The "Dude Flick" Movie Club
Feb 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
I have decided to tweak the focus of this thread a little. Even before creating this thread, I toyed with the idea of creating this "dude flick movie club" as I call it, in which people can post their favorites and also discuss all things dude flick related. I know that Head-Fi already has a megathread dedicated to movies, but I thought that it might be fun to have a thread focusing more specifically on dude flicks.

DISCLAIMER: For the purpose of inclusivity, I will take this opportunity to say that, of course, people of all genders are welcome to post to this thread. I call these movies dude flicks because, speaking in general, men are most likely to enjoy them. I know, however, that men are not the only ones who enjoy these movies. Welcome any and all!

Here is a selection of some of my favorite dude flicks (in no particular order):

• The Alien franchise (Sci-fi/Horror)
  • Peter Jackson's filmography
  • The Babadook (Horror)
  • It Follows (Horror)
  • Stanley Kubrick's filmography (especially The Shining and 2001: A Space Odyssey)
  • Christopher Nolan's filmography (especially Inception and The Dark Knight trilogy)
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane
  • The Matrix
  • The Coen Brother's filmography (especially The Big Lebowski and Burn After Reading)
  • Quentin Tarantino's filmography
  • Fargo (the TV series)
  • Martin Scorsese's filmography (especially his collaborations with Leonardo DiCaprio)
In case the bold text wasn't a clue, the Coen brothers are my favorite directors.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 14
Mafia movies: Godfather series, Goodfellas

Action movies: Die Hard series, Rambo series, Lethal Weapon series

War movies: Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down

Other notables: Gone in 60 seconds, Fast and the Furious, Shawshank Remption, The Rock

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 14
Some things to add:

1) A hidden gem (imo) that many people here may not know about: Bad Taste (Peter Jackson's directorial debut) (available to watch on Prime Video). Bad Taste is cheesy in the best possible way. They informally call it (and other movies like it) a "splatstick" film (splatter + slapstick).

Taken from IMDB: "The population of a small town disappears and is replaced by aliens that chase human flesh for their intergalactic fast-food chain."

It is filled with buckets of outrageous, cheesy gore. Highly recommended. It isn't Oscar-worthy cinema by any means, but it was very entertaining.

I still have yet to watch another essential Peter Jackson film Dead Alive.

2) If you thought that Hugo Weaving's Agent Smith from The Matrix was a complete badass as I do, then I would also recommend The Interview and Proof, both also starring Hugo Weaving. Proof also features a memorable performance from a young Russell Crowe.

Armageddon (if you ignore the Animal Crackers scene)
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Taken
The Shining
Predator
Toy Story 3 (the ultimate man test)
A second nomination for The Shining! Maybe I'm a heathen for saying this, but, out of the ones I've seen, The Shining was the most enjoyable of Stanley Kubrick's films for me. 2001: A Space Odyssey wears the crown for best special effects I've seen in a movie though (I'm partial to special effects done "the old way" before computers were around).

That could make for a fun question. If you guys were to pick just one film that you felt has the best special effects you've seen in a movie, what would that one movie be?

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 14
For effects - Apocalypse Now takes a bit of beating. There's a part in it where a live cow is butchered, only it wasn't a special effect. Coppola managed to get permission to film it as an actual cultural event.

I'm not a great fan of 2001. There's some fantastic set pieces, but an awful lot of tedium between them...

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #11 of 14
Original Star Wars trilogy had the best special effects I've ever seen. Space Odessy is along the same lines as the effects were revolutionary at the time(more so if you consider the time at which it came out), but Star Wars was on steroids. Many greats FX people involved at the time that changed cinema FX. Great minds involve in it that were problem solvers although Lucas has gotten the spotlight.

Matrix and Jurassic Park are more modern day favorites, and they were well made, with or without consideration of FX. FX was to support the film, not take over the show, which is how film making should be.

I consider them to be milstones, and beyond that I really can't consider revolutions in film history in terms of FX.

Star Wars is significant since there was nothing like it before it's time.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 14
To me John Woo's finest was in his early days of Hong Kong Cinema golden days. I find they are the archetype of dude film. Buddy buddy relationships, lots of action, etc.. True classics.

Hard Boiled

A better tomorrow(the ones filmed by John Woo, first 3 I think?)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 14
Demolition Man.
It doesn't get much more dude flick than Rocky vs Blade...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back