The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 30, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #631 of 3,155
  My DX90 works fine (knock on wood), no button issues. My TG334's never sounded so good. I believe the DX90 is a wonderful value. I haven't personally compared it against the expensive AK line but I really don't think they could sound that much better. iBasso hit a home run with the DX90, we are lucky to be living in these times.

Glad you like it, I'm considering one myself.  And yes, there seems to be a growing argument these days about the diminishing returns in purchasing the very expensive DAPS, especially when it comes to driving iems at reasonable volume levels.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #632 of 3,155
  Was literally about to click on the checkout button on their site, hopefully they did not get a bad run from iBasso.
I am now debating on if I should proceed with this order, though I know if I don't then I will be missing on the pair of Brainwavz R3 they are throwing in.

I received my order this morning as well. No issues so far - and the R3 is one solidly built earphones - but without burn in, it's probably the last amongst the iem's I own. Maybe it will improve through time.. let's see. 

I stupidly ordered an extra case!  But that one's really on me, I was expecting a different case. but oh well. 

initial impression without amp - this is driving the Pk1, tf10i, re-400 really well - more natural than how x3 drives these iems.  I am excited to hook it up to my cans tonight.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #633 of 3,155
Glad you like it, I'm considering one myself.  And yes, there seems to be a growing argument these days about the diminishing returns in purchasing the very expensive DAPS, especially when it comes to driving iems at reasonable volume levels.

When you got a hand of the dx90, ill be waiting your feedback on this versus your Clas+vorgz rig.. :)

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #634 of 3,155
Not to be a pedant (okay, to totally be a pedant) can I suggest that chatter about shipping, stores, batteries & accessories, etc. move to the original dx90 thread so this one stays reasonably useful as a resource? Sometimes it's frustrating wading through pages and pages of tangential conversation when you're trying to get a handle on specific gear.

May 1, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #635 of 3,155
When you got a hand of the dx90, ill be waiting your feedback on this versus your Clas+vorgz rig..
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, the CLAS, aside from the extra bulk, is what makes me reluctant to even bother with a high end DAP.  With the new mid price DAP's, it's a little easier to justify the experimentation.  The only advantage, since portability is not a big thing with me, might be high resolution file transport, but I'm still hard pressed to say there is any difference once you get to 44.1/16 files (that's a whole other can of worms).

May 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #636 of 3,155
Not to be a pedant (okay, to totally be a pedant) can I suggest that chatter about shipping, stores, batteries & accessories, etc. move to the original dx90 thread so this one stays reasonably useful as a resource? Sometimes it's frustrating wading through pages and pages of tangential conversation when you're trying to get a handle on specific gear.

Fair enough.  I'd like to get more feedback on everyone's satisfaction, or lack thereof, with the UI of the DX90, which will be a make or break deal with me.  I do feel that shipping issues, however, are valid points of conversation given the excessively long periods that multitudes of today's new equipment take to ship.  Not to worry, there are plenty of pedantic head-fier's so you don't stand out! 
wink_face.gif

May 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #637 of 3,155
I've only had mine a couple of days but as far as UI goes, it's pretty much straight forward - basically what it says on the tin - which in my opinion is what a music player should be.

I haven't yet found anything to cause me frustration.

(Shipping may be a concern to some but has nothing to do with the player, and there is another thread already raging full of shipping discussion.)

May 1, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #638 of 3,155
The UI is simple enough and straight forward than say an iPod. As long as you keep your files clean (just the basic tags) there is nothing annoying enough to stop you from enjoying the good sound. Unless you want to nit pick and anything non playback related quirks bothers you.

As for shipping goes, ordering direct from iBasso is the best/fastest way and avoid any middle-man issues. But honestly waiting for a week or 2 is not that uncommon specially for new products. So I don't know why a lot of people worry too much.

May 1, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #639 of 3,155
  Why no enjoy it these few days and then send it back on friday? Email them to let them know you will send it back friday or maybe even monday if they agree to that?

Ah so unfortunate. :-\ what a hassle.

I assume you tried a factory reset? Sounds so weird that merely laying your finger on the button would prompt such a response.. perhaps it's something that kicks in regardless of you touching the button and it has to do with the firmware? 

Had the exact same problem with my DX90, which I ordered directly from iBasso. Mailed them about it and got a new DX90 from them in less than a week.
Perfect customer service. I have no experience with mp4nation though...

Yep, I guess that'd be best, sending it back on Friday that is. Anyways, I sent a mail to both ibasso and mp4nation and ibasso replied almost immediately (2.35am in China!). Apparently I can send it back to ibasso directly even though I bought it from mp4nation . Also, according to ibasso, my replacement unit would be sent out by May 4th, which is a sunday
confused.gif
. I'm guessing they meant May 5th instead.

All in all, kudos to ibasso for great customer service
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #642 of 3,155
  I received my order this morning as well. No issues so far - and the R3 is one solidly built earphones - but without burn in, it's probably the last amongst the iem's I own. Maybe it will improve through time.. let's see. 

I stupidly ordered an extra case!  But that one's really on me, I was expecting a different case. but oh well. 

initial impression without amp - this is driving the Pk1, tf10i, re-400 really well - more natural than how x3 drives these iems.  I am excited to hook it up to my cans tonight.

Thing is I will literally never use them, the only reason for me buying this DAC is to use in my vehicle 99% of the time and pair with my Klipsch KMC 3 bluetooth speakers when I am outside wanting to listen to music, I will rarely if ever use earbuds or headphones with this DAC.

May 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #643 of 3,155
i ordered from mp4nation, and guess what they want me to pay a deposit for 100 USD claiming something about customs in Israel are high, this never happened to me, what a ridiculous thing, I wrote them asking for refund lets see what happens

May 1, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #644 of 3,155
I ordered a dx90 from mp4nation too. I'm in France and mp4nation didn't ask deposit for customs. Is there an israelian specificity or other country know the same problem ?

May 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #645 of 3,155

Thing is I will literally never use them, the only reason for me buying this DAC is to use in my vehicle 99% of the time and pair with my Klipsch KMC 3 bluetooth speakers when I am outside wanting to listen to music, I will rarely if ever use earbuds or headphones with this DAC.

then the only thing you gain from the R3 is a possibility of resell. But really, I'm not so impressed with the R3 so far anyway and Im not sure how fast and how much you can sell them.  I think at this point there will always be risk of bad batch given Ibasso is struggling to fulfill the orders fast - and that's not much different from any other new and in demand gadget to begin with.  I'd say just pick one which distributor (or from ibasso directly) you feel is least gonna give you trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back