The discovery thread!
Jan 18, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #71,386 of 99,293
Hakugei Sea-elf arrived!

OTTB impression;
-Shell faceplate is extremely cheap texture paste…it reminds me of counterfeit streetside cigarette lighters with nude blondie models on it. Hakugei has a lot to do with that faceplate quality for sure,

—Stock ear tips are very basic, I probably will do a ear tip roll sooner or later. At least it comes with another ear tip storage box. Stock ear tip boost Bass too much, and cuts out treble too much, not a good match. Currently pairing with Latex H570.

-Cable is pretty nice feeling, soft compared to the more premium ones that comes with See Audio Bravery. But I can see a cost down took place for this cable.

The L/R indicator has to face inward to have proper polarity, if you plugged L/R indicators facing outward (as you can see both face plate & L/R indicator on the cable, that’s wrong connection. My first guess was that and the moment I hear the sound, I noticed the polarity was reversed. L/R had to face inward for Sea-elf)

—Pretty bass heavy! Driver transient speed is fast enough that I can tell it is LCP.

— 2pin socket and IEM seemed detached, which actually worries me…

—qdc tuning Sea-elf it is. Very exactly what I was looking for. Less engaging upper-mid qdc tuning with dual-LCP. I can tell qdc tuning is not for everyone , as this is the very anti-thesis of popular harman (upper-mid focused). People looking for vivid vocals may feel this tuning may lacking focus on vocals and instruments.

—however I don’t see the upper registers performance at this moment yet. Will try to play with Sea elf and see how it turns out.

—OOTB impression is quite positive for me, as a initial voice from sloppy LCP, it does enough first impression. I’m going to expect more defined bass imaging, tighter control as more hours are waged on Sea-elf.

The only concern is the lack of air and resolution, I will see if this a permanent thing or IEM-native. Not sure why but there are no 10khz+🤔 Lack of air is what I’m going to expect from TRN X7, I’d expect more air from the FR of Sea Elf. Will report back for this later.

This didn’t happened to 6mm LCP + 10mm LCP Truthear Zero, so I’m not sure why, Sea elf isn’t singing on upper registers

[30min of initial run]
—treble extension starts to kick in😄 H570 ear tip tones down somewhat excessive mid-bass yet retain the bass rumble. Still Sea-elf is not the level of Truthear ZERO yet, but bass and mid is performing better. I probably would let Sea-elf get to get her legs stretched for a while for the new home then👏
Hakugei surely need to deal with build quality with sea-elf😮‍💨

Lenovo LP5 $11 TWS;
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPVdb82

Wow, better than I expected from my experience with their $12 bluetooth headphone. Mid-bass thru mid-centric softer sounding but it has OK level for back up kid for TV-use. I may not for music, but it works fine for conference call. I got is as a back up kit for TV‘s wireless solution. Ok resolution for $10 IEM, but the somewhat muddy mid-bass makes it not a good kid for music. Amazingly it stops playing when you pull off from your ear, wow very functional! (I have no idea why battery status indicator LED is always on for the case)

Lenovo $10 TWS XT88
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOxhrAq

Better tonal balance than LP5, still a bit nasal, random mid-bass boosted mainstream V-shape. Better set than LP5, and works fine as a back up set for TV’s wireless solution. No fatal flaws except rather bloated bass but that is hard to complain for almost sub$10 TWS. I will be sad if I have been issued this as a gear to enjoy music, but fine with watching TV and conference calls.
Follow up on Sea-Elf.

Faceplate
▶︎Does it look like you copy and pasted random 3DCG texture? Yes it is. Not a good quality faceplate.
ADE9B92D-C0AF-4DCE-BE0B-AE5ABB0F6EE1.jpeg

▶︎shell built is somewhat low grade, it looks like whoever made Sea-Elf isn’t experienced in making IEMs, good news and bad news for this.

Good news; Sea-Elf isn’t your ordinary IEM coming out of same ODM with different faceplates and same drivers, it is out of nowhere type brand new IEM.

Bad news: This brand new IEM still has lots of challenges to overcom, especially the build quality, this reminds me of GeekWold GK10. We probably can expect some quality issues

▶︎After 4 hours of runing, the driver starts to shine. Bass is very impactful and enjoyable with H570 ear tips. Mid is a little recessed just like Bravery’s tuning. Enjoyable U-shape with qdc in mind for upper mid presentation

▶︎10khz finally starts to show some presence yet not reaching the level of Truthear ZERO’s performance. Will report back.

Driver’s distortion starts to settle. Sound Image’s focus starts to get better.

It seems this dual driver isn’t too good at handling sub 30hz though.

Tonality isn’t like what Bravery does “Fragile / Transparent and resolving” Sea-elf is more of “Warm and fun-tuned” with main weight on bass.

The main part of Sea-Elf is the fun sounding bass, it has two vent holes that let two of its dual LCP driver to breathe. Sound guide tube is very wide.
7A7717C7-9B30-4247-8C81-62A7562BB0E7.jpeg
81D6BF4F-9D20-48DF-A0B4-70EA8A34754D.jpeg
2AF144D9-B2AE-4DFF-9ABF-F441187D70FF.jpeg

They need to do something with faceplate, but the shell’s main part looks very nicely 3D printed. It’s just the socket of 2pin connectors are somewhat loose that worries me a bit in a long run.

What I started to find from Sea-elf is that it has layering capabilities, when played a full orchestra, it rendered a good layers of symphony, of course not a BA/EST like detailed textures, but LCP driver’s inoffensive soft touched layers are some unique features on Sea-elf.

Sea-Elf vs Truthear ZERO.

Both IEM are dual LCP drivers, but ZERO is 10mm woofer + 6mm tweeter set up, as opposed to dual 10mm?

Surely ZERO has more natural tonal balance, as basically the tuning is a copy from Moondrop’s Variations.
ZERO’s has forward imaging projection vs Sea-Elf’s side projection. ZERO has higher imaging focus, Sea Elf has more layers than ZERO.

I guess I will fully burn-in Sea Elf to see how it would compete with Truthear ZERO, at this moment Sea-Elf is still 1.5 class below Truthear ZERO.

midtange overtone test; hmm not very technical at this moment(6th hour). Harmonic distortion could be easily detected.

If Sea-Elf ever catches up with Truthear ZERO’s technicalities in the future, I guess this will be a one of alternative option to audiences not liking “vocal-forward” styled tuning mainly harman variants. Like @Leonarfd pointed, I also would love to drop mid-bass @200hz ish of Sea elf few decibels down. Bravery has the same level of floor structure but that’s a BA’s woofer, the sound pressure impact of BA woofer vs dual 10mm LCP is night and day.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #71,388 of 99,293
Impressive analysis so fast, tbh I felt almost bad when reviewing it so much wrong. Specially the faceplate. And also agree very much on the fun bass being its main thing. One of the sets that had tightened the most up with burn in.

You have good ears sir 👌 I need a very long time to define what I hear.
Follow up on Sea-Elf.

Faceplate
▶︎Does it look like you copy and pasted random 3DCG texture? Yes it is. Not a good quality faceplate.

▶︎shell built is somewhat low grade, it looks like whoever made Sea-Elf isn’t experienced in making IEMs, good news and bad news for this.

Good news; Sea-Elf isn’t your ordinary IEM coming out of same ODM with different faceplates and same drivers, it is out of nowhere type brand new IEM.

Bad news: This brand new IEM still has lots of challenges to overcom, especially the build quality, this reminds me of GeekWold GK10. We probably can expect some quality issues

▶︎After 4 hours of runing, the driver starts to shine. Bass is very impactful and enjoyable with H570 ear tips. Mid is a little recessed just like Bravery’s tuning. Enjoyable U-shape with qdc in mind for upper mid presentation

▶︎10khz finally starts to show some presence yet not reaching the level of Truthear ZERO’s performance. Will report back.

Driver’s distortion starts to settle. Sound Image’s focus starts to get better.

It seems this dual driver isn’t too good at handling sub 30hz though.

Tonality isn’t like what Bravery does “Fragile / Transparent and resolving” Sea-elf is more of “Warm and fun-tuned” with main weight on bass.

The main part of Sea-Elf is the fun sounding bass, it has two vent holes that let two of its dual LCP driver to breathe. Sound guide tube is very wide.

They need to do something with faceplate, but the shell’s main part looks very nicely 3D printed. It’s just the socket of 2pin connectors are somewhat loose that worries me a bit in a long run.

What I started to find from Sea-elf is that it has layering capabilities, when played a full orchestra, it rendered a good layers of symphony, of course not a BA/EST like detailed textures, but LCP driver’s inoffensive soft touched layers are some unique features on Sea-elf.

Sea-Elf vs Truthear ZERO.

Both IEM are dual LCP drivers, but ZERO is 10mm woofer + 6mm tweeter set up, as opposed to dual 10mm?

Surely ZERO has more natural tonal balance, as basically the tuning is a copy from Moondrop’s Variations.
ZERO’s has forward imaging projection vs Sea-Elf’s side projection. ZERO has higher imaging focus, Sea Elf has more layers than ZERO.

I guess I will fully burn-in Sea Elf to see how it would compete with Truthear ZERO, at this moment Sea-Elf is still 1.5 class below Truthear ZERO.

midtange overtone test; hmm not very technical at this moment(6th hour). Harmonic distortion could be easily detected.

If Sea-Elf ever catches up with Truthear ZERO’s technicalities in the future, I guess this will be a one of alternative option to audiences not liking “vocal-forward” styled tuning mainly harman variants. Like @Leonarfd pointed, I also would love to drop mid-bass @200hz ish of Sea elf few decibels down. Bravery has the same level of floor structure but that’s a BA’s woofer, the sound pressure impact of BA woofer vs dual 10mm LCP is night and day.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #71,389 of 99,293
graph (3).png
graph (4).png
graph (5).png
graph (6).png

These are much bassier than I expected them to be not gonna lie, and all this coming out of a single ba. On the other hand, treble seems to extend pretty poorly, so this could end up being a dark sounding set despite being a single BA. One thing though, there isn't a peak anywhere near 8K, what could be the reason for this?

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #71,390 of 99,293

These are much bassier than I expected them to be not gonna lie, and all this coming out of a single ba. On the other hand, treble seems to extend pretty poorly, so this could end up being a dark sounding set despite being a single BA. One thing though, there isn't a peak anywhere near 8K, what could be the reason for this?
The graph ain't good... From the graph i can expect a extremely thin sounding mid (late 3.3k peak with flat mid bass), basically no staging and 9k-10k peak will make all instrument go forward (worsen imaging), also the lack of dip in treble will make it have less extension than ever, well well.
Edit: just realize this is super review measure, it have a dip at 1khz which should have good soundstage (u12t), a dip at 6-8khz which will isolate the mid and treble, dip at 10khz and peak at 11khz should make vocal more peaky and more forward, in a good way (being more sharp and real).
Edit: after some more analyze, this could be a good detail oriented sound signature, still having bad extension on both end, and a unmature treble tho

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #71,391 of 99,293
graph (3).pnggraph (4).pnggraph (5).pnggraph (6).png

A single BA trying to pump out this bass could risk sounding extremely fluffy and that will only be accentuated by the thinner overlying midrange. I like the concept and design on paper but that graph doesn't fill me with hope.

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #71,392 of 99,293
So I really like the sound of the Sea-elf after burn-in, but the QC is indeed a problem as mentioned by @AmericanSpirit and others.

Thanks for the tip about cable polarity, I thought it didn't make a difference as long at both sides used the same polarity. But when I turned them around, one of the shields around the 2-pin end (with the L and R) came loose. It's not too much of a problem, as I could push it back and a drop of glue would probably solve it permanently if needed, but it's the first time that happened on a cable.

Also, after a second night I felt some discomfort in one ear. Not sure if it could be because of the resin used, as I have an extreme allergy for epoxy resins.

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #71,393 of 99,293
Also, after a second night I felt some discomfort in one ear. Not sure if it could be because of the resin used, as I have an extreme allergy for epoxy resins.
because they are made of dried sea-elf skin

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #71,394 of 99,293
Sea-Elf was a small fling and if everything goes as planned a new owner is getting her tonight😅

Going to take a break from the cheaper DD sets for a while, though i do really want the new Reecho SG-03s.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #71,395 of 99,293
Impressive analysis so fast, tbh I felt almost bad when reviewing it so much wrong. Specially the faceplate. And also agree very much on the fun bass being its main thing. One of the sets that had tightened the most up with burn in.

You have good ears sir 👌 I need a very long time to define what I hear.
How popular is Royksopp in Norway?

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #71,396 of 99,293
They have been quite popular 15-20 years ago, they have also won the Norwegian Music Awards 6 times.

Still it's mostly their hit songs that has had success playing on the radio over and over. Personally I have had all their albums on CD and listened to them from time to time.
How popular is Royksopp in Norway?

Jan 19, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #71,397 of 99,293
They have been quite popular 15-20 years ago, they have also won the Norwegian Music Awards 6 times.

Still it's mostly their hit songs that has had success playing on the radio over and over. Personally I have had all their albums on CD and listened to them from time to time.
Where I live most people probably don't know about them. Country music, classic rock, metal, and soul/hip hop are the most popular genres in my area. Most of my state is rural. I have found a few people who would have a more diversified interest. I have known about Royksopp for a while. As I have others who incorporate different music styles such as Little Dragon, Basement Jaxx, and Hania Rani. I probably own over 5000 cds.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #71,399 of 99,293
JVC HA-FW1800, part deux
link to part 1

In trying out a balanced cable there were a few problems:
1. All of my cables have some sort of ear hook memory; which makes wearing the FW1800 down impossible. Wearing over ear requires flipping around the L/R sides and feels awkward.
2. & then this happened 😭

JVC FW1800 broken.jpg

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #71,400 of 99,293
The pin should not snap off. I have used MMCX and conectors like this (RC Tx and alike) for a very long time and I cannot recall that I have ever seen this.
OK, there is always a first for everything...I hope you can get an exchange...

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back