The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #71,161 of 99,590
If crinacle review these, i don't think he will rank them higher than Oxygen/Hana which is B+ ... One iem that lack definition won't catch crin attention, at all (one iem that do too well at everything won't get his attention, that is what i meant)
To be fair, the guy listened to and ranked over a thousand IEMs. Not much can shock you if you have experienced all kinds of sound.

I personally waiting for something 3/5 to add to my ranking table, so that the average stays around 3/5, where it should be - average :dt880smile:

But still, some relatively affordable IEMs (I would put JD7 there, but I bet you are sick of hearing about this, so substitute with Wanker or Wu Zetian, Hexa, P5, or similar) can score 4/5 (Good) via direct A/B test against gatekeepers. At 4/5, they are genuinely “good”, not just barely acceptable, but good under scrutiny. There is not much “up” to go. Anything charging more than mid-fi has a lot to prove and very little space for making mistake.

I still remembered auditioning 64 Audio Fourte, being disappointed, and then tested a pair of audeze closed back for fun. That’s when I realised TOTL IEM might not be the best investment for sound quality :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #71,162 of 99,590
New Moondrop?
Moondrop Droplet, 1BA, USB-C in (DSP?)

1673782881879.png1673782894280.png

Cable seems non-detachable. But anyways, I do think there are probably gonna be compromises for a single BA transducer - namely:
1) Inadequate extension in sub-bass and/or higher treble - there's only so much a single BA can cover without crossovers/other drivers picking up the slack.
2) BA timbre.
3) Possibly weaker technicalities than a multi driver set at the same price.

So in essence, you are combining the weaknesses of a single driver and a BA setup in a single BA IEM, but I do hope it turns out good.

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #71,163 of 99,590
Ahh yes an industry that lost over $2trillion last year is always a good place to start to make money…
Thanks for the tip. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

But why go learn someplace else when we have you - the Gordon Gekko of Crypto right here on the forum. Since your advice was to use a profit of over $1500 to buy those IEMs from Ethereum holds which lost 67% of their value last year (in a protocol that is highly volatile & leveraged, doesn't account for zombie wallets, and also houses a majority of Defi which was responsible for over $700m of fraudulent loses - hence contagion concerns). I would truely appreciate you sharing your stake, IRR, pricing strategy and hedges so that we can all better ourselves to achieve these results in a prudent risk weighted manner. I am sure with such results/forecasts you would have a lot of followers on tradingview and can provide the relevant charting...

Otherwise it is nothing more than hot air & big talk with claimed market outperformance more than verging on the unbelievable and advice firmly planted in the irresponsible - which no actual qualified investment professional would provide. Ohh yeah I forgot - that's actually how Crypto got into this mess..
I don't mind crypto, but i don't advice anyone to join in. It messy and it need time to be stable, as well as being more authority / politic involved. But ouch the price drop last year hurt.
Oh..... and I was already thinking of dating Shakira (LOL) and had ordered a stax sr-x9000 and senn HE1, with all the money I was going to earn thanks to our humble new friend... nothing happens I will continue with my life!!!!!

I have absolutely no problem with TOLTs and their prices, and of course I am really glad that people can afford them and give their opinion about them, it contributes a lot to everyone and enriches and facilitates the decisions of others who value buying them. We can also know what is the midfi level compared to these flagships

Although all my interest today revolves around AÜR (I'm talking about IEM), what these guys have done is impressive and they set a new level for what for me is a tolt sound. I am looking forward to reading the opinions of the people in this thread who have them or have bought them
I would love to try the Senn He-1 super car, or is it? You can't drive them?
I guess it’s counter offer to Softears Volume, pricing around $275?

I googled Aroma Jam and reached to this website. Didn’t notice I was looking at aroma essence until very last moment after clicking “shop now”😂

Nvm….I found Aroma Audio’s JP website. It says the IEM(Neo) is 75k JPY , probably 500-600USD🤯 I guess that’s highest 2BA+1DD I ever saw in my life. But yes that’s how boutique high-end shops positioned them in focusing strategy for small amounts of rich nation’s target, understandable.

Actually Neo is 1BA+1DD for 75k JPY =500-600USD, and JAM 2BA+1DD for 135k JPY🤯🤯🤯🤯. roughly $1K USD.

wow!
Even that Elysian x Effect Audio‘s 4BA+1DD was like $1.2K USD🤷‍♂️

They are charing too much on intangible’s IMHO.
Look at the price then look at the driver set up look uninspired. Yeah we'll see if some madness actually buy them and review them

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #71,164 of 99,590
Oh..... and I was already thinking of dating Shakira (LOL) and had ordered a stax sr-x9000 and senn HE1, with all the money I was going to earn thanks to our humble new friend... nothing happens I will continue with my life!!!!!

I have absolutely no problem with TOLTs and their prices, and of course I am really glad that people can afford them and give their opinion about them, it contributes a lot to everyone and enriches and facilitates the decisions of others who value buying them. We can also know what is the midfi level compared to these flagships

Although all my interest today revolves around AÜR (I'm talking about IEM), what these guys have done is impressive and they set a new level for what for me is a tolt sound. I am looking forward to reading the opinions of the people in this thread who have them or have bought them
Sal-pique 🙄🙄🙄 hahaha

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #71,165 of 99,590
1 BA budget IEM is a new for Moondrop. So far, they only use BAs on their flagship models.

Sound wise, there is no real reason to go with such a limited driver configuration.

The only reason you'd even bother with a single BA is because the IEM housing can be insanely small which is excellent for comfort.

Quarks was already very small tho and that has a DD, I don't know why Moondrop went with single BA.

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #71,166 of 99,590
6 pairs of premium ear tip + storage box for $4.99USD is a very good buy.
Look at this tips, they are cheaper and also come with a storage box - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003730243656.html

6Pcs-Silicone-Ear-Tips-for-Sony-WF-1000XM4-Eartips-WF-1000XM3-True-Wireless-Earbuds-Tips-Earplugs.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Jan 15, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #71,167 of 99,590
Jan 15, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #71,168 of 99,590
This review is interesting. Thanks.
Especialy the comparison with JVC FW1800, that I own.

Wow how is the JVC FW1800 by the way?

A few of us are very interested in the DROP sale price for it (I think @mochill and @lgcubana have bought it! )

Is the upper mids area very hot? Some reviews and the graph seems to suggest so. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #71,169 of 99,590

These guys make very good IEMs, they are audio enthusiasts, like you and me, and our very own, @tgx78 and @RikudouGoku, they all deserve our support.

They have bought and heard various IEMs, now they make them by hand, use good quality components and tune them to the highest standard. Their earphones are not the lowest priced sets but may be some of the best value for money on the basis of sound/price. This is from my ears, I paid for mine set, and I am saving up for the next set.

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #71,170 of 99,590

A few of us are very interested in the DROP sale price for it (I think @mochill and @lgcubana have bought it! )

Is the upper mids area very hot? Some reviews and the graph seems to suggest so. Thanks for your input!
My FW1800 arrives sometime this week.

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #71,171 of 99,590

JVC FW1800 is a good iem.
In the warm side, yes, but I don't feel upper mids too hot, even on tracks, with electric guitar, like Still got the blues from Gary Moore.
I even changed the original cable for a MS series Cema cable, too add a better control on low and a touch of lower trebles.

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #71,173 of 99,590
I have been on the edge of trying to write a more full review for a while, the pressure has been to much so I haven't done it for years. Still did think I can give a not so important item my first go, English is second language so its probably some bad grammar and typos. Was not supposed to review the Sea-elf, still its a good practice IEM that very few people own. Here goes :relaxed:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hakugei-sea-elf.26295/reviews#review-30006

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #71,175 of 99,590
New Moondrop?
Moondrop Droplet, 1BA, USB-C in (DSP?)

If my Chinese is still right it appears droplet is a single fullrange BA it seems? Hmm another ED29689🤔 Sounds like 25-35USD offering.

nvm OCR technology works great thesedays.

•Water Drop adopts a specially customized full-frequency catheterless moving iron unit. Thanks to the characteristics of the moving iron unit, there are no additional openings in the whole cavity, which can greatly reduce external noise and get an immersive audio-visual experience.

So that catheterless part = no sound guide tube, I guess, could sound more natural then.

Only concern is the shape of the shell. I sometime use those bullet type sleeping buds and often ending up having those underneath my body when I wake up. Those shape could hurt😅

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back