a long time but have never really come across it. I do have A Salty Dog and find it pleasant. Guess I should go and search of the debut album!

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #583 of 660
Don't know if Fen has been mentioned yet, but they are a pretty cool prog rock/metal band

http://inrevu.com/album-review-fen-trails-out-of-gloom/

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #585 of 660
Thanks to this thread, I grabbed Procol Harum's Live in Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra this afternoon. Pristine vinyl, $3. A very cool listen, if not necessarily representative of the rest of the band's output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back