The Enigma by Synergistic Research/SinglePower Audio - Actively Shielded Cable PS
Jul 25, 2008 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

blubliss

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 30, 2004
Posts
780
Likes
45
Before we start, let me say that the skeptics need not read on. This is not for the "bit perfect is bit perfect" crowd. This is for those who believe in a little more than raw science. Who knows, maybe there is a good explanation, you can read about what Ted Denney thinks at the Synergisitic Research website.

Yesterday, I finally received the Enigma and let me just say that I am quite pleased by the result. It is hard to believe that something which is not formally in the sound chain could have any impact at all. Oh yeah, the Enigma is a power supply for my actively shielded cables. The cables i have are all made by Synergistic Research. And i now have a pair of R10s with an actively shielded cable (made by Mikhail). I won't be able to test that until tomorrow because i am missing the cable to connect it to the Enigma.

The impact I speak of is just as Ted describes it on his website, which, incidentally, i read after i listened yesterday, so i was not pre-conditioned. The main impacts are to the soundstage and level of engagement (right word??)of the music. The whole spectrum of sound widened by a significant degree and the music was more engaging, smooth, entrancing. Instrument separation, air and sweetness is increased. The music is just more enjoyable. Chalk it all up to placebo if you want. I'll try my best to bring all my gear to the next Int'l meet so others can hear. It may be subtle but it is discernible

The differences between the two tubes is interesting. You can switch between the two and to a filter-only mode. I really like the TungAr on the left because of it's ghost-like qualities and the incredible effect it has on the soundstage. But, as I was listening to John Coltrane (can't remember the album), a recording with instruments separated on the channels, the WE tube on the right was much better. It brought the group together more and sounded more cohesive, more intimate soundstage.

Anyway, this is an amazing piece of equipment. It is built like a tank and is absolutely beautiful. All hand-made by Mikhail.

newthread.php







my.php
 
Jul 25, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 15

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
Joined
May 20, 2003
Posts
4,299
Likes
554
Jul 25, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 15

Mher6

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 31, 2006
Posts
766
Likes
10
Jul 25, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 15

blubliss

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 30, 2004
Posts
780
Likes
45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a new wall wart for my Synergistic Research Digital Coax, if you have a spare one left over please PM me!


Sorry, I modded the ones I have to use with the Enigma. My first retermination, walwart to BNC. I even had to solder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any internal photo's and price?

I wonder how different in concept Mikhail's version of tube-drive active shield is from Aural Thrills active tube-drive cables:

Aural Thrills Audio TUBE Powered Active Cable 1m su eBay.it Audio Cables Connectors, A V Accessories Cables, Consumer Electronics



No internal pics and I doubt i will open it. I think the Synergistic Website has some description.

All i will say about price is that I did not pay the retail, $6000 or more, not sure. I think the tubes themselves are quite costly.
 
Jul 28, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 15

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 26, 2001
Posts
10,337
Likes
2,372
Nice Andy. Wish I can hear your uuper system one of these days.
 
Jul 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 15

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Posts
1,741
Likes
11
Very interesting. Do you guys think that tube rolling the rectifiers on my electrostatic amp would have an effect on the sound? I always thought that rectifiers would be one of those "Well, here's one component you'll never have to upgrade" things.
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 15

Riboge

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Posts
627
Likes
10
I've had the Enigma for a few months. The change it makes is much as blubliss describes. It enlarges everything: sound stage, volume, dynamics, clarity. This is much as you would suppose from the theory of it, namely, that it creates a quantum tunnel within the cable thru which the signal/current passes more readily as if with no resistance. A side benefit is shielding from other cables and equipment inevitably near or crossing.

There are three modes to choose from. I agree with blubliss putting the righthand tube mode over the left hand one, but I find the third mode which uses a solid state diode instead of a tube to be in second place. The audio dealer I had visiting me shortly after I got it had the same order of preference independently of me--and he wanted one immediately. Thus the presence of real differences is clearly discernible repeatedly, though it takes a little while to pick up on all the changes at first. When you then turn it off after that, the sound seems deflated and dull by comparison. A true positive innovation!
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 15

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
Nice, I love excessive audio gear. Certainly a unique piece.

Out of curiosity, why isn't the plate/ground connected on the right tube?
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 15

Riboge

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Posts
627
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, I love excessive audio gear. Certainly a unique piece.

Out of curiosity, why isn't the plate/ground connected on the right tube?



I am supposing this is the answer: the picture shown is of the unit with neither tube mode selected, that is, it is turned to the off position or to the ss diode mode. When a tube is selected it lights up with a bright blue white glow that flickers at first and steadies over time--adding to the overall mad scientist look of the beast.

Expensive, yes. Excessive, no!
 
Aug 2, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #14 of 15

blubliss

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 30, 2004
Posts
780
Likes
45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the Enigma for a few months. The change it makes is much as blubliss describes. It enlarges everything: sound stage, volume, dynamics, clarity. This is much as you would suppose from the theory of it, namely, that it creates a quantum tunnel within the cable thru which the signal/current passes more readily as if with no resistance. A side benefit is shielding from other cables and equipment inevitably near or crossing.

There are three modes to choose from. I agree with blubliss putting the righthand tube mode over the left hand one, but I find the third mode which uses a solid state diode instead of a tube to be in second place. The audio dealer I had visiting me shortly after I got it had the same order of preference independently of me--and he wanted one immediately. Thus the presence of real differences is clearly discernible repeatedly, though it takes a little while to pick up on all the changes at first. When you then turn it off after that, the sound seems deflated and dull by comparison. A true positive innovation!



Riboge, nice to hear that I am not the only crazy one who hears a difference
icon10.gif
. When you say the right hand tube do you mean the WE or TungAr? I am going to try the solid state/tube combo some more.

The Enigma added an emotional element to my system that was not prevalent enough.

Which Synergisitc cables do you have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, I love excessive audio gear. Certainly a unique piece.

Out of curiosity, why isn't the plate/ground connected on the right tube?



I asked the same question to Mikhail (before i fired it up the first time) and he explained it to me, but i can't remember what he said. I do remember he said it was not necessary in this context
confused.gif
.
 
Aug 2, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 15

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,190
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. Do you guys think that tube rolling the rectifiers on my electrostatic amp would have an effect on the sound? I always thought that rectifiers would be one of those "Well, here's one component you'll never have to upgrade" things.


Rectifiers can make for a huge change in the sonics. Ask the Woo 6 owners ....
wink.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top