The discovery thread!
Jun 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #2,296 of 99,651
We have something new. Coming on the 13th of July...

AT gives us the ATH-CK505M. Not the CKM505 but the CK505M so not a real heavy hitter but something I'm Mr. Dsnuts will feel compelled to  purchase:)

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #2,298 of 99,651
From this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/609397/im-done-vsonic-gr02-bass-edition-vs-gr06 , I got them from bigbargainonline per Magicman recommendation. Then again I live in Asia and they shipped from Hong Kong. If you are in the US then lendmeyourears is your best option, like Valance said.

Thanks, I ordered from lendmeyourears, could not resist, FX101 is also on its way…will post my findings when I get both of them.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2,299 of 99,651
@musicinmymind

Congrats, a short comparison would be great after you got both. I got my FX40 the longest way, had it shipped to a relative in US then wait for her coming back, maybe in a week or so. FX40 is not available in this region. Ordering from amazon.co.jp could bump it to $40. That would beat the whole idea of FX40.

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #2,300 of 99,651
Quote:
So I just picked up the HA–FR201.  I dig the bass, but these things are very nasty on the "S" sounds, and sound fairly harsh to my ears.  I'm not going to judge them yet, but I'm wondering how long they need for true burn in.  I'm seriously thinking of giving them about 1000 hours of a mix of music, especially nasty black/death metal, at moderate volume to see if that does the trick.
Coming from my Yuin PK3, which received plenty of burn-in before I listened to them, I'd say that the Yuins offer a more tonally balanced and pleasing sound.  I don't think they can touch the low bass of the JVC though.

I'm having a similar experience with my HA-FR201. They are extremely sibilant out of the box. Much more so than the HA-FX1X from what I remember.  Sibilance usually doesn't bother me too much and I listen to music with a lot of female vocals. So far these earphones are definitely close to my sibilance threshold, which I think is pretty high.
I'm burning in the FR201s, hopefully the sound will change for the better as mentioned many times in this thread. I'll listen to them again after 25 hours and again after 50 hours to see if I notice any difference.

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,301 of 99,651
Not sure how you missed it but there's only 2 IEMs that are mainly represented on this The discovery thread. NEW!! The JVC HA-FX40. Page 83...JVC HA-FX101. Page 96 thread.
I would suggest you look at the FX40.
Quote:
I'm new here and a bit of a noob when it comes to audio. I bought the FX101's after reading this great thread and they are the 1st proper pair of IEM's I've owned (yes that much of a noob 
tongue.gif
).

So far, I have burned them in for 87 hours and they sound much better than anything I've owned before but seeing as this is my first pair, I'm not sure if I like this sound signature as the vocals sound slightly recessed to me and the bass overpowers things a tad. I would prefer the vocals to be more forward and other instruments so maybe I should be looking at a neutral signature? I like various genres of music really.

Any recommendations regarding an IEM I should go for around £10 - £30? (around $15 - $47). What's this TRS thing regarding android phones? Do I need to buy TRRS for them to work properly? 

Thanks guys.

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #2,302 of 99,651
The HA-FX40 cost 50$ through eBay, and come in suspicious colors that aren't available through the JVC website.
Amazon is, as usual, counting to potato, just allowing me to know wether I can actually have something shipped to my country on the exact last screen before I can make a purchase (eBay is aeons ahead of Amazon in this aspect). I have already clicked 20 confirm buttons, why am I just now knowing I can't give you my money?
So if someone knows a way to smuggle these with a few bottles o'rum to Portugal, I'd be much appreciated. And as usual a big thank you to Dsnuts - by the way you might want to consider putting some headers the first post. You're doing a great job of course, but it's hard to navigate through it.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #2,304 of 99,651
Quote:
I'm new here and a bit of a noob when it comes to audio. I bought the FX101's after reading this great thread and they are the 1st proper pair of IEM's I've owned (yes that much of a noob 
tongue.gif
).

So far, I have burned them in for 87 hours and they sound much better than anything I've owned before but seeing as this is my first pair, I'm not sure if I like this sound signature as the vocals sound slightly recessed to me and the bass overpowers things a tad. I would prefer the vocals to be more forward and other instruments so maybe I should be looking at a neutral signature? I like various genres of music really.

Any recommendations regarding an IEM I should go for around £10 - £30? (around $15 - $47). What's this TRS thing regarding android phones? Do I need to buy TRRS for them to work properly? 

Thanks guys.

The Radiopaq Jazz for 10 quid on Amazon UK seems like a great deal. I wish I could buy it for $16. I'm in the US though and can't get it.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #2,305 of 99,651
Jun 18, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #2,307 of 99,651
The Jazz are really nice, only issue is the really crappy 3.5mm jack. Still well worth £10. They're a much less ergonomic fit than the FX40. In the process of recabling my Jazz so can't compare them atm.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2,308 of 99,651
After burning in for approximately 80 hours, the FX101 is still tearing my eardrums with the harsh treble. The hard plastic packaging was thrown away, hopefully return is still accepted.

Again, I'm very very impressed with the overall sound quality FX101 provides, except for the treble. It's gotta be just a bad pair. If return is not accepted, I will ask for an exchange a try again.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2,309 of 99,651
After burning in for approximately 80 hours, the FX101 is still tearing my eardrums with the harsh treble. The hard plastic packaging was thrown away, hopefully return is still accepted.

Again, I'm very very impressed with the overall sound quality FX101 provides, except for the treble. It's gotta be just a bad pair. If return is not accepted, I will ask for an exchange a try again.
Keep letting them run. The treble calms down to a nice comfortable bright level. The likelyhood of a bad pair is prolly negligible.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,310 of 99,651
Quote:

Same here, burn-in didn't help much at all (70 Hours). 
I am using Iphone 4 as a source. (PC wasn't much different though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back