The discovery thread!
Sep 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #14,281 of 99,304

I'm waiting for your intial impressions on the S2 vs Gratitudes:beyersmile:

Ooo, me too.
My S2 arrived today so I'm acclimating to it, but I think I'll keep em as my balanced phone. Comfy, mic/control, build, easy and fun sound. It may still need to burn in as the fx700 sound much smoother, and I would say from the brief listwn the JVC are more capable but not by much. And theyre not as clear with the midbass.

OK, preliminary impressions, just went for a dogwalk, get much of my best listening quiet nights out with Ozzie. Listened through Fiio X3, to my current favorite/obsession Power Pop band, Valley Lodge. My usual opening disclaimers/caveats: They are both new, both probably need more burn in time (really haven't burned in aside from listening so far-I'm lazy with the burn in process, do it sometimes). Second, some impressions may relate to fit..I have an easier time with the Monster style than the Philips style with the large casing. So here goes:
Build-I'd give this to the S2, feels solid, ceramic, Monster is plastic, don't note anything wrong there, but seems for $300 list, you'd expect more (as you can find them for about $60 now, this isn't such an issue). They both have flat cables and in line mics.
Isolation-Monster by a mile, but by design, as the S2 is semi open, Gratititude is closed. Still, S2 won't do as well in a noisy environment.
Bass-both do nicely, S2 maybe a bit cleaner, more controlled. Gratitude a bit more drive, more bass in amount (fit may play a role here-everyone seems to hear the S2 as very strong in the bass, I've settled on Comply Comfort Plus, but still not sure I've got perfect seal. 
Highs-both have strong high end, smoother on S2 (again, may be partly lack of break in), stronger on the Gratitudes, maybe a bit too strong. In prebreakin stage, some may find Gratitude a bit tizzy, though I like it 
I'd generally say they have different presentations, Gratitude being of the V type, that some love, is exciting, tends to drive the music more, S2 being more balanced all the way through
Both do a nice wide soundstage and imaging, though the S2 clearly does it better-detail/microdetail much easier to hear, open space between instruments clearer, quieter. Gratitude is more efficient, need volume up less than S2. Haven't tried amping yet-S2 may benefit and sound even better with more drive behind it, though colorations of Gratitude may make amping through line out beneficial for the Monster iem, something to try out at some point...
OK, my conclusion? First, I didn't feel any loss of enjoyment going from one to the other, never felt, "this stinks, need to go back to the other", different flavors. Listening to the Monsters now as I write (still going back and forth), fun sound. Just changed over, S2 is more refined. If I was to rate just on total sound (leaving out efficiency, fit, isolation), the S2 is the definite winner at this stage, open, clear, soundstage, detail excellent. I do have to fidget a whole lot to get the S2 to work for me, and the Monster is more comfortable (YMMV, of course, I seem to have more trouble with this than most here). However, the current asking price for the Gratitude, about $60 at many sites, is about half what the S2 generally sells for, and is definitely a good buy (and I should do a burn in to see if the highs smooth out, mids open more).

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #14,282 of 99,304
  Ok you metal-heads (and you know who you are!), for a different kind of metal, check out the "A weather front was stalled out in the Pacific--like a lonely person, lost in thought, oblivious of time" track from Cloudkicker's new album "Subsume". Pretty cool stuff. I haven't listened to the full album yet, but you can pay what you want for mp3 or flac download of it here. Btw, I found out about that from this great thread.

Wayne-there goes my sleep! Great thread, haven't had a chance to listen to the stuff, just forwarding links so I can check them out next few days, but that is taking quite a while. Actually, I've been downloading free FLAC from Archive.org and dimeadozen.org for quite some time, they have a tremendous amount of free FLAC (legal, band approved), some even hi-rez. In fact, I had to stop because there are only so many external hard drives you can hook up, and so much music you can listen to (must have downloaded a terabyte or so). There is also so much there, it's hard to know which concerts are worth downloading, quality can vary significantly (many on old cheap tape recorders, others good sounding soundboard recordings). It's nice to have specific concerts recommended to try out, the sites can be overwhelming otherwise. Thanks for the link, though, going to check out some of the other free downloads (some aren't quite free, they are "pay what you want", which does mean you can offer nothing, I suppose, but the intent is to sell them.)

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #14,283 of 99,304
  A bit more bass and a touch deeper stage,  the Deltas actually has the better balance and the treble has better presence and sparkle on the deltas.These guys payed attention to what they are doing on the Deltas. They deliberately did the best they can for the given materials and then tuned them with a more neutral slant. Aluminum housings are not too common on budget phones at all.Sound is very well represented across the board and while the bass end is not over done it hits all the right notes and sub bass is clean. Sure it could use a touch more extension on both ends and perhaps some more texture to the overall sound but I ain't gonna complain with what they did with these at all.  I would definitely put the Deltas around the VSD1 level and will be debatable which one is actually better. Lol I think the Deltas while not as good looking as the VSD1 actually has the better build..I can tell this phone can take some abuse. I am certain the folks at Brainwavz heard loud and clear the complaints of poor build quality in the past. There is nothing cheap about the Delta except for the cost..These sound better to me than the M5 I got for free with my X3 and those are worth $50. Guys that want maximum sound for the cash..The Deltas sound nothing like budget fi. Not even remotely close.

The sound isn't exaggerated or colored much just clean balanced satisfying sound. These would make perfect workout/ throw around phones or great backups. They give a good little variety of tips silicones and a pair of complys but I would try out other tips to get the best performance out of these. Brainwavz did an outstanding job. The colors, meh but who cares whey they sound this good.  I only wish more vendors would up their game like these guys have. And no crazy amounts of burn in needed.

Whoa up to par with the VSD1? That's pretty amazing.

How do you feel about these compared to the SHE357/8/90s, or the MP8320s, or even the MH1s? Sounds like these will be the new kings of value, time to lay a preorder down :)

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #14,284 of 99,304
My JVC HA-FX40-Bs have been around for a while now but they never did anything for me and as such have had hardly any time in ear but perhaps thirty hours burn in. They seem to have a really unnatural timbre and it's only strong point as far as I'm concerned is the low end and especially the sub bass. Can these things really improve that much past the thirty hour mark, otherwise I'll see if they can refund me for them as they really aren't that special.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #14,285 of 99,304
  I would give these a silver. They aren't quite gold yet. Unless burn in turns them into the sound I think they could be.. Actually they sound really good even now but be clear on these they are not your typical bass first budget fi consumer sounding phones at all, so guys wanting big bass slam will not get it with these. The balance is more like how the AD900X is..Bass accents the music on this one to be satisfying. The sound is very versatile and bass has quality over quantity no hump and certainly no trunk o funk..I have heard phones that cost 10X more than these that don't have the balance these do..They sound great from Jazz to metal to EDm..I was listening to them all this morning when I was out and about. I have a big variety on my play list and all of it sounded good. Even lil wayne. Lol.

I was almost sold for the VSD1 and I was waiting to collect the amount and now Brainwavz changes everything!
Since I don't really care about big bass. Two simple questions for the preorder!
1) Are the Deltas better for Classic Rock/Grunge than VSD1?
2) Are they anywhere close to sibilance?

PS I also dislike the colors of the Deltas but I can live with it.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #14,286 of 99,304
if you like ambient/reggae/dub, this is a free download that you should like...
http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/soulacybin-self-existing-earth

(from the same thread Wayne linked to)

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #14,287 of 99,304
  My JVC HA-FX40-Bs have been around for a while now but they never did anything for me and as such have had hardly any time in ear but perhaps thirty hours burn in. They seem to have a really unnatural timbre and it's only strong point as far as I'm concerned is the low end and especially the sub bass. Can these things really improve that much past the thirty hour mark, otherwise I'll see if they can refund me for them as they really aren't that special.

I would return them if you still have a window to do so . They are gonna require a much longer break in period for them to become proper. You can blame it on the Carbon nanotube.  Get yourself on a preorder of the Brainwavz Deltas instead. No long break in period required on these.
  I was almost sold for the VSD1 and I was waiting to collect the amount and now Brainwavz changes everything!
Since I don't really care about big bass. Two simple questions for the preorder!
1) Are the Deltas better for Classic Rock/Grunge than VSD1?
2) Are they anywhere close to sibilance?

PS I also dislike the colors of the Deltas but I can live with it.

These sound great for Rock genres and sibilance is only heard on bad recordings where I know there is sibilance no matter what phone I listen to the track with so these won't emphasize the highs to the point of added sibilance. Plus great news. No driver flex of any kind was detected when trying out over 10 plus pairs of tips on these. The build on these means these are gonna last.

These are no where near a reference type sound but they are small, light, built very well, no annoying cord problems, and best of all they sound way better than they look. $20 is tax on many earphones I buy.. A complete no brainer.. Not too many phones comes out sounding like these if at all for the cost with the build..

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #14,288 of 99,304

I would return them if you still have a window to do so . They are gonna require a much longer break in period for them to become proper. You can blame it on the Carbon nanotube.  Get yourself on a preorder of the Brainwavz Deltas instead. No long break in period required on these.

I don't mind being patient with them and I don't particularly need any IEMs as I have plenty of others knocking around but in your description in the first post you said you were wowed by them right off the bat. I think the sound's just not for me unfortunately.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #14,290 of 99,304

Whoa up to par with the VSD1? That's pretty amazing.

How do you feel about these compared to the SHE357/8/90s, or the MP8320s, or even the MH1s? Sounds like these will be the new kings of value, time to lay a preorder down :)

Each of these phones you mentioned all punch above their cost in sound and I would easily put these Deltas among that group. These are probably going to be the bass lightest out of the bunch here but actually has the best balance out of this group. The MP8320 comes closest to the balance of the Deltas.. Each one of those has their strengths and weaknesses.

The Deltas strengths in sound would be their balance, solid detail, excellent vocal and instrument performance, more neutral in presentation, fantastic build quality.

Weakness in sound would be in needing more stage and depth to really make these crazy,  sub bass roll off, a touch of gain in the highs..Who chose the reddish pink accents for the looks. I have no idea.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #14,291 of 99,304
  I don't mind being patient with them and I don't particularly need any IEMs as I have plenty of others knocking around but in your description in the first post you said you were wowed by them right off the bat. I think the sound's just not for me unfortunately.

Ya I was. I think at that point I have never heard such a clear  presentation. Something new for me at least..Sure it might not be the most ideal of sound but I was more blown away by how good they sound after I did my time with them on the burn.. Those do sound much better with warmer sources. Sony daps if you got any.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #14,293 of 99,304
  Ya I was. I think at that point I have never heard such a clear  presentation. Something new for me at least..Sure it might not be the most ideal of sound but I was more blown away by how good they sound after I did my time with them on the burn.. Those do sound much better with warmer sources. Sony daps if you got any.

I decided if they could survive a song from my Magni at maximum volume then I'd keep them. In their defence they did make it about half way through which was really quite impressive but they gave out in the end.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #14,294 of 99,304
There will be a new $50 portable out...http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029276&pathId=112&page=1

As a global community of wonderful headphones, JVC has been ONLY ONE unique technology prides itself on carbon diaphragm technology has certain achievements. Today we got this HA-S660 on the use of carbon diaphragm technology, let us together look HA-S660 style.
6A8DE2A1E62544B6919E7B77EBBAF438.jpg
 ​
JVC's wooden diaphragm headphones, two consecutive years by the authority of the judges Japanese AV VGP Gold headphones. HA-S660 in order to meet the appearance of control, the trend of personalized user absolve themselves mod troubles, with a variety of colors to entice players to color. HA-S660 is located in a high-quality headphones can be packed for focus on appearance and comfort at the same time there are certain requirements on the quality of the user.
EA8EA1D125450F99C296CC8C31469E97.jpg

HA-S660 packaging​
HA-S660 headphones using the oval shape, airtight structure, cell diameter of 40mm, frequency response range of 8-25000Hz, Cable length 1.2m, weighing only 194g.
HA-S660 Appearance Analysis:
Catches sight of this HA-S660 headphones, classic black design, the first beam at the use of leather head restraints, to further enhance the quality and comfort of the headset. HA-S660 uses both sides into the line, as not-for-line design.
E909442E4DE089839C11A2F289575D11.JPG

HA-S660 overall appearance of the figure​
HA-S660 outer ear part is relatively bright colors, decorated with metal junction kind of trim. JVC middle of the classic signs, people will identify a headset brand. Shell crystal clear, feel more delicate, fly in the ointment is easy to leave fingerprints when touched.
288D1D43633AF1254A71AD4720AE6281.jpg

HA-S660 clear logo​
Ear cushions office leather craft, the inner ear with soft leather and sponge pad design. Can be effectively isolated from outside noise, soft sponge, so I was pleased to place the entire ear sponge filler relatively thick, wear comfortable to wear even for a long time will not bring discomfort.​
88E299DA8D6BB2B56D99566481CFAD1F.jpg

Soft leather and foam pad​
HA-S660 head beam adjustment at the metal skeleton, the strong degree of respect or reassuring. Shaft-style design, allowing a good fit ear headphones, comfortable to wear, easy to adjust.​
E2E05C02F22F7BFFE1C24940E4DB8835.jpg

First beam with metal skeleton​
HA-S660 headphones relatively thick solid line thick, not easily pulled snapped. With the entire headset, looks very high-end atmosphere on the grade.​
5C887A56805176657D94B4C114724BF8.jpg

Three-plug​
HA-S660 headphones listening test:
HA-S660 headphones using three kinds of folding portable design, earmuffs part can be folded to the first beam, after folding headphone volume is reduced by half, more convenient to carry out.
CD225BC1586CDFF4636DED0A3DA5ECE5.JPG

Folded for easy carrying​
In the audio testing, small series for the iPhone and ipod classic audition. Test track with a small series of often heard Faye Wong, Jacky Cheung, and Avril children and other singers.
02A83FF20ECB40A45897089D878A365D.jpg

And good integration iphone​
After a period of audition, HA-S660's performance in the sound quality is satisfactory, low dive good, feeling in control of the good, but a little lacking in the extended area, for the low frequency of the crowd who will be asking too much little tangled. In Fort machine, the effect will be more.
E92FB04B65D3FD1BBE659EA23148780D.jpg

And good integration iphone​
IF remarkable aspects of the human voice clearer, more smooth, strong sense of line, very suitable for listening to pop music. High-frequency part, the sound transparent, strong performance, a sense of space and field sense. Even though there will not be prolonged listening to coax head feeling, and good sound insulation, suitable for wearing it quiet in the music world in some narcissism.
   HA-S660 Headphones Review summary:
HA-S660 is located in a high-quality headphones can be packed for the pursuit of fashionable young people. Earmuffs with a soft leather package, the internal use sponge pad, wearing comfort good. Compatibility of the phone is compatible with the iPhone and Android phones as well as mainstream a variety of portable music devices and compatibility. And there are black, white, red, purple multicolor optional, for those who have more color control options.
EED20F2FDB5A2C0C1D9B805A188E2EAB.JPG

Color optional​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back