The Entry Level Stax Thread
Oct 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #3,271 of 3,322
I have two copies now and I was quite surprised when I compared the two. I've sent the bad one for repair, it will cost more than what I paid for in the first place, but I am curious about how it will turn out. When they describe the SR-X Mk3 as 'exceedingly bright' they might just be listening to a pair that is in need of a refurbishment.

The Pro bias headphones seems to be much more resilient to aging (also more of them were used with a dedicated amp instead of an adapter when damage is more likely to occur). At least I tested three copies of the Lambda Pro and they were much more consistent.
The SRX-3 Mik 3. Pro or normal will never be a bass monster. The 50mm diaphragm on an electrostatic is small. As far as a dedicated amp as opposed to a transformer adapter, never heard that the transformer causing damage other than being overdriven

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #3,272 of 3,322
If I'm willing to throw 3 grand at my first Stax setup, what would you guys recommend including a DAC? Super curious as I'm still not able to make sense of the energizer lineup after much research. Thanks!
STAX L700, used T1 AMP, the mod the AMP. Get ARES II DAC. That is the set that is hard to beat with anything at 3000$ mark. In my mind impossible. I have spended about 15.000€ on headphones and dac and amps and that is the best i got. By far.
What ARES II is? A bomb as a dac:

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #3,274 of 3,322
Just take RME ADI2 Dac as a dac with t1modified and L700 - and you have my perfect setup
I have RME but when i got ARES II the RME went to my 2nd set. RME is not bad but in my mind ARES II is just so much better in soundstage and imaging. RME is bit more analytical.

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,275 of 3,322
I was already fairly set on L700's ($1400) plus an Ares II ($1000) and a used T1 ($800 ish) would be around $3500. Do you guys have advice on the best way to track down a used T1 and what mod you you speak of? Should I try and find one already moded or do the mod myself? Thanks 🙏

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #3,276 of 3,322
Oct 6, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,278 of 3,322
CCS module for STAX Vacuum Tube Driver
And Adapter 6SN7 to 6CG7 / 6FQ7 straight (pair)
Also ofc the ECC99 GOLD tubes.
Send E-mail to him, he explain more.

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #3,279 of 3,322
If I'm willing to throw 3 grand at my first Stax setup, what would you guys recommend including a DAC? Super curious as I'm still not able to make sense of the energizer lineup after much research. Thanks!
Khadas Tone Board (99$) and Khadas Tone2 (200$) both work beautifully with my 009.
Amp really depends on the specific headphones. Practically for anything but 007, Airbow 253S with Little Bear P10 as pre-amp should be enough.

Linear Power Supply is recommended -I use this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC5...-noise-DC-linear-regulated/1000004386010.html
You can ask the seller to reverse the polarity, he'll do it.

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #3,280 of 3,322
Khadas Tone Board (99$) and Khadas Tone2 (200$) both work beautifully with my 009.
Amp really depends on the specific headphones. Practically for anything but 007, Airbow 253S with Little Bear P10 as pre-amp should be enough.

Linear Power Supply is recommended -I use this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC5...-noise-DC-linear-regulated/1000004386010.html
You can ask the seller to reverse the polarity, he'll do it.
Thanks for your input, really appreciate it!

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #3,281 of 3,322
Khadas Tone2 is nice started DAC but id say go straight for the ARES II or other ladder DAC. The change is enormous. Its so big that it will be same if you go from L300 to 009s.

Oct 10, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #3,282 of 3,322
Khadas Tone2 is nice started DAC but id say go straight for the ARES II or other ladder DAC. The change is enormous. Its so big that it will be same if you go from L300 to 009s.
Do you mean that using ARES II with L300 would produce similar effect to using Khadas Tone with 009? That's crazy - most people wouldn't be able to differentiate between 2 DACs beyond a certain point in quality (both Khadas DACs are beyond that point).
I'm not saying that all these DACs will sound the same, but a dramatic change in sound would likely require introducing some serious coloration.

When I auditioned 009 at Headamp before purchasing it, I used mostly HoloSpring DAC + SU1 interface. It's very expensive, yet it didn't turn my L300 into 009 - or I wouldn't have bought 009.
The difference between HoloSpring and the built-in DAC in D10, as well as Oppo HA-2SE, was minimal.

Not all cheap DACs are equally good, but Khadas certainly stands out with it's lively presentation. I dream about upgrading my amp one day, but as far as DACs go, I'm happy with what I've got.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #3,283 of 3,322
It is indeed so huge. I was DAC denier before i heard ARES II. I still cant rap my head around why its so different but here we are.
It was much bigger change than going from STAX lambda PRO to L700. Changing the DAC was the best thing iw ever done in my hifi journey.

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3,284 of 3,322
It is indeed so huge. I was DAC denier before i heard ARES II. I still cant rap my head around why its so different but here we are.
It was much bigger change than going from STAX lambda PRO to L700. Changing the DAC was the best thing iw ever done in my hifi journey.
Yes, and the improvement is heard in everything downstream — every headphone becomes better.

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #3,285 of 3,322
Yes, and the improvement is heard in everything downstream — every headphone becomes better.
I wonder if you would still feel that way after a proper blind test :thinking:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733.html

Sure, some DACs are really easy to tell apart - it's way too easy to tell ESS-based DACs from AK-based "Velvet Sound" DACs, but if you have 2 DACs with the same presentation, good luck telling them apart without looking.
Amps make much more difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back