The Entry Level Stax Thread
Dec 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #811 of 3,322
Dec 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #813 of 3,322
Got that sigma, but blew my he-500 on a power amp

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #814 of 3,322
That stand is almost as 'pretty' as the ear speakers. They seem to be in good condition appart from the dust filter, which seems to be slightly loose on one side. The pads are a little flat as well but that's expectable since they have resided on the frame since the 80's. Serial number is 05084 and they are with the Stax flat cable, yet still normal bias.
They sure lack a little presence and sparkle and can seem slightly closed in and vocals can sound slightly off (not 100% sure about that one yet). The bass is a little loose and prominent for an e-stat as well. Else, they seem to be pretty good, though it's too early to really say...

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #815 of 3,322
According to the manuals, they are 94dB/100V vs. the lambda signature being 101 dB/100V. That's a pretty massive difference. Just checked, the sr-007 mk. 2 is specced at 100dB/100V

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #816 of 3,322
  That stand is almost as 'pretty' as the ear speakers. They seem to be in good condition appart from the dust filter, which seems to be slightly loose on one side. The pads are a little flat as well but that's expectable since they have resided on the frame since the 80's. Serial number is 05084 and they are with the Stax flat cable, yet still normal bias.
They sure lack a little presence and sparkle and can seem slightly closed in and vocals can sound slightly off (not 100% sure about that one yet). The bass is a little loose and prominent for an e-stat as well. Else, they seem to be pretty good, though it's too early to really say...

That's weird, aren't the Sigmas known for their "openess" and huge soundstage?

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #817 of 3,322
The sound stage is projected forward and it's fairly big with a lot of depth, yes. Yet the whole ear speaker sound slightly 'closed in' or lacking in air if you will.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #818 of 3,322
  The sound stage is projected forward and it's fairly big with a lot of depth, yes. Yet the whole ear speaker sound slightly 'closed in' or lacking in air if you will.

They are normal bias, so that makes sense. Maybe they don't extend so well into the high frequencies.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #819 of 3,322

They are normal bias, so that makes sense. Maybe they don't extend so well into the high frequencies.

They are said not to do so. They do definitely have some treble, though.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #821 of 3,322
Not lambda signature! It has lots of treble and air, great extension

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #822 of 3,322
Not lambda signature! It has lots of treble and air, great extension

I own them :wink: no need to tell me! I meant that it's probably the same difference as with the Lambda NB compared to the Lambda Signatures. There is a Sigma Pro bias, which may be the "Signature" equivalent?

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #823 of 3,322
Hey all,
I'm enjoying my current set of lambda 207s.  Since they're imported, I'm using the provided 100v wall wart with a step down transformer.  I'd like to not have to use a transformer, so I'm wondering if there's a convenient place I can get a 120v wall wart for my SRM252s amplifier with proper polarity without any sort of DIY process involved.  Anyone have any tips?

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #824 of 3,322

The difference between 230V and 580V bias is that the bass gets tighter at the expense of more etch because the diaphragm gets tighter, and the stators are placed farther apart. The technical parts, I learned from the Stax brochure that came with my SRM-1/MK2.

The Lambda NB beats pretty much every other Lambda I've tried in terms of the treble presentation.

(I really wish my T1 wasn't dead right now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back