the end of winamp
Nov 13, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I really use WinAMP because I love how I can make it sit at the top of the screen...easy access

Gotta say thats my favorite thing about winamp. That, and global hotkeys for everything!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I also like to once in a while, just sit back, turn on the visualizations, and trip out on my music.

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I thought the end of Winamp was when Foobar2000 came out...
wink.gif

Seconded.

Admitting that winamp does have nice visualizations and other funny additions, it still can't beat the great foobar with kernel streaming and funky options considering functionality, sound, and usage for myself (= flame-resistant
tongue.gif
).
With the usage of foo_tunes it even is able to have a nice and simple interface.

*Gets in line for another "it's a shame" post*
But it really is a shame that winamp found a silly end like that. I was using the 2.xx version(s) as well before jumping over to foobar, and considering that many people still use it, it can't be bad now can it? Time to bash AOL.
orphsmile.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #33 of 41
Since ppl are talking only about winamp and foolbar. I wonder if iTunes is any good. I dont have an iPod but I like itunes for its clarity. Anyway, is foolbar lots better than Itunes?
Thanks

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #34 of 41
woah, I'm glad I use J River Media Center. Much nicer (IMO, of course.) Winamp was never my cup of tea -- to many small buttons, no database etc. I tried foobar but never really liked it either. It's too minimalistic, there's no database, to boring. Both of them depended on play list... well I'm not a big fan of that. So when I got my iPod, which was prior to the iTunes days, I got j River Media Center, and it absolutely rock. It got as good ripping as EAC (Supposedly,) it streams medias arose the network, and I think it can playback as nice as f2k. However it's not free. The dB and powerful search options is really what makes it worth it to me. iTunes use way to many resources for my outdated PC.
I guess F2k will be the new winamp. Seems like it. Also, somebody said something 'bout no reason to switch out winamp. Well, as far as I've understood - but I may be wrong - winamp only supports 16bit rather than the up to many bits with f2k.

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
Winamp was never my cup of tea -- to many small buttons, no database etc.

Im not sure what you mean by database, but Winamp5 offer a media library that archives all the audio you want it to and can be used to create on-the-fly playlists, as well as save and load and playlists.

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #36 of 41
Man, the only thing winamp did better than foobar is/was visualisations... I want my AVS!!! I love the tabbed playlists in foobar. (BTW, both winamp5 and foobar have databases) Can you imagine I just showed my GF winamp? She was useing some sub-standard * till now.

Nov 15, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

<snip>I tried foobar but never really liked it either. It's too minimalistic, there's no database, [too] boring. </snip>

I find this odd, since one of the primary reasons I use foobar is the database... I dunno about fun, since half the time I turn off the screen and just use the play control buttons on the keyboard (finally, a use for them!).

On another note, anyone a big fan of xmms? If not, anyone have any suggestions?

Nov 16, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

woah, I'm glad I use J River Media Center. Much nicer (IMO, of course.) Winamp was never my cup of tea -- to many small buttons, no database etc. I tried foobar but never really liked it either. It's too minimalistic, there's no database, to boring. Both of them depended on play list... well I'm not a big fan of that. So when I got my iPod, which was prior to the iTunes days, I got j River Media Center, and it absolutely rock. It got as good ripping as EAC (Supposedly,) it streams medias arose the network, and I think it can playback as nice as f2k. However it's not free. The dB and powerful search options is really what makes it worth it to me. iTunes use way to many resources for my outdated PC.
I guess F2k will be the new winamp. Seems like it. Also, somebody said something 'bout no reason to switch out winamp. Well, as far as I've understood - but I may be wrong - winamp only supports 16bit rather than the up to many bits with f2k.

ummm... you are incorrect Sir... Foobar2000 does have a database and what's more, it is queryable. You can actually write queries against the database. The database will even hold multiple values for the same track. For example: You could set the genre for a song as jazz, vocal and mellow. Then you could query the database for any one of those values and it would find the track. The feature allows you to very easily create playlists based on those queries. This could be very useful if you were creating say a jazz query which would include Diana Krall but not Sade whereas doing a query for vocal (if you've set the values as such) could produce both Diana Krall and Sade.

Another example would be if you did a general query for "rock" it may bring up Brian Adams and Tool. Whereas if you did a query for "soft rock" you would get Brian Adams and not Tool. This of course is assuming you're assigning these values to the tracks. Genre of course is not the only field you can query. All fields in the metadata are queryable.

If you're trying to make it work like a music library and a que sheet, I think there is a plug-in for it, but you really don't need it. Just create a master playlist with all your music which would represent your music library. Then create a new playlist and drag and drop the tracks you want into it. It's ever so slightly more querky than something like music match, but it works. All playlists are saveable.

Mar 8, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #39 of 41
Does Foobar have the ability to retag and sort as well as Winamp can? I just started using Foobar, the id3v2 dll and foo_pod.dll (better than ml_ipod because it handles composers) but would like to have something like The Godfather built into it. Is there another plugin that can add a Winamp style media library to Foobar?

Mar 8, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Agreed. I was a big fan of the 2.xx series, then I tried 3 and it sucked (plus they screwed up Ogg Vorbis decoder so badly OV files sound noticably worse on a generic AC'97 soundcard, through crappy speakers), and 5 is just 2.9x with some extra skinning features and a media library plugin. After Winamp 2.91 I tried Foobar and it is much more flexible, and I never used skins anyways so that was no major loss for me and I was converted.

2.x was my favorite, except that the time ticker didn't work in Windows 2000 (and I believe XP as well). I went up to version 3 and tollerated it with "classic" skins. Everything past that sucked IMO though.

I have foobar installed on both of my PCs, but I haven't played with it that much (I like an easy to use out of the box player)

Anyway, I had forgotten winamp existed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back