The Editors = Interpol
Nov 7, 2005 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
There was recently a resurrected Interpol thread about their last album Antics, and in response to a request for other bands like Interpol and Joy Division, many of us including myself suggested the Editors debut as being a good match. And listening to it again yesterday, I'm left thinking that the match is too good. It does have that Joy Division meets Echo & The Bunnymen via the Chameleons kind of sound that has gotten so popular, but doesn't really seem to go beyond being a copy of that sound. Actually, a copy of Interpol's copy of that sound. Anyone else feel this way? Or is that just being too critical? Admittedly I do like it as I'm kind of a sucker for all those swirling guitars and Ian Curtis vocals, but geez guys it would be nice to add a touch of your own personality in the mix
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
There was recently a resurrected Interpol thread about their last album Antics, and in response to a request for other bands like Interpol and Joy Division, many of us including myself suggested the Editors debut as being a good match. And listening to it again yesterday, I'm left thinking that the match is too good. It does have that Joy Division meets Echo & The Bunnymen via the Chameleons kind of sound that has gotten so popular, but doesn't really seem to go beyond being a copy of that sound. Actually, a copy of Interpol's copy of that sound. Anyone else feel this way? Or is that just being too critical? Admittedly I do like it as I'm kind of a sucker for all those swirling guitars and Ian Curtis vocals, but geez guys it would be nice to add a touch of your own personality in the mix
wink.gif

Well, I picked up (DL, actiually) the Editors yesterday. I can see exactly what you mean. I played it in the car, and I thought to myself, "hey, this reminds me of Echo & the Bunnymen". Trouble is, it reminded me of them too much, almost like a tribute band. There was somewhat of a fresh take on that sound, but it really was highly derivivative of early Echo and maybe Cure (I don' hear as much JD in there as with Interpol).

I've watched several cycles of indie rock music now, and it's really interesting how there is a ~20-30 year re-cycle window. By the late 80's/early 90's bands were looking back to the 60's (Paisly Underground, then Galaxie 500, then all the Elephant 6/neo-psychedelic stuff). Then it seemed the 70's were coming back with the more punk-driven, high-octane bands in the late 90's/early 00's. Now it looks like post-punk is re-emerging a la Interpol and Editors. No coincidence that Mission of Burma and Gang of Four had reunions recently.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 5
They really are incredible sound-alikes, and I favor Interpol before them, but I really do love Camera and Fingers in the Factories. I know, I'm evil. :|

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meifa
I know, I'm evil. :|

Yeah, I like it too. Good album, just not very distinctive sounding and overall not one of my favorites this year. I'd much rather listen to the latest British Sea Power, or Elbow, but those are kind of a different style. The Editors disc is still fun, though I still like Bloc Party more. Pretty crappy sounding with extreme amounts of compression like Interpol and Bloc Party and Maximo Park and all the other American and British rock CDs, but fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back