The earphone collection - The fact that we can never really settle on just one - Comment on your favorites
Oct 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mvw2

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone else notice this?

As much as a try to find the "best," "most fitting," or otherwise "ideal" earphone out there, I keep finding myself wanting a range of products.  It's not so much that I prefer different products for different genres.  It's simply that no one product offers the same mix of sound reproduction.  Over the years I have fell in love with some favorites.  I have unfortunately sold off many of them as I keep trying new things.  New is good, but so is old.  I have come to the conclusion that need to maintain a small collection to be happy.  It's not a matter of need or really even a matter of any being the best.  It just seems that I prefer to have the variety at hand, both good SQ and variety of sound signature.  I have started the process of reaquiring a few of the ones I miss the most.  I decided certain products will fill my stable and represent what I like and what I seek in audio.  I will still try new products, but the stable will represent what I already like and enjoy as well as offer some comparison devices to weigh new hardware against.

I figure each of you out there has a small variety of hardware that you can't seem to let go or some hardware that you have sold and repurchased in time.  You grew a small collection of your favorite devices.  I am curious what you have decided to keep in your own stables.

My stable (have or am reaquiring)
-Triple.Fi 10  (high SQ but with a unique full sound)
-RE252         (what I consider reference level, balanced, revealing)
-OK1             (I've kept this over so many good IEMs, aggressive, textured, transparent)

Potentials
-ER4S           (classic reference, textured, balanced)
-UM3X           (bought and sold these twice, special, very good, but hard to justify keeping)
-CK10           (I may grab one if I run across a great price, functionally the best earphone I've used)
-SA6             (natural, airy, transparent)

Testing
-CK100         (have one on the way to try, CK10 vs. CK100?)
-e-Q7            (want to try one, sounds towards my ideal)
-SA7/SA6R   (the SA6 is so good in many ways, I have high hopes)
-RE262         (the RE252 is one of my favorites, high hopes for this one)

I've owned the OK1 buds for a couple years now.  I have long enjoyed their realism, texture, speed, and aggressiveness.  It oddly is an earphone I'd have a hard time suggesting to people because it benefits from a powerful amp and benefits from a sizable amount of EQing, both in bud and IEM formats.  However, it has "dethroned" many top tier IEMs I've tried.  Every time I whittled down my collection, these stayed.

The Triple.Fi 10 is an odd earphone.  The sound is very unique to UE, BA speed, sharpness but with an unusually thick note.  It's an earphone that is underwhelming when listened to alone.  However, it will impress over and over every time you go back to it from anything else.  It's refinement is so good but underappreciated without comparisons.  The full "club like" presence is just fun to listen to.  When testing, I kept finding myself listening through a whole song just because I was enjoying it instead of cutting the song short and moving onto the next earphone to make notes and compare against.  The Triple.Fi 10 is colored and not perfect, but it's fun and enveloping which is a hard find.

The RE252.  For me, this has been the most balanced, most revealing, most reference level earphone I've used.  If the ER4S had a better, this is it.  It hasn't had a great welcome on Head-fi due to fitment concerns, and it isn't the simplest to fit, but when done right, it's comfy, secure, and once sealed well, full and rich in sound.  Like the Triple.Fi 10, alone, this earphone doesn't particularly impress.  It's not colored enough or do enough wrong to notice anything.  It is simply balanced and good.  It really only impresses once you go back to it from other earphones.  Every time I put it on I keep wondering why is this things so good?  If I had to only own one earphone, this is about the only one that might make me sell the OK1.

As for the potentials, I don't know.  The ER4S is a classic.  I liked it a lot.  However, I see it as limited due to the single BA design.  I do want to try a pair again since I owned the pair before I ever got my Meier 2Move amp, and I know the laptop + FiiO E5 was limiting it somewhat.  I kind of want to retry it in the best light and see if it's worth keeping permanantly.  The CK10 is functionally the best earphone I've used to date.  It does so much right.  Yet at the same time I just didn't fall in love with it.  I preferred the RE252 to it in the end.  It might be nice to own a pair just to own it because it is one of the best representations of both speed and texture.  It does need to be EQed on the top end though.  The UM3X is special, stage, separation, revealing, bass, tons of great qualities.  The sound is just...unrealistic, and I've sold it twice because of that.  I'm not sure if I'd ever own a pair again on a perminant basis despite really filling a niche in the linup.  I do miss what it offers.  I'm a fan of the SA6.  It's so open, transparent, airy, and the BA driver is one of the natural sounding drivers I've listened to.  I think the SA6R or SA7 will fill that spot anyways, so there isn't much to consider with the SA6.  I'll need to see what the second generation offers.

Testing is just what's coming up, things I have not heard but anticipate to be good.  I simply don't know about them yet, but I have an interest in them.  User impressions or anticipation have me thinking at least one of them cound be a permanent resident in my stable.

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 25
Enjoy the journey of discovery, great fun!  You will never find the perfect set of earphones because they don't exist since there are so many variables even in portable audio components, cabling, recording qualities, amplification, etc.

If you like the TF10--I did have one of those--you will most likely end up with a pair of JH13 Pro customs (if you prefer neutrality) or JH 16 Pros (if you prefer naturality and want to really feel the drum kicks reverberate inside the ear canal).  The same guy, Jerry Harvey designed them all and the JHA models are the latest of his creations after he left Ultimate Ears.

After the TF10/Westone 3s, I decided to get rid of all universals and go for customs.  Not everyone can afford or willing to make the jump, but I realized spending $1,500 of a cadre of universals including a bunch of custom tips wasn't the way to go either.

Whatever you pick, make sure they have the option of user-replaceable cables, like the TF10.  I have never seen a stock cable worth its salt but that's just me and it's a very polarizing subject on its own.

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 25
I have no interest in customs myself.  I've considered them, but I simply haven't had enough concern about comfort and seal to care.

My journey's been a couple years now.  I've gone through most of the high end IEMs out there and keep looking forward to some new favorites.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 25
I understand and you're lucky in a way.  But it's not just the seal or comfort, SQ as well.  When you look at the size of the TF10s or even the Westone 3s/UMX3s, there is only so many BA drivers you can fit into a universal form factor, not to mention the internal bore design.

The sound quality of a TF10 vs a JH13/16 is not even in the same league, and I'm stating this realizing fully well how good the TF10s are in their category.

At any rate, let us know how you like the new RE-262.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 25
Interesting topic. I am indifferent to customs. I feel like a great pair of customs will be nice to own someday, yet, I am in no rush to purchase any.

As for selling IEMs and going back to them, I have never done that (once I say goodbye that's usually it), but I will admit that I have thought about repurchasing the e-Q7. More so than repurchasing it, however, I look for its upgrade or an IEM with the same signature but improves on the Orto.

There is nothing I am really anxious to try right now except the x jays and a couple pair of Fine Audio Designs that are suppose to surpass the e-Q7. I am fairly content at the moment.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 25
Ah yes, the x-Jays.  I forgot about that one.  Too bad there isn't much info floating around for that.

It's that repurchase thing that gets me.  It's obvious we kind of want it back.  The problem I keep running into is there isn't a better version of something.  There are just different things.  Sometimes different is better.  Sometimes different is just different.

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 25
Sennheiser IE8, one of my favorite, plenty of bass, great highs, good mids.
Etymotic hf5, perfer it more than the ER4-P (although I only listened to it for 15 min and never did a A/B comparison) the ER4 sounded too bright for me, the hf5 is just perfect but a should have little more bass.
I really want to try a Turbine Pro Coppers, I got the normal Turbines for a few days, and they sounded very good (bass is superb, but not controlled sometimes, mids are good, and highs are a bit exaggerated and sibilant.

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 25
I usually don't like to buy something a second time. The hardest thing I've ever had to do in this hobby was sell my CK10. The day before I got confirmation of money being exchanged I was considering taking it off and keeping them but I didn't and once I got money it was a done deal. That being said if I ever buy a universal a second time for myself that will be the CK10 and nothing else. It's the only earphones that I had a hard time selling and for good reasons.

I've been pretty content with mid level products in the world of earphones at least. I enjoy those that are close to the top but not quite there as both my HJE900 and RE-Zero offer that imo. Outside of the RE262 nothing really interests me enough to buy it or even try it.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 25
I'll offer my limited experience with higher end headphones even though I'm fairly new to this game.

OWN:

Sony MDR v700 - My first decent headphones. Sounds good when amped, but a little thin otherwise. No isolation so they can't be used outside. Also they cause my ears to fatigue within 30-45 minutes. They're being sold to my roommate when he gets some money around.

Klipsch Custom 3 - I just bought these earlier in the week and I'm already very impressed. There's no sibilance and plenty of bass. A nice warm sound that's interesting to my ears as well as excellent in quality. Definitely my favorite headphones I've listened to. The cable is pretty annoying, but I have a 2 year warranty so I feel pretty safe.

HAD:

Sennheiser IE6 - These started out great for me, they isolated miles more than the Sony's and sounded pretty decent. Unfortunately, they're ridiculously sibilant and so I couldn't really enjoy them fully.

WANT:

Sennheiser IE8 - Everyone on here raves about these and says they're amazing. I'd love to get some if I can find them for around the $150 range but the ones I see are just too expensive for me right now.

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 25
Thought I'd breath some life back into this topic; I'm interested to know how others feel. For me personally, my current favorites are as follows, in no particular order: RE252, e-Q5 and e-Q7, ER4S, EX600 (or EX1000), GR07, and TF10. If I had to choose one, I wouldn't! 
tongue.gif
 Reason being why I'm posting here in the first place. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 25
Glad you resurrected this thread. I love reading about the evolution of everyone's personal iem collections. It speaks a lot about what each iem has over others and how the owner perceives sound, which helps a lot in deciding whose advice to take when considering a future purchase.

Personally, I'm still new to the game but am already in the process of parring down my small collection.

Definitely keeping for the forseeable future:
-CK10 (perfect fit, fuller sound than DBA02 to my ears, 10/10 build quality)
-GR07 (more bass, better timbre than CK10, would consider replacing for the same exact thing except with more treble definition)

Probably selling:
-DBA02 (more colored than the CK10 to me, too bright to be neutral, less perfect fit and build quality than CK10)
-FX700 (way too much bass and not enough detail for me, poor/uncomfortable fit as they are too large for my ears, poor isolation compared to CK10 and even GR07)

I will definitely miss the DBAs if I do sell them if only for the few songs that sound they do really well with. Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion won't ever sound quite as striking without them, and I wonder if I need the money enough to forgo ever experiencing that album with the DBAs again. Time will tell. 

Edit: After experimenting with different tips and fit I think I've been a bit hard on the poor FX700s. I think I was using tips with too much isolation which just amps up the bass to levels that overshadow the rest of the spectrum. A looser fit allows those low frequencies to relax a bit and the sound is actually quite balanced. Of course a looser fit results in even poorer isolation but I am quite impressed by the detail and balance I was missing.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 25
Hoping to try / audition some of these in this month, or early next: EX600, W4. any of the newer FAD, possibly PFE232.

Might have a chance to try: some of Sony XBA series

Hoping to own any of these in future (no schdule): EX1000 or EX800 (MDR7550). SE535, UM3X (or W4), FX700, CK10 (or CK100), FXT90, custom.

Still hoping they will make it to the market: x-JAYS, SA7 (SA6R as well)

Lesser interested: IE80.

A lot of these are samples of course, but one of my original goal is to build up a collection. Can't really see myself 'settle' on one really...

Altec Lansing iM716
Apple In-Ear Headphone with Remote and Mic (ADDIEM)
Astello Radiance+
Atomic Floyd SuperDarts + Remote [♫]
Audio-Technica ATH-CKS70
Blue Ever Blue 866B Red
Blue Ever Blue 868B Silver
Brainwavz alpha
Brainwavz B2
Brainwavz beta
Brainwavz M1
Brainwavz M2
Brainwavz M3
Brookstone Clear Dual Drive
Creative Aurvana In-Ear2
Creative EP-480
Creative EP-630
Cresyn C222E
Cresyn C230E
Cresyn C260E
CrossRoads Bijou3 (x2)
CrossRoads MylarOne X3
CrossRoads Quattro
CrossRoads Woody 1
CrossRoads Woody 2
CUBE F1
DUNU Ares (DN-11)
DUNU Crius (DN-13)
DUNU Hephaes (DN-16)
DUNU Trident (DN-12)
Earsquake CRO
Earsquake FISH
Earsquake SHA
ECCI PG100
ECCI PR100
ECCI PR200
ECCI PR300
ECCI PR401
Etymotic ER6i
Etymotic ER4P+S* (w/ AW Audio P-S adapter)
Etymotic MC5
EXS X20
Fischer Audio Ceramique
Fischer Audio Consonance
Fischer Audio DBA-02
Fischer Audio Enigma
Fischer Audio Eterna
Fischer Audio Eterna v2
Fischer Audio FA-977 Jazz
Fischer Audio FA-999
Fischer Audio MightyBug
Fischer Audio Omega
Fischer Audio Omega v2
Fischer Audio Paradigm v.2
Fischer Audio Paradigm v.3
Fischer Audio SBA-01
Fischer Audio SBA-03
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet
Fischer Audio Tandem
Future Sonics Atrio M5 (MG7)
Future Sonics Atrio M5 (rev.2)
HifiMan RE0
HifiMan RE1
HifiMan RE2
HifiMan RE252
HifiMan RE262
HifiMan RE272
HifiMan RE-ZERO
Hisound Battleflag
Hisound Crystal
Hippo Boom
Hippo Epic
Hippo Shroom
Hippo Shroom-EB
Hippo VB
iFeelU IF-DMV-501
j-phonic K2 SP
JAYS a-JAYS Two
JAYS a-JAYS Three
JAYS q-JAYS
JAYS s-JAYS
JAYS t-JAYS Two
Kanon MD-52
Klipsch S4
LEAR Le01
Maike MK-EL5031
Maximo iM-390
Maximo iM-590
MEElectronics A151
MEElectronics CC51
MEElectronics CW31
MEElectronics CX21
MEElectronics M2
MEElectronics M6
MEElectronics M9
MEElectronics M11
MEElectronics M16
MEElectronics M21
MEElectronics M31
MEElectronics R1
MEElectronics SP51
Miu-Audio MR2-PRO
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
NuForce NE-7M
Ortofon e-Q5
Ortofon e-Q7
Panasonic RP-HJE70
Phiaton PS20
Phiaton PS210
Philips SHE9850
Phonak Audeo PFE 022 Perfect Bass
Phonak Audeo PFE121
Radius HP-RLF11R
Radius HP-TWF11R
Radius HP-TWF21K
Sennheiser CX300
Sherwood SE-777
Shure E3c
Shure SE215
Shure SE530
Sleek Audio SA6
SonoCore 2-ways CoAxial Canalphones (COA-803)
SonoCore Cindy (COA-805)
Sony MDR-EX85SL
Sony MDR-EX700SL
SoundMAGIC E10
SoundMAGIC E30
SoundMAGIC PL-11
SoundMAGIC PL-20 (x2)
SoundMAGIC PL-21
SoundMAGIC PL-30
SoundMAGIC PL-50
Spider realvoice
Sunrise i100 (beta)
Sunrise 'B' / Xcited
Sunrise SW-Xcape
Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition
Sunrise Xcape v2
Ultimate Ears 100
Ultimate Ears 200
Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro
VSONIC GR07
VSONIC R02 Pro II
VSONIC R04
Westone UM2
Woodees IESW100B
Xears Powerball PB120 Black Edition
Xears Resonance Black Edition
Xears Revolution Series XR120PRO II

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 25
Trying out and owning a bunch of IEMs is fun. I have always found it a thrill to use a pair that I haven't tried for a while. I have never spent more than $100 on them though. I am not that careful with my IEMs and seem to break them a lot. Spending no more than 100 keeps it reasonable for me. Maybe an expensive set with user replaceable cables would solve my breakage issues. Funny too that there is such a big selection of products out there! It seems like IEM owners are now about to pass full size owners in the selection range if they have not already!  

As the years go by I am getting used to the IEM sound more and more and find it more personal than full size headphones in many ways. This also seems to be an area of intense development. It seems like we could have some crazy IEMs in 5 years. One of my favorite things is falling asleep with them which is something I would never do with my full size headphones.

There may almost be like a sensory gratification thing from getting used to an old pair of IEMs again. You start to second guess yourself for what ever you thought about them in the past and many times different sets have special aspects to enjoy anew. Part of human nature is to find the best single thing at times, which is wrong when a tool kit is best for many music collections and moods. The strange part for me has always been how they all sound different at times.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 25
Owned 46 a couple of months ago, now trimmed down to 20. Would still like to trim it further.

I can never settle on one IEM for a long time - one of the reasons I am still in two minds about getting a custom. At this point, this is what I've settled on -

The two IEMs within the two categories keep changing based on the type of music I listen at that time. But these 4 lend the variety I need to cover most of my music.

Won't (ever?) sell - EX-1000, FX700
Unlikely to sell, but would consider ONLY if I absolutely forced to - SM3, CK10

Don't mind keeping  - TF10, FXT90, Etymotic HF2, Phonak PFE, Sunrise XCape v1 / RE-ZERO

Will keep for now, but may consider selling later - Atrio M5 (MG7), HJE900, Eterna v1, Xears XE200, Xears TD100-II, Xears XB120

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 25
I've tried 25 earphones so far and keep the ones that's not well known or I really like. I have a TF10 coming this week and Merlins in a month. I also plan to get the IE80 and any new earphones Ortofon makes in the future since the IE8 and e-Q5 were my favorites.

I really enjoy listen to different earphones and the sound signature they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back