The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Oct 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,787 of 3,155
  anything at the level of roxannes, 846, w60 etc. one isn't exactly better than the other, they're just different.

Totally Agree!!!

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,788 of 3,155
  after almost another day of burn in (burn in cable and continuous use), i am finding my dx90 better sounding than before.:) 

and now that you mentioned brain burn, i am not sure if the player sounds better or my taste is just starting to shift as i appreciate its sq more now - after continuous use. what is important is i am enjoying. 
etysmile.gif

I agree that there can be brain burn in or getting used to a sound but in comparing the DX90 and many other products to a "known" sound, I can often hear the changes, which are due to time/burn in of the actual product. Most of the time it is good but I have also had products that started off not so bad in the sound and then went soft or too warm. For the dX90 I have found as so many have, that the actual product does change as the caps, resistors and other pieces, "burn in". That is one reason iBasso gives out the burn in cable for the DX90, which I now use with other new products. Wish I had thought of it! lol Great little addition to any new amp or dap instead of using headphones all the time for burn in. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #1,789 of 3,155
haw anyone been using the ortofon EQ-5 with the dx90 ? How is their synergy ?

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #1,790 of 3,155
haw anyone been using the ortofon EQ-5 with the dx90 ? How is their synergy ?

The EQ-5 seems to have a rolled off treble/upper mids. However the bass is solid and crisp. I believe you won't hear what makes DX90 great. (e.g. treble extension and 3D image or instrument separation.)

It might sound better than on an iPod, but not as significant compared to a better iem/headphone. I stopped using my eq-5 when I got the T-Peos H200. Which is also now doing time in the storage as well. ☺️

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,791 of 3,155
My DX 90 just arrived! Im going to be using it with bose Quietcomfort 15's as well as Mr Speaker Mad Dogz. Is there anything i should know? Do people typically rockbox it? How do i know what version of firmware that i have? When doing the burn in do i just leave the player plugged into power and let it play continuisly with the burn in cable?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,792 of 3,155
  My DX 90 just arrived! Im going to be using it with bose Quietcomfort 15's as well as Mr Speaker Mad Dogz. Is there anything i should know? Do people typically rockbox it? How do i know what version of firmware that i have? When doing the burn in do i just leave the player plugged into power and let it play continuisly with the burn in cable?

Mr Speaker Mad Dogz may be a good match with the dx90 (I think dx90 need a slightly bassy phone to sound alive).

There is a thread for rockbox. With an modded firmware in bonus.

For the version of firmware : Settings > Advanced > System Info 

You can doing the burnin process like you said, or by listening music.

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,795 of 3,155
i have a problem with my dx90.
i copied and paste all of my itunes songs in the folder of my memory card via usb.
after that, i cant find any songs anymore by artist after letter T. (those artists name including U, V, W X, Y, Z)
i dont know what's the real problem here.

1.  i kept deleting the memory card, and transferring it again.
2.  i kept on formatting the player hoping to arrange it by artist and find those who are missing from my copied and pasted songs, then to no avail, after a long wait of scanning the card, it still ends with the letter T artists.

is this a firmware problem guys? i cant find some of my artist via MENU. :frowning2:
please HELP.

im using ITUNES, all songs are mp3s in 320kbps.
i edited some of them so that they are organised alphabetically.
but i cant find some artist.

i redid all of this twice already, and its time consuming really. :frowning2:

FYI:
im using 64gig memory card, itunes copy paste.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,796 of 3,155
I seem to have a software issue in mine. the Dx90 is playing songs in random order when it isnt set to do so.

Would anyone be able to provide me instructions on how to use Mediamonkey create playlists? I found an older posts saying the DX90 isnt even going to support m3u playlists...did that change?

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,797 of 3,155
I think the next fw may support m3u, otherwise I think RockBox does

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #1,798 of 3,155
can any kind soul here tell me how is the synergy of dx90 with these 3 iems and if it's worth upgrading from a cowon J3

Re-272
Re-600
Ortofon EQ-5

thank you

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,799 of 3,155
I can't comment on your specified headphones but as a longtime J3 user I can tell you that DX90 is a joy to use and hear....especially with 24 bit and other HD (EG - DSF) sources that J3 couldn't handle. Very satisfied with the upgrade.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,800 of 3,155
Again I used the DX90 plugged into my Aux of my car for a 1900 mile trip and it was a joy. So much better than the CD player in the FJ Cruiser and the sound was dynamic and incredible sounding. Love it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back