The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Nov 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #121 of 803
The outside edge of the 770 pads have a thin dense foam coating under the velour. This produces some isolation. The 880 pads don't have this because isolation is not the goal of the 880.

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #122 of 803
Well even the 770 880 and 990s are different from each other. They may look the same, but the padding on the insides are different. They're tuned to each headphone. The 770s arethe most firm, the 880 are softer, and iI'm not sure about the 990 as I haven't owned a pair.

How about just the 770 vs HiFiMAN then?

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #123 of 803
I have never used a pair of Hifiman headphones, but with them being an open headphone, I would imagine that they would have a softer cushion than the 770. The pads for the 770s are pretty stiff. They are fairly soft but they don't Ummm.. Smush against your head very much, they pretty much hold their shape. But like I said, I haven't felt a pair of the Hifimans. I'm sure someone here has had both to compare them better.

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #124 of 803
Any suggestions for ATH TAD500 earpads? They seem to induce irritation around the sides of the ear after a while. I've been using these for gaming/vent/music, so I need to be able to use these headphones without much comfort issues. If possible, I would like to keep the integrity of the audio quality (Great treble/mids with decent bass).

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #125 of 803
HI, I am looking for TaoBao 668 and 681 SuperLux and AKG240 100mm pad recommendations.

I can get custom made clones, but unknown quality and results. TaoBao and within China due to shipping and shipment issues.

TIA!

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #126 of 803
A friend of mine has these Pioneer SE-DJ5000 he loves. But the pads are totally worn out. I was thinking of buying him some new / nicer pads, but have no idea what size etc. Does anybody got any suggestions? It can be velour or leather. I would prefer something nice but cheap. I don't mind ordering from china etc...

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #127 of 803
  A friend of mine has these Pioneer SE-DJ5000 he loves. But the pads are totally worn out. I was thinking of buying him some new / nicer pads, but have no idea what size etc. Does anybody got any suggestions? It can be velour or leather. I would prefer something nice but cheap. I don't mind ordering from china etc...

Can you upload some pictures of the stock ear pads with a ruler next to them?

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #131 of 803
MMMMMM Very Reptilian.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #133 of 803
At the request of a fellow member I'll be reposting this here. Not much, but hope you guys enjoy/get inspired!
Building a couple frankenphones and thought if anyone finds this interesting it'd be you guys. What we've got here is a throwback to my first ever built DIY ortho-phone which was a Sony MDR-CD380 with Audio Technica ATH-2 drivers. This is a Sony MDR-CD280 acquired for pennies off eBay. Extremely similar construction to the 380. Stock pads are "trash," they don't seal with your face, yet, oddly enough, I originally turned the pads inside-out and said the sound improved dramatically. Upon further inspection these pads were vacuum formed using some kind of liquid rubber that I'm guessing the fabric was impregnated with (seen in pictures 2 and 3) so when it cured it would retain that asymmetrical curvature (kind of like us painting the insides of our pads with Plasti-Dip, but for a different purpose). This also keeps sound from leaking into the pad volume so the only place for bass to "leak out" would be in between the pad and baffle (which explains, in part, why my impressions were so favorable despite my better judgement), yet this, too, I originally alleviated by sealing the pads to the baffles with *drum roll* PlastiDip. But I didn't know any of this until I ripped the pads apart, so if you've ever found yourself wondering if you were ever going to see lambskin CD280 ear pads in your lifetime you can now die peacefully:

ATH-2 drivers have since been installed. Needs some re-damping, somehow I actually managed to find a felt combination that completely sucked all upper midrange out of this notoriously shouty driver, I actually have to EQ the stuff back in, along with a little treble. Kind of makes me want to rip all the felt off and start fresh, and also makes me wonder how this felt combination sounded good in the drivers' last enclosure, but that was a pair of canalphones (yes, ATH-2 canalphones), so go figure.. The pads are very comfy, though, and they are the first time I've successfully made a pair of fitted pads for this housing or pads in this exact style, which can only mean one thing: I've gotten better at stitching.
L3000.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #135 of 803

Those pads look fantastic!

Did you use a sewing machine or hand stitching?

I bought an attachment for my wife's sewing machine that sews perfect circles. Not yet received but I will give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back