The discovery thread!
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #63,961 of 98,042

TruthEar Zero Video​

The "crossover" is a bit hard to figure out - you get a reduction in SPL by adding two curves together. Would be very interesting to measure the DDs with controls after its release.
1658743395357.png

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #63,962 of 98,042
Yeah they have that valley of trap as well, but actually they are not that crap, they have good technicalities as great layering and imaging despite smooth trebles. It is one of the cheapest EST you can try, and have ok EST implementation on treble extension, but they lack of bite because of the valley of trap. They should boost 6khz properly and the dip is too much also. THe bass raise also good, but driver capability is just OK for me, thus lead the bass isn't great of midfi class. They need decent source to be shine, and pair it with pure silver cable does the job right to make it more sparkling and and bitey. I still can't recommended it per se, they are just what they are on their price. But if someone want to hear EST on budget, the mofasest trio is one of the cheapest that you can grab, and only you like smooth presentation.

FR by DynamicEars - Mofasest Trio.jpg
The Trio were a massive disappointment. The treble is exactly as you described, which was way too polite, and too much bass, and that is NOT my preference at all. I like a quick bass, that's clear and foreceful, along with edgy mids and a present and extended treble for picking up details. Not fake details, but a well implemented treble that provides that present energy and extension that's natural and fun. Too many IEM's, including the Trio and the Moondrops, dial back the treble and turn up the bass, thinking this is ideal, but it turns out to be a boring exercise that can't handle fast tracks, thrash or black metal, heavy rock and progressive metal, without some smearing from the target tuning. Plus the resolution was good, but not great for $600.00. The Trio had to go. Now the DUNU EST 112 is vastly superior at a very similar price range, and they handle rock tracks like a champ, and the resolution is clean and sharp. Then there's the much cheaper, but equally capable RE800 silver, and to a lesser extent, the Timeless. I only dock the Timeless, not on technicalities, but the tonality isn't the most natural. Nitpicking for $200.00, but the RE800 silver are tonality champs and quite resolving with natural timbre. The Trio were an expensive flop in my eyes, though some folks love them! Hey! If you tend to love the Moondrops tuning, you'll love the Mofasest Trio tuning.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #63,964 of 98,042
The "crossover" is a bit hard to figure out - you get a reduction in SPL by adding two curves together. Would be very interesting to measure the DDs with controls after its release.
1658743395357.png
it looks like the faint black line is the effect from the SPL. I might be wrong but the final graph says it all.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #63,965 of 98,042
it looks like the faint black line is the effect from the SPL. I might be wrong but the final graph says it all.
Yea, it is, I just wonder if the two SPL lines of the two dynamic drivers are for illustration only (you know, not real measurements) as when you add them together you can never really reduce the sound pressure level unless it is in antiphase which is not an option here.

This is done with WPD and the green line is the expected SPL if you add the red and blue lines together and the purple line is extracted from the database.

zero.png

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #63,967 of 98,042
Anyone has experience with the Hifiman Deva Pro? And how it fares against the more tried and true but also more expensive Sundara?
Maybe you should ask at the Deva Pro thread?
The Sundara has a bit more of bass and treble extension, it is slightly more visceral, dynamic and impactful.
The Deva Pro is a bit more focused in the mids.
They are really very close.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #63,968 of 98,042
Maybe you should ask at the Deva Pro thread?
The Sundara has a bit more of bass and treble extension, it is slightly more visceral, dynamic and impactful.
The Deva Pro is a bit more focused in the mids.
They are really very close.
Sounds like the Deva Pro may be more of my preference. Never been a fan of bright gear.

Also search engine isn't particularly helpful

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #63,969 of 98,042
Jul 26, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #63,971 of 98,042
Jul 26, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #63,972 of 98,042
Interesting. In some ways it sounds like the opposite of the Dioko which has stunning mids and detailed treble but lacks punch and weight on the bass end.
I probably should of asked for the Dioko too but I ended up being more interested in the the double DD since I like hybrids for their bass.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #63,975 of 98,042
Dioko is a bit lighter on the bass end than the others I have. The P1 Max, the S12 and the Hook-X all have noticeably heavier low ends. Dioko is generally flatter across the dynamic range.
possibly the rest trying to compensate the lack of punch and raise the bass a bit
but yeah crin love sub bass focus with lower mid bass which will accentuate lack of punch

1658888288546.png
graph(2).png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back