The Doors
Dec 30, 2004 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

goldenear

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about getting their Complete Studio Recordings box set as a way to get a better sound than the older releases. Anyone know if they will be releasing their first 4 albums remastered? If you have this box set let me know what you think of it.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 21
Yes that is the one you need to get.
Remastered by: Bruce Botnick and Bernie Grundman
http://www.robbykrieger.com/discography/dtdcsr.html

It won't be remastered again for a long, long time and probably wouldn't match this quality anyway. A step down in quality will probably result from future remasters.

THE COMPLETE STUDIO RECORDINGS
7-CD Boxed Set w/76-page booklet
Released: November 9, 1999
Produced by: Paul A. Rothchild
Engineered by: Bruce Botnick
Remastered by: Bruce Botnick and Bernie Grundman
Art Direction and Design by: John Heiden,
Jeri Heiden, and Kerry Baily
Label: Elektra 62434-2

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 21
Hi eyeteeth,

Thanks for your info and thoughts about this box set. I'll keep my eyes out for it on my rounds doing end of year shopping though I'll probably wind up buying it online cause I have rotten luck finding something I want on the spot at the brick and mortars.

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 21
Is this box set cut from the same cloth as the recently-released "Legacy" two-disc set? There were pops and cracks in a couple of the songs ("The End" and "Light my Fire") that were so irritating that I sold it. I'm not the only one who noticed...my understanding is that the CD was recorded a bit hot, and the noice is digital distortion.

If it's NOT from the same remastering, I'd also be interested in running it down.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Is this box set cut from the same cloth as the recently-released "Legacy" two-disc set? There were pops and cracks in a couple of the songs

I don't know anything about the "legacy" set Tom. There does seem to be a variety of varying quality Doors collections out. The one I speak of was HDCD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenear
CD universe has me a bit confused. Is this a newer remaster of the 1999 The Complete Studio Recordings?>http://www.cduniverse.com/productin...yle=music&Bab=E

That site has them both listed and the newer version is actually cheaper than the older one. Explain me this.

Although in two different packages, I'm 90% sure the CDs are the same. I'm 100% sure the cubed box is the Bernie Grundman remaster.

Amazon link
B00002NDBC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I sold this quite awhile ago and now I'm kicking myself.
The key to look for in either box is "remastered in 1999". If you want to go the extra mile the Hoffman remastered gold DCC individual Doors CDs, I heard once at a friends, will slightly top the Grundman remasters. I think that says a lot about the Grundmans. But you'll have to PAY! Amazon gold CD link $74 used/1 CD!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Is this box set cut from the same cloth as the recently-released "Legacy" two-disc set? There were pops and cracks in a couple of the songs ("The End" and "Light my Fire") that were so irritating that I sold it. I'm not the only one who noticed...my understanding is that the CD was recorded a bit hot, and the noice is digital distortion.

My redbook copy of "Legacy" is excellent, if a bit hot. No clicks, pops, or audible "digital" distortion. Maybe you need a new source, Tom
biggrin.gif

In the last year, I have picked up redbook remasters of most of the early Doors' albums which are much improved from the earler releases.

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 21
Today I got two remastered from the 1999 Grundman collection. L.A. Woman and Strange Days. I didn't go for The Doors cause I wanted to hear how good these remasters were first. Wow! I am impressed. I got them for $11.99 each at Circuit City. The Doors first album went for a premium @ $13.99. I will probably go back and snatch it tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your help.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 21
Completely independent of this thread, I just picked up the 7 disc box set (same longbox packaging as shown in the cduniverse link that goldenears provided). Last night I listened to The Doors (debut albulm) and it sounded fabulous even though I was using a PCDP. I can't wait to get home a hear these discs on a decent source. I'll do some comparisons to the 2 disc Legacy set as well, which does seem to be remastered quite "hot". But it's The Doors we're talking about, and that might be a good thing (to get your blood running).

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Completely independent of this thread, I just picked up the 7 disc box set (same longbox packaging as shown in the cduniverse link that goldenears provided).

I looked into it and the cube and long box sets contain the same CDs.
I'm reaquiring one too now.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
Has any one heard any of the wealth of live stuff that came out earlier this year?

yeah, i picked up 2 live sets and they sound fabulous but the booklets are identical, which sucks and the price is kinda steep.

edit: I recently picked up LA Woman on LP, remastered to 180gram and man, it kicks ass. I also own Strange Days as a Japanese import and that sounds quite good and its dead silent.

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I'm 100% sure the cubed box is the Bernie Grundman remaster.
Amazon link
B00002NDBC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I sold this quite awhile ago and now I'm kicking myself.

I came home with this box today (used).

For the most part the quality is beyond reproach! Haven't heard it all yet of course.
Some of it sounds absolutely palpable!
Lovely
cool.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 21
I have not heard the remastered versions, but I have the old versions and they sound quite decent, what is wrong on those, Morrison voice is very good and sounds very nice to me...IIRC, BMG has the whole doors set of individual CDs....but they are not the remastered versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back