The EU Volume Cap discussion
Nov 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Whitigir

Member of the Trade: Portable Modder
Original post from the "NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!!" thread. 

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Someone in Romania just went and tried the WM1A and he simply said that the volume is low compared to the spec rating.  I would audition it first and not buy it blind.

Logically speaking, all Cap should be the same thing. FE, If Volume caps were required for 85Db, then it doesn't matter what output Power a device has, it will always be capped at 85 Db.

I am saying if Zx2 as a being of 15mW per channel needed that "cap". The 1A/Z will be needing it worse. In simple term, if Zx2 was capped to be sitting around 7mW (due to the law) then the A/Z will also be capped and sitting at 7mW. It only make logical senses.

I may be wrong as I am only applied logical thinking and speculation here. Therefore I totally suggest people to Audition the Capped unit on all devices before they decide to purchase it, and even if you never would listen to headphones, you should audition it with a headphones to see if it is the right thing for you

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 35
Yes the Eu caped 1A/z will have 3.5mw in low gain 7 mw in high gain on SE, and 8.5mw in low gain and 10mw in high gain in balanced, if it is to speculate without having heard lets go...

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 35
Yes the Eu caped 1A/z will have 3.5mw in low gain 7 mw in high gain on SE, and 8.5mw in low gain and 10mw in high gain in balanced, if it is to speculate without having heard lets go...

You couldn't read my post throughoutly ?

The Law don't discriminate

The law applies to all exactly the same

The law say stealing is stealing, doesn't mean you are 100 lbs person, or 500 lbs person. If you steal, you steal, and you are a thieve, period.

The law say the volume must be capped, then there is no Discrimination on this Cap. Doesn't matter how powerful a device is, all Cap should be the same

Because it is the law, period.

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 35
Please think before saying things that makes no sense, do you believe that sony had made a top walkman that will not even ( in europe) will make is own headphones play? The last person who told that the eu plays low , i asked him if it was on SE or BALANCED ...do you get any answer ? Noooo

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 35
The law don't tells what is the tool to measure the spl, or the zx2 had a sensor that when you where earing it with a 130 db sensitive iem to prevent the 80 dbs?

Dennis, it may not make senses to you, that is fine. But do you even read ? There is Google, you know ? 89Db is the Cap for Europe, it doesn't matter if you can make a Walkman that is capable of 1000W, you have to cap it at 89Db.

Are you looking down on Sony engineers that they couldn't measure the DB level of their own Product to Comply with the Law ? Common man

Here, this is it.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-09-1364_en.htm

If you don't want to believe it ? I will not argue with you any further....just look, and read into it before you decide to call some body for being non-senses. Please, do yourself a favor and go witness it by audition it in person. I totally agree and suggest people to do so regarding the Capped walkman

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 35
Dennis, it may not make senses to you, that is fine. But do you even read ? There is Google, you know ? 89Db is the Cap for Europe, it doesn't matter if you can make a Walkman that is capable of 1000W, you have to cap it at 89Db.

Are you looking down on Sony engineers that they couldn't measure the DB level of their own Product to Comply with the Law ? Common man

Here, this is it.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-09-1364_en.htm

If you don't want to believe it ? I will not argue with you any further....just look, and read into it before you decide to call some body for being non-senses. Please, do yourself a favor and go witness it by audition it in person. I totally agree and suggest people to do so regarding the Capped walkman
But 89 db measure with an Abyss or with a jh laylas?the law tells you that?yes maybe by the end of the week i will listen, like i tell you and i tell again and again and again, 15mw is low power caped or not, 60 mw into 16 ohms is still low , so if you try to plug big phones it will still be low caped or not caped , the balanced output will answer all the questions , the UE is capped but not like the zx2

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 35
But 89 db measure with an Abyss or with a jh laylas?the law tells you that?

Ok Dennis, It doesn't matter...because it is Sony. Whatever or however they successfully Implanted the cap on the Zx2 , they will do the same on 1A/Z Walkman. So the new Walkman will have Similar output as Zx2 capped.

Does it make sense to you ? If it doesn't, forget it. This is all I tried to clear up for people from my original few posts back

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 35
Ok Dennis, It doesn't matter...because it is Sony. Whatever or however they successfully Implanted the cap on the Zx2 , they will do the same on 1A/Z Walkman. So the new Walkman will have Similar output as Zx2 capped.

Does it make sense to you ? If it doesn't, forget it. This is all I tried to clear up for people from my original few posts back
no it makes no sense

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 35
no it makes no sense

There is an awful lot of opinion expressed as fact.

Onkyo, not a small company, has got around the EU cap on the DP-X1, so we shouldn't infer that the 1a and 1z must be the same as the ZX2. Headphone impedance and efficiency are bound to confuse things further.

Who, in this thread, has heard  a capped 1a or 1z. Could they comment directly please?

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 35
Ok ,lets put the things in this prespective , i had a EU zx2 in the past, that has i said in the right tread i use to listen to it in about 60% of volume with my ie800 and was satisfied, but when i was in the burning process i use to leave the zx2 working all night in 70/80 % of the volume, in the next morning it apears a warning saying that i am playing to loud and the volume is lowered to 40% now think with me please and them call me crazy, if the zx2 is caped at 89 db why that warning?if the cap is to prevent earing damage it should be able to play forever at max volume,don't it?

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 35
Logically speaking, all Cap should be the same thing. FE, If Volume caps were required for 85Db, then it doesn't matter what output Power a device has, it will always be capped at 85 Db.

I am saying if Zx2 as a being of 15mW per channel needed that "cap". The 1A/Z will be needing it worse. In simple term, if Zx2 was capped to be sitting around 7mW (due to the law) then the A/Z will also be capped and sitting at 7mW. It only make logical senses.

I may be wrong as I am only applied logical thinking and speculation here. Therefore I totally suggest people to Audition the Capped unit on all devices before they decide to purchase it, and even if you never would listen to headphones, you should audition it with a headphones to see if it is the right thing for you

You couldn't read my post throughoutly ?

The Law don't discriminate

The law applies to all exactly the same

The law say stealing is stealing, doesn't mean you are 100 lbs person, or 500 lbs person. If you steal, you steal, and you are a thieve, period.

The law say the volume must be capped, then there is no Discrimination on this Cap. Doesn't matter how powerful a device is, all Cap should be the same

Because it is the law, period.

You don't like the volume cap - it seems. 

Well - I don't like it either - but let's put it this way - they can test the volume cap with IEMs at 16OHM and 100db SPL - and cap them at 85DB - this means that power hungry headphones - or hard to drive ones - are a no go.

Which is sad - because the device itself is kinda cool - especially for those who enjoy a premium. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #15 of 35
Ok ,lets put the things in this prespective , i had a EU zx2 in the past, that has i said in the right tread i use to listen to it in about 60% of volume with my ie800 and was satisfied, but when i was in the burning process i use to leave the zx2 working all night in 70/80 % of the volume, in the next morning it apears a warning saying that i am playing to loud and the volume is lowered to 40% now think with me please and them call me crazy, if the zx2 is caped at 89 db why that warning?if the cap is to prevent earing damage it should be able to play forever at max volume,don't it?

The EU cap rules set two limits, a lower limit of 85 db and an upper limit of 100 db. The volume can be raised to the lower limit for an indefinite amount of time. The user may raise the volume beyond the lower limit up to to the upper limit, provided there is a warning which the user is made to acknowledge, and this warning has to be repeated at regular intervals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back