The DSP Rolling & How-To Thread
Sep 20, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #151 of 155
Hoping to get some help with redline monitor
As soon as I add the vst to eq APO. The program crashes and I have to delete it from the config text before the program becomes stable again.

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #152 of 155
Hoping to get some help with redline monitor
As soon as I add the vst to eq APO. The program crashes and I have to delete it from the config text before the program becomes stable again.
can you make that VST work inside another VST host? just to make sure the issue doesn't lie with the VST itself being a failed install or having some setting that cause a conflict for some reason.
in general, some typical cause for VSTs causing a crash:
-32bit stuff hosted in 64bit hosts or vice versa
-the VST version not being handled by the host (usually stuff are available in VST2 and VST3).
-some internal setting for buffer or sample rate that causes a conflict, it could be monitor forcing a sample rate and EQapo having another, or just a matter of buffer/latency being set too short so it worked without VST, but it doesn't give the VST enough time to process the signal. usually that would just result in errors or crappy artifacts in the sounds, but on occasion it can just crash and tell us nothing.

I don't use EQ APO and the Monitor demo expired a long time ago so I can't test this. maybe someone else can and is willing to? just to make sure it normally works.

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #153 of 155
can you make that VST work inside another VST host? just to make sure the issue doesn't lie with the VST itself being a failed install or having some setting that cause a conflict for some reason.
in general, some typical cause for VSTs causing a crash:
-32bit stuff hosted in 64bit hosts or vice versa
-the VST version not being handled by the host (usually stuff are available in VST2 and VST3).
-some internal setting for buffer or sample rate that causes a conflict, it could be monitor forcing a sample rate and EQapo having another, or just a matter of buffer/latency being set too short so it worked without VST, but it doesn't give the VST enough time to process the signal. usually that would just result in errors or crappy artifacts in the sounds, but on occasion it can just crash and tell us nothing.

I don't use EQ APO and the Monitor demo expired a long time ago so I can't test this. maybe someone else can and is willing to? just to make sure it normally works.

the x32 works fine with Foobar. Its specific only to APO. This is an issue as my music listening is almost exclusively done over Deezer HiFi streaming.

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #154 of 155
For those people who need a VST host (chainer) to be able to use several VST plugins at once, but for some reason don't have or don't like Art-Tekhnika Console (which is getting quite old and is not updated any more), they can use Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer (stereo version).

I found out (by using "Bit-Compare" function in Foobar and converting from FLAC to FLAC while activating the processing with this Mixer) that if you switch it to 1 band mode, it deactivates any active crossovers in it, and this Mixer becomes a very good chainer (in 1 band mode it does not change sound at all if there are no activated plugins in it, so it's truly lossless in this regard. While in 2, 3 or 4 band mode, it still changes audio due to crossovers, even if there are no active plugins in it).

So, once you install it, choose "1 band" mode (circled in red) and click on the button circled in yellow. it will give you two more additional slots for plugins (yellow). Otherwise, you will have only 2 slots (green).

7776d0fcc0d7fa1d4ce3dc8583d78984.jpg

Blue Cat has another plugin, which is a proper chainer, it's called Blue Cat Patchwork. So, you may ask why use MB-7 Mixer? Unfortunately, you cannot hook up Parchwork to Foobar, because it has lots of input channels (it's designed to work with surround sound) and they are wired weirdly, neither George Yohng's VST Wrapper, nor Foobar VST adapter can recognize it (more about this problem of incompatibility here).

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #155 of 155
I remember trying blue cat patchwork, I liked how it could work as its own program like a VST host and we just use some virtual cable to route the audio path to it. or as a VST itself and become the host within a host(not sure how often that could be useful, but I liked the idea anyway ^_^.
my trial was stable(more stable than a bunch of free VST host I've used), but I personally prefer an approach where you drop stuff in a host and join them with "wires" in a WYSIWYG kind of process. IMO it's more intuitive and easier to diagnose when I mess up.

reading about MB-7 mixer, it has vst host as an extra feature and you suggest to disable what it's really made for(splitting the signal by frequency bands) and just use it to host plugins? if it was free I'd get it, but it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back