mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 25
yeah, love (loved?) Audiogalaxy! aside from the classics, which tend to be locked, you could get any music. really helpful to check those new bands out before buying.

wel...are any similar systems still up? y'know, with 'obscure' bands and stuff?

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 25
Hmm. I didn't really use audiogalaxy lately. Now, I use WinMX. The new version(3.0) allows downloading from multiple sources.
biggrin.gif

But personally, I've found that I don't download ANY songs at all these days. . .

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 25
If I hear a song on the radio (which I'm doing more since I bumped-into this obscure college NPR station in Colrado Springs where I work) I'll use one of these tools to check out the band and see if I like the sound of an album.

That Natalie Imbruglia ruined it for me... One ****ing song and I'm stuck with a CD I hate. I've even found the *original* of that song (Torn) and bought one of the CDs the original band (Ednaswap) put it on and guess what, it's WAY better!

I keep this CD in my collection to remind me why I pirate before buy.

When I do find something I like, I'll delete it and buy the CD so I can re-rip at a better quaility. Has the RIAA actually *listened* to anything from these sources?? I'm guessing not.

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 25
In many of these cases the RIAA doesn't really have a valid case, but bombs these little companies out of court by bogging them down with the cost to fight court battles.

What about that couple in Britain that fought and won a mega lawsuit with McDonald's without even employing a lawyer? Can't they do that too?
confused.gif
I mean if you are totally and obviously on the right side you don't need a lawyer to present the case with lace edges or anything
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 19, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
What about that couple in Britain that fought and won a mega lawsuit with McDonald's without even employing a lawyer? Can't they do that too?
confused.gif
I mean if you are totally and obviously on the right side you don't need a lawyer to present the case with lace edges or anything
confused.gif

That was a story about the couple using McDonalds name wasn't it...

Well, that ended out of court because a Scottish farmer said that he would counter-sue McDonalds for the use of HIS name (obviously ~ his surname being McDonald)... McDonalds not wanting a tarnished reputation hastily dropped the case
wink.gif

(so the tabloids newspapers said at the time said anyway)

Jun 19, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

In many of these cases the RIAA doesn't really have a valid case, but bombs these little companies out of court by bogging them down with the cost to fight court battles.

confused.gif
confused.gif

You're totally in the right?

Er... So we can all pirate Microsoft Windows and it's right is it?
Or if I like your car, I can break into it, steal it and that's fine as well is it?

Jeez. Just because it's an intangible like software or music doesn't mean it's still not theft you know.

Jun 19, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

confused.gif
confused.gif

Part of it, and my understanding of UK law is quite limited, is that I believe in the UK the losing party is *automaticly* obligated to pay the court costs of the winner. This cuts down on a lot of frivolous suits as the bully will get stuck with all the costs in the end. This risk makes them think twice about thier case before filing.

Jun 19, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 25
"You're totally in the right?

Or if I like your car, I can break into it, steal it and that's fine as well is it?

Jeez. Just because it's an intangible like software or music doesn't mean it's still not theft you know." -magicthyse

You like to take it up the ass dont you??

Yeah maybe listening to the radio is stealing.

If you consistently have friends over to listen to your music maybe you are cutting into the RIAA profits.

It'll be illegal to sing a song in public next.

Humming the latest #1 single in the shower?? Better hope no one heard you or they're gonna call the "plumbers".

I want to share a cd with my sister, can I give her a copy of this one song?? No, hell no, 5 people in your family, means 5 copies of Bachs Concertos. ****, they made us buy one for the dog even...

Yeah listen magic, you can take it up the ass all you want. But me, i'm gonna do whatever the **** pleases me within MY moral boundaries. If they have a problem with what I do with my cd, Ill kindly take a refund and they can stick the disk up their candy asses.

Jun 19, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 25
...if you're an act untilitarian than the morally right action would be the one which provides the most pleasure for the most people...I actually wrote a paper about the ethics of filesharing last semester.

Anyway, does anyone know of another program that lets you choose the bitrate of an mp3 before you download it?

-Stall

Jun 19, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
"You're totally in the right?

Jeez. Just because it's an intangible like software or music doesn't mean it's still not theft you know." -magicthyse

You like to take it up the ass dont you??

Yeah maybe listening to the radio is stealing.

If you consistently have friends over to listen to your music maybe you are cutting into the RIAA profits.

It'll be illegal to sing a song in public next.

Humming the latest #1 single in the shower?? Better hope no one heard you or they're gonna call the "plumbers".

I want to share a cd with my sister, can I give her a copy of this one song?? No, hell no, 5 people in your family, means 5 copies of Bachs Concertos. ****, they made us buy one for the dog even...

Yeah listen magic, you can take it up the ass all you want. But me, i'm gonna do whatever the **** pleases me within MY moral boundaries. If they have a problem with what I do with my cd, Ill kindly take a refund and they can stick the disk up their candy asses.

A foul-mouthed ignoramus with no concept of basic right and wrong.

You've kind of proved my point, haven't you.

What I will say is that most of us have broken the law at one time or another. However we don't claim it's a god-given right. If you're going to pirate stuff, at least have the decency to do it surrepticiously...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back