The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Feb 7, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #646 of 803

Now what about my assumption that because larger pads create more space between your ears and the drivers sound more open. Is that a stretch? What's the correlation between pad size and soundstage? 

Thinner pads put the driver closer to your ear canals, making cymbals sound closer to you (among other effects). Try pushing headphones on any pads closer to your ears and you'll hear the cymbals seem louder, which has only negative effects on how you perceive the soundstage image. Even the bass drum gets the same boost so instead of hearing it coming from behind (well, as best as a headphone can anyway) the other instruments, not it feels too far forward, which makes the stage seem smaller also.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #647 of 803

Thinner pads put the driver closer to your ear canals, making cymbals sound closer to you (among other effects). Try pushing headphones on any pads closer to your ears and you'll hear the cymbals seem louder, which has only negative effects on how you perceive the soundstage image. Even the bass drum gets the same boost so instead of hearing it coming from behind (well, as best as a headphone can anyway) the other instruments, not it feels too far forward, which makes the stage seem smaller also.

That makes sense. Okay, good to know I'm not completely off-base. 

Out of curiosity, do you know of any good replacement pads for smaller over-ear headphones? I have a Focal Listen (which I love, btw), but the stock pads are uncomfortable, and don't isolate very well. I'm using much larger ZMF leather pads. These are much more comfortable, and seem to increase the soundstage. 

The Brainwayvz pads fit, but apparently muffle the bass, according to others who've tried them.

Thanks for all the good information!

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #648 of 803

That makes sense. Okay, good to know I'm not completely off-base. 

Out of curiosity, do you know of any good replacement pads for smaller over-ear headphones? I have a Focal Listen (which I love, btw), but the stock pads are uncomfortable, and don't isolate very well. I'm using much larger ZMF leather pads. These are much more comfortable, and seem to increase the soundstage. 

The Brainwayvz pads fit, but apparently muffle the bass, according to others who've tried them.

I haven't dabbled in smaller pads since I still prefer larger larger pads, even shoehorning them into smaller headphones that were originally on-ear (once I get a local 3D scanner+printer I'd make adapters that match theSR225, rather than carved wood that would look out of place on the plastic Grados).

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #649 of 803
Hello all,

Are the stock pad son the DT770s different than the ones on the higher dumber DTs? The ones I see in some pictures of other peopls DTs look like better quality. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #650 of 803
Hello all,

Are the stock pad son the DT770s different than the ones on the higher dumber DTs? The ones I see in some pictures of other peopls DTs look like better quality. 

The 770 and the 1770 have different pads

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #652 of 803
Feb 17, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #654 of 803
  has anyone tried the focus a earpads from hifiman on thier sony mdr 1r, do they fit and hows the sound?

Focus pads are too big for the MDR1R.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #656 of 803
Good Day Ladies & Gents.

Do hope all is well with you all :)

I have a pair of delightful Senn Momentum 2.0 cable version. For some reason after a not long period of time, it is like the Momentum 2.0 turn into ear saunas which is most upsetting. I know I run a tad hotter than most but this is ridiculous.

Any thoughts, feelings or advice please? Just a heads up but am in the UK for buying any pad solutions but this issue is subtracting away from a damn decent pair of cans! :frowning2:

Cheers

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #657 of 803
Good Day Ladies & Gents.

Do hope all is well with you all
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a pair of delightful Senn Momentum 2.0 cable version. For some reason after a not long period of time, it is like the Momentum 2.0 turn into ear saunas which is most upsetting. I know I run a tad hotter than most but this is ridiculous.

Any thoughts, feelings or advice please? Just a heads up but am in the UK for buying any pad solutions but this issue is subtracting away from a damn decent pair of cans!
frown.gif

Cheers

Normally when using a sauna, completely de-robing would be the optimal choice. 
Since you're from UK, and the general populous can be fairly prudish, perhaps a half-way solution would be more appropriate?

Seriously though, no idea what might be a good replacement earpad... I usually just take off a layer (not a summer solution) and carry on.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #658 of 803
Normally when using a sauna, completely de-robing would be the optimal choice. 
Since you're from UK, and the general populous can be fairly prudish, perhaps a half-way solution would be more appropriate?

Seriously though, no idea what might be a good replacement earpad... I usually just take off a layer (not a summer solution) and carry on.

Us Brits... Prudish?! Never! Completely naked and still sweating ears... On the bus and getting weird looks.. Heaven knows why! :) I preferred it when you were a colony... You can refer to me as Sire or Sir... That is if you are from the US of A! If not olde bean, I will work on a new title... Joking aside and yes you had me laughing out loud drinking my Latte but I do need a solution as it matters not if I am cool calm and collected, these pads are like being in hell on a hot day.....

I gave you some reputation with a thumbs up... Share2Care buddy!

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #660 of 803
Im interested in buying pairs of Dekoni, alpha pads, zmf pads, hm5 memory foam pads. If anyone has any to sell, please PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back