The earphone game just got a lot more SIRIUS. The new five driver hybrid flagship from Fidue
Aug 5, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #393 of 631
5 drivers 5 stars :)

and what does that make Zeus?
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #395 of 631
I use the UE 900S silicone tips. You can get them on the UE pro site. I think they are comfortable, stylish, and don't smother the sound like some others do.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #396 of 631

As I'm putting more hours on Sirius, while testing/comparing to other IEMs/CIEMs during my reviews, I actually decided to bump the rating from 4 to 4.5 stars (just updated my review).  Just thinking about how it stacks up against other 4.5 and 5 star rated monitors, these definitely deserve at least 4.5 stars.  And for the record, I hate star rating
biggrin.gif

Yes I totally agree. The star rating sucks, because if you write a complete story everybody will pick out aspects that they do or don't like according to their own preference. But then at the end, you're putting a stamp on it according to your own. For instance, if you describe the treble of an iem as 'non fatuiging', half of the people will like it, and the other half won't. The same holds for the cable (modular, 8 core, but heavy) and build of the Sirius (beautiful, but might be problematic if you have either small or large ears); for some people it can be a downer, for others it's a big plus.

So I prefer sites that keep it open and let the reader decide, like THL and this new little site called twister6 :wink: But on the other hand, Head Fi reviews works with a system of quantity over quality; if there are 27 reviews of an iem, you can't read through all of them and an average is more indicative. So in that case an average also has its advantage of course, guess there are 2 sides.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #397 of 631
  Yes I totally agree. The star rating sucks, because if you write a complete story everybody will pick out aspects that they do or don't like according to their own preference. But then at the end, you're putting a stamp on it according to your own. For instance, if you describe the treble of an iem as 'non fatuiging', half of the people will like it, and the other half won't. The same holds for the cable (modular, 8 core, but heavy) and build of the Sirius (beautiful, but might be problematic if you have either small or large ears); for some people it can be a downer, for others it's a big plus.

So I prefer sites that keep it open and let the reader decide, like THL and this new little site called twister6 :wink: But on the other hand, Head Fi reviews works with a system of quantity over quality; if there are 27 reviews of an iem, you can't read through all of them and an average is more indicative. So in that case an average also has its advantage of course, guess there are 2 sides.

The thing about the star system is that I'm not completely opposed to it; it's nice to have a system that can be aggregated as you said and provide an average, but I don't like the lack of granularity. Would probably be happier if it was more like the levels you'd see in something like Metacritic. I've only put reviews up of a couple of items, but it definitely annoyed me that I could only rate in increments of half-stars. Like, what if I thought that something deserved a 4.2/5 or an 83/100? I'd feel bad about a 4.5 score cuz I'd be a little misleading to those who only have time for a quick glance of the score given (setting aside the other myriad of factors). But I'm also kind of unhappy with giving it a 4/5 because I feel it robs the product of something; like saying it's good and deserves more than a 4/5 but not good enough to rate a 4.5/5 and it's a little on the lower side so I'll just give it the lower score. Having scores serves a purpose, but it could be a bit more precise in its implementation. Half-stars is a bit limiting. At least it does offer essentially a TLDR version with the pros/cons for those who don't have time to read full reviews. In the end, you do have to consider your own stance and be open to the possibility that a review's author isn't the same person. Reviews can be hard to navigate, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #401 of 631
Aug 6, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #403 of 631

Users who are viewing this thread

Back