The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
May 7, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #61 of 660
Sad Wing of Destiny is a metal masterpiece - no doubt about it.

May 7, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #62 of 660

Quote:
Does anyone know if 'Lizard' by King Crimson is a worthwhile album in my quest?

Opinion only, of course, but Lizard is the only must-own album (other than In the Court...) from KC's early set. The title track alone is worth the price of admission, and it's the first of their albums that truly feels progressive from a contemporary perspective. In the Wake of Poseidon is basically a rehash of their debut and Islands, while containing some of their "prettiest" compositions, is mostly forgettable.

A few personal favourites:

Yes: The Yes Album, Relayer (people hate this album. Like, HATE IT. It's my personal fave.)
Camel: Music Inspired by The Snow Goose, Moonmadness
Frank Zappa: Hot Rats (good starting point)
Gentle Giant: Acquiring the Taste, Octopus
Genesis: Trespass, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Black Sabbath: S/T, Paranoid, Master of Reality
Deep Purple: In Rock, and really anything with Ian Gillan. I have a real soft spot for Who do We Think We Are?
Anthrax: Among the Living, Spreading the Disease
Baroness: The Red Album, The Blue Album
Mastodon: Leviathan
3 Inches of Blood: Fire Up the Blades (a metal masterpiece, especially if you find yourself digging into Judas Priest)
Danava: S/T, UnonoU

If you like Kyuss, then a few stoner/sludge recommendations (please bear in mind I have terrible taste in Metal by most standards):

Sleep: Holy Mountain, Dopesmoker
High on Fire: Full discography
Weedeater: God Luck and Good Speed
Big Business: Full discography
Witchcraft: Full discography, but their second and third albums especially
Om: God is Good, Variations on a Theme
Eternal Elysium: Spiritualized D
Pearls and Brass: The Indian Tower
Electric Wizard: Come My Fanatics, Dopethrone, Witchcult Today
Boris/Sun O)))): Altar

May 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #63 of 660

Quote:
Opinion only, of course, but Lizard is the only must-own album (other than In the Court...) from KC's early set. The title track alone is worth the price of admission, and it's the first of their albums that truly feels progressive from a contemporary perspective. In the Wake of Poseidon is basically a rehash of their debut and Islands, while containing some of their "prettiest" compositions, is mostly forgettable.

Well, we do all hear differently - I think "Lizard" is only fair.  But surely when you said "KC's Early Set", you meant just the pre-Wetton material?  I think "Red" is their most progressive and seminal work beyond "Court".

May 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #64 of 660
I agree Lizard isn't their best, but I feel like it's the most "progressive" (by modern standards) of their earlier output. And yes, sorry I should have been more clear: Probably wrong to do so, but I kind of put Larks'/Starless/Red into an era of it's own, distinct from their output through to Islands, and most definitely distinct from Discipline onward.

[EDIT] To the OP: In terms of the average fan and critic, In the Court..., Red, and Discipline seem to be the most highly regarded out of their discography. If you're looking for the "must own" titles, these are the ones to go for.

For the record, inclusive of Discipline, I completely write this band off once Levin gets involved.

May 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #65 of 660

Quote:
I agree Lizard isn't their best, but I feel like it's the most "progressive" (by modern standards) of their earlier output. And yes, sorry I should have been more clear: Probably wrong to do so, but I kind of put Larks'/Starless/Red into an era of it's own, distinct from their output through to Islands, and most definitely distinct from Discipline onward.

[EDIT] To the OP: In terms of the average fan and critic, In the Court..., Red, and Discipline seem to be the most highly regarded out of their discography. If you're looking for the "must own" titles, these are the ones to go for.

For the record, inclusive of Discipline, I completely write this band off once Levin gets involved.

I absolutely LOVE Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair.  After that, I'm out.

May 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #66 of 660

Quote:
I absolutely LOVE Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair.  After that, I'm out.

I agree they are the three stand outs for me, but I can still dig the earlier prog and later industrial sounding works. I would recommend Trey Gunn's solo album 'Untune The Sky' for any early 1980s King Crimson fans.

May 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #67 of 660

Quote:
I agree they are the three stand outs for me, but I can still dig the earlier prog and later industrial sounding works. I would recommend Trey Gunn's solo album 'Untune The Sky' for any early 1980s King Crimson fans.

To be clear, I love the earlier Crimson even more than those.  But I do like the first 3 Belew-era KC a lot.  I am a huge Crimson fan in general - just not so much into the more recent Crimson stuff.

May 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #68 of 660

Quote:
Genesis: Trespass, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Odd it's taken so long for Genesis to appear, basically anything with Gabriel & Hackett is superb and after Gabriel left, anything with Hackett is still pretty decent. Selling England by the Pound is my personal favourite.

And to get a glimpse of what must have inspired Peter Gabriel try Van Der Graaf Generator: The least we can do is wave to each other.

May 7, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #69 of 660
Today 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' and 'Red' by King Crimson came in. I listened to both albums on the train, modified HD428 + Sony D-33 = :). The first album surprised me, 'Red' gave me the chills. I have to give both albums a second listen. For me these two albums represent a clash of styles without emphasizing that aspect. The musical transitions are sometimes well, weird.

Regarding 'Lizard', if I happen to like 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' by Pink Floyd should I consider 'Lizard'?  

May 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #70 of 660
Man, what I wouldn't give to have the experience of listening to "Red" for the first time again
L3000.gif

May 8, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #71 of 660

Quote:
I was / still am interested in early Judas Priest ... but their earlier albums aren't easy to get in Hong Kong. Means I will have to mail order from the US, in which case, I'm not sure it is high on the priority list as there are way too many things I want to get and I am real short of $$. Having said that, I really want Sad Wings of Destiny, so when my finances are better, methinks I will eventually get it.

Make sure you get the   Repertoire (label) version its the Germany import but it cost just as much as the USA version. Its a really good transfer.  Make sure to AVOID the Koch US printing version.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=3940878

Like this is the version to buy see in the details label it says Repertoire.

AVOID AVOID AVOID.
Awful US printing from Koch

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1285571

I heard the JVC/Victor Japanese import of Sad Wings of Destiny is good but I haven't heard it.
But it costs 3 times as much as the Germany import from Repertoire.

Rocka Rolla is also done like this from Repertoire and thats the version to also get.
It also has the original Coca Cola bottle cap cover too.

Also you might want to try amazon.com marketplace this one seller importcds sells internationally. I buy albums from them all the time there great. Probably work out international shipping wise but I wouldn't know but the shipping charge isn't bad at all $6.89. Just take awhile like 2 weeks.
Just again make sure to get the right version. Amazon is cluttered with versions.
Sad Wings Of Destiny is 1995 -Repertoire
Rocka Rolla 1993 -Repertoire

May 8, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #73 of 660
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:

Make sure you get the   Repertoire (label) version its the Germany import but it cost just as much as the USA version. Its a really good transfer.  Make sure to AVOID the Koch US printing version.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=3940878

Like this is the version to buy see in the details label it says Repertoire.

AVOID AVOID AVOID.
Awful US printing from Koch

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1285571

I heard the JVC/Victor Japanese import of Sad Wings of Destiny is good but I haven't heard it.
But it costs 3 times as much as the Germany import from Repertoire.

Rocka Rolla is also done like this from Repertoire and thats the version to also get.
It also has the original Coca Cola bottle cap cover too.

Also you might want to try amazon.com marketplace this one seller importcds sells internationally. I buy albums from them all the time there great. Probably work out international shipping wise but I wouldn't know but the shipping charge isn't bad at all $6.89. Just take awhile like 2 weeks.
Just again make sure to get the right version. Amazon is cluttered with versions.
Sad Wings Of Destiny is 1995 -Repertoire
Rocka Rolla 1993 -Repertoire

May 8, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #74 of 660
As far as progressive rock goes, I think the most interesting thing I've heard lately has been Vehicle from a band called miRthkon. This is basically a modern day incarnation of Frank Zappa playing in unison with Mr. Bungle, with more or less everything else but the kitchen sink thrown in at one point or another. A nice example of a band that's progressive by ideal, rather than by style.

On the metal end, I would have to say check out Anthology II: Links From the Dead Trinity from a band called Akphaezya. If you've ever heard Atrox, it's sort of like that, but maybe not as random. Bears some resemblance to uneXpect, but maybe not as scattershot. Pretty cool anyways.

~

May 8, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #75 of 660
In my original post I totally forgot 1 album.

Helloween -The Time Of The Oath 1996   -that's one really great album.
Its got a bit of everything. Great leads,solos,riffs,grooves,ballads,thrashing/speed,vocals,hooks,drums etc..

In a Japanese metal magazine it was called the best metal album of 1996.Although that could just mean nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back