The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Jun 10, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #721 of 803
Hi everyone.

I bought the Jays U-Jays on-ear with cable from Amazon, and wasn't impressed with the comfort of the original pads. Too big and warm for my big ears, so I took the cups off and put on simple foam flat pads. Comfort is MUCH improved, isolation is much worse but I don't really care about that, and the bass is less restricted/confined which I also like. Early days so lots of listening to do before I can review them properly. Here's a link to the pads: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/55m...230.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dUgyioW

sIr2YG4.jpg

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #722 of 803
Do any HD800 or HD800S owners here have narrow heads and struggle to achieve a good seal on the stock HD800/S ear pads. My HD800S have weak disappointing bass compared to the Utopia and ADX5000 and I'm wondering if this is partly because I don't get a good seal at the area above my ears. I'm wondering if aftermarket pads like the Dekoni are thicker and provide a better seal and prevent a loss of bass pressure?

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #723 of 803
Do any HD800 or HD800S owners here have narrow heads and struggle to achieve a good seal on the stock HD800/S ear pads. My HD800S have weak disappointing bass compared to the Utopia and ADX5000 and I'm wondering if this is partly because I don't get a good seal at the area above my ears. I'm wondering if aftermarket pads like the Dekoni are thicker and provide a better seal and prevent a loss of bass pressure?

The HD800 series is very well known for having weak bass response; some say it improves with amping but for that route you will have to spend $1500+ on amping

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #725 of 803
Perforation is not 100% solution here. Many pads contain memory foam and it is can be not that breathable even with perforation on surface. There are special sorts of very breathable fast foam that will work for you even without perforation. Alcantara/microsuede/velour are better surface options here. If you will be inteseted in custom ordering rather than in some ready to ship pads fell free to PM me.

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #726 of 803
Further impressions on the Dekoni pads above are a lot more positive. I'm not sure how to explain it... maybe the foam is wearing in and loosening up? It does feel a bit less stiff on my head from when I received them I guess. I also adjusted the clamping force. No more resonances, no more muffled treble.

I know they posted some FR graphs somewhere, but I can't find them and I can't remember what the elite hybrid series was supposed to do to the sound (FR deviations were all relatively small iirc). My subjective impressions is that there is a little more midbass/upper bass response, and just a hair less treble extension. These aren't huge departures from the original sound signature, fairly subtle and mostly pleasant. I no longer have any desire to swap the original pads back on.

I tried the full-leather dekonis on my HD6XX but I couldn't stand the bass increase/treble decrease. From what I can gather, it seems it's because the dekonis have more mass - the stock pad edge cross-section is more like a circle, where the dekoni cross-section is square, which is quite a bit more mass. I say this because I have read the same effect for all models - velour, hybrid, leathers, but they all seem to have the same shape. I think Dekoni should try their hand at the original pad cross section, use their nice foam. and voila. As they are, I do not use them or recommend them.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #728 of 803
I tried the full-leather dekonis on my HD6XX but I couldn't stand the bass increase/treble decrease. From what I can gather, it seems it's because the dekonis have more mass - the stock pad edge cross-section is more like a circle, where the dekoni cross-section is square, which is quite a bit more mass. I say this because I have read the same effect for all models - velour, hybrid, leathers, but they all seem to have the same shape. I think Dekoni should try their hand at the original pad cross section, use their nice foam. and voila. As they are, I do not use them or recommend them.
I wouldn't mind the treble decrease and bass increase but is are there any changes in sound stage?

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #729 of 803
OPPO PM-3 PADS?

Has any PM-3 owner found replacement pad? . Seems like an opportunity for pad makers, as the pleather pads seem to be delaminating, according to several owners.

Mine are ready for replacement.

Anyone? Thanks.

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #730 of 803
Hello, headfiers!

Can someone kindly recommend me an online store to purchase good Grado Bowls (l-cushions)? I've already purchased 3 different pairs, and they are all different from each other. I need a pair that ressembles the originals. $20 + international shipping for foams is way above reasonable for me.

Thank you so much

Bonus: pic of my 3 different "bowls" and my beautiful chrome sr325is:

4klJsB3.jpg

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #732 of 803
I got burned on a couple pair of ear pads on Aliexpress. They looked flat but were actually angled. And, on top of that the quality was crap. $15.00 down the drain... Are Defean ear pads any good or should I just stick to Brainwavz?

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #733 of 803
That sounds like a great deal. :wink:

Hahaha I don't necessarily believe that but that's a different topic all in all. Apparently the Dekoni hybrid pads are very good for taming treble and boosting bass

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #734 of 803
PM-3 Brainwavz DSCF1128 f.jpg
Pads for Oppo PM-3:

I purchased the Brainwavz flat sheepskin pads for my closed back PM-3 headphones.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073CHJ631/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the Oppo pads un-clipped (using a pocket knife), the pads stretch easily over the ear cups.

The sound signature changed to a brighter presentation, which I actually prefer as the PM-3s are reported to have a warm signature. My old ears need a bit of treble boost. The imaging and sound stage improved noticeably.

The pads are very comfortable, with a larger interior to accommodate my large ears.

The attenuation of outside noise has improved a lot. I cannot hear anyone talking to me.

The only down side is that the pads squeak when you move your head quickly... not good for head-bangers :)

Lying down on my pillow, once settled in there is no squeaking.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #735 of 803
Can anyone tell me what these pads are? They came on a pair of Hifiman HE-400i's that the seller bought directly from Hifiman (so he says; from the documentation I was given I have no reason to doubt it). I thought for sure this set would come with Focus Pads of some kind. 20180828_084024.jpg 20180828_083847.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back