The discovery thread!
Dec 24, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 99,738
I do not know why I keep falling for the "giant killer" threads -- but, yes, I did it again and just ordered a pair of red Tt's for $19.99 plus shipping.   Maybe this will be the El Cheapo that actually is listenable. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #17 of 99,738
I see that you have a few Audio Technica phones so you will be able to tell what is up with the Isaurus almost immediately. There is just simply no possible way these are not from Audio Technica. Plus I noticed the packaging is from the same factory that does the packaging for the Denon HP1000 and the Allen and Heath Xone 53s which are both also made by Audio Technica. Show a Japanese AT exec a good time and he throws you a driver. That's business right there.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 99,738
I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread! I may jump on both of these but money is still money.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #19 of 99,738
True nuff I would honestly say if you wanted to try one of these. Try the cheaper one the Philips SHE3580. If you look at these online it just screams of standard cheapo multicolored iems a kin to the JVC marshmallows and the like that have nothing to do with great sound worthy of the best audiophile site in the world.

They look and smell like them throw away cheapos that come in multi colors you use for the gym and throw away when they get too much ear wax on them. Oh how surprising were these. The level of sound quality and the value in just sound is off the charts. I know I have told guys on my Mp8320 thread that I am actively searching for anything better for the cost? I have to admit these are it. The MP8320 still have enough of a difference in sound and dynamics to warrant a purchase when those are back in stock but these..

These will appeal to everyone..All the guys that trusted me in the MP 8320 thread and was rewarded with one of the best values in all of audio land is about to get another huge surprise..Once you get these please do compare them to your high ends. You will be surprised like you have never been before. Sure the Philips SHE3580 can use a wider stage and more detail but once you hear them you won't know what to think. They are that crazy!

The Thermaltakes speak for themselves. In other words I just showed this community how everyone can get a $200 iem for cheap.!!  The Philips SHE3580. These stand by themselves because of their sound alone. These have now set the bar for me for sub $10 iems. These will throw a loop in everyones thoughts about how a sub $10 can sound. You keep tabs as these will both blow the collective minds of all that try them..

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #20 of 99,738
I've got a number of low ends, hence I'm very tempted to try them for comparison purposes, but £25 (£15 for the Tt and £10 for the Philips) is still money and it's 10% of what I'm saving for customs lol. I'll definitely try them later though! I feel really bad because I've bought about 4 earphones from Amazon and returned them all for a refund and I don't want to that with these and I won't be able to sell these on as they're already so cheap! I'm not a very generous guy either so I won't want to give these away. And well, even if they're good I woudn't use them anyway hence why it's putting me off buying them. I'd certainly like to listen to them though.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #21 of 99,738
I would wait for some impressions to come in on them. I have bought over 10 cheaper iems in the past and these and my MP8320 have nothing to do with cheap sounds. You will see.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #22 of 99,738
Thanks for the info but I think saying they use CKM99 drivers is pure speculation with no basis. Going by one review that compares them to IEMs that you may not have heard isnt a good basis. Side by side ccomparisons haven't even been done. To know or get close you have to get someone like Tyll To measure the impedance phase of both. Still, the CKM99 wasn't very good sounding at all, generous rating by joker IMO. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #23 of 99,738

Quote:
I would wait for some impressions to come in on them. I have bought over 10 cheaper iems in the past and these and my MP8320 have nothing to do with cheap sounds. You will see.

I'm a bargain hunter as well :) I personally think the Focalprice CK-700s are awesome. Unfortunately I can't try the MP8320 due to the insane shipping price to the UK.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #24 of 99,738
Your right there is some speculation but I think for the cost, and for the sound quality alone for the price it is worthy of purchase but Jokers description of how the CKM99 sound. He is describing the Isaurus to a T. I also was checking out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/550802/audio-technica-ath-ckm99-review takoyaki7 who also own them describe the CKM99 exactly how I would describe the sounds. I have no doubts these are AT drivers. The sound signature is the same as even my new AT A900X. I was considering maybe the CKM77 or many of the other lower end iems AT makes. CKM99 driver size and description match up with the Isaurus exactly.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 99,738
http://www.head-fi.org/t/550802/audio-technica-ath-ckm99-review

http://www.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?g=spec&s=10

I'm not sure where the information about the driver size came from in the first review but different sized drivers = different drivers right ? Can anyone else confirm this ? I might just pick one up if the Isurus was indeed a rebranded CKM99.

Edit: The CKM99 drivers are indeed 14mm, unlike the Isurus, which is 13.5mm

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f0dfe17b2db64a43/index.html

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #26 of 99,738
Ya but what you guys have to understand.. Yes the specs say 14mm on the CKM99 and 13.5 on the isaurus.. And sound specs are different as well.. However. If I was AT and I outsourced a house driver to a company name Thermaltake why would I show the world that I am using the same driver? What matches up is the sound description from Jokers review on the CKM99 and others. They are describing the Isaurus exactly there is no denying this..Sure I would love to just purchase a CKM99 and do A/B testing to make sure but you know what. I know what I hear and I am hearing the exact description.. Read what SoundFreaq wrote and that was before he even read Jokers review. Do the comparison on what he wrote and what joker wrote on the description for the CKM99.

@Inks I think I wouldn't have been so happy if I spent $200 on the CKM99 so you are right but for $20?

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 99,738

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/550802/audio-technica-ath-ckm99-review

http://www.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?g=spec&s=10

I'm not sure where the information about the driver size came from in the first review but different sized drivers = different drivers right ? Can anyone else confirm this ? I might just pick one up if the Isurus was indeed a rebranded CKM99.

Edit: The CKM99 drivers are indeed 14mm, unlike the Isurus, which is 13.5mm

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f0dfe17b2db64a43/index.html

Well you're talking about the Isurus and he's talking about the Isaurus... 
popcorn.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #28 of 99,738

Quote:
Ya but what you guys have to understand.. Yes the specs say 14mm on the CKM99 and 13.5 on the isaurus.. And sound specs are different as well.. However. If I was AT and I outsourced a house driver to a company name Thermaltake why would I show the world that I am using the same driver? What matches up is the sound description from Jokers review on the CKM99 and others. They are describing the Isaurus exactly there is no denying this..Sure I would love to just purchase a CKM99 and do A/B testing to make sure but you know what. I know what I hear and I am hearing the exact description.. Read what SoundFreaq wrote and that was before he even read Jokers review. Do the comparison on what he wrote and what joker wrote on the description for the CKM99.

If Thermaltake got their hands on drivers that are meant for $300 USD IEMs, why would they price them at $35 ? I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on the specs being altered. If the specs were indeed altered, then Thermaltake should know how much the Isurus is worth, so why price them at such a low price ? If this is indeed the truth I'm sure Audio Technica won't be happy about it either because no one would buy their CKM99s if everyone knew the Isurus was nearly the same thing but with an extra mic. Looks like the only way to find out is to email someone from one of those companies

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #30 of 99,738

This helicopter was seen leaving AT's headquarters heading towards thermaltakes secret bunker.

Quote:

@Inks I think I wouldn't have been so happy if I spent $200 on the CKM99 so you are right but for $20?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back