The discovery thread!
Jun 20, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #63,451 of 99,737
Gotta be able to make HiFiman and Audeze blink

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #63,452 of 99,737
Gotta be able to make HiFiman and Audeze blink

This is a good point. Hifimans planar drivers are well respected. We don't know what factories are producing these ones. It's an uphill battle for Moondrop in the overear planar market. I would much prefer they attempt a planar IEM with their VDSF target curve in mind.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #63,453 of 99,737
Vernus, Venus, Vulcan, Vortex.

Could we possibly get more phones with V in the name? Seems to be the in thing.
It's a way of getting people who already own one or two to complete the collection! Haha!

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #63,457 of 99,737
Hidizs MD4 graph with various switches. Listening impressions to follow later:
Hidizs MD4 Switches.jpg
Via IEC711 compliant coupler.

Tangzu Shimin Li graph:
Tangzu Shimin Li.jpg
Via IEC711 compliant coupler. The 8 kHz area is a coupler artefact peak.

They are very close to my own measurements.

Hidizs MD4.png

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #63,460 of 99,737
I found out a few things about Leisurely. These guys were OEM for fearless stuff. In fact these earphones are pretty much copies of fearless IEMs.

I was approached by them to do some reviews. Did a bit of digging and it seems this is a case of why make all these nice IEMs when we can brand our own and sell them to the world. You all know by now there is no such thing as copy rights in China.

Chinese make copies of everything including their own IEMs. From how I understand them. They have no one in house that actually tunes their earphones. So these are direct dupes of others designs. Feerless among others I am sure

In any case they could sound good and could be a good deal but. I had to pass on these got too much on my plate anyhow.

1655762405911.png

Dunu Vulkan. 6 driver hybrid.

What makes these interesting is that they are using a coaxial dual dynamic and each dynamic is specialized for the low end. I am trying to figure out if they do any of the mids as well. If any of you guys remember the DM-480 and that big bass those things had. Imagine adding 4 BAs and throwing all them drivers inside a nice spacious shell with an up to date Dunu tuning.

Sound is large and in charge. Big bold wide stage. Slightly warm for its mids but meshes very well with the coaxial dynamics. Bass end though. These have some rich booty shaking bass going on with a lovely full bodied sound. As bold as the name so is the sound.

Bass fans will dig this one and for modern music these things rock the house. Bass genres sound amazing through these. I am working on a review of this one but these are much better than you would imagine.

And yes they do require some time on the burn in station for them to come straight otherwise the mids sound as flat as a pancake. Lol. That was something else to hear.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #63,461 of 99,737
Received the Tin P1 Max today. Overall, smooth sounding without any evident peaks in the treble or upper-mids. Most "laid-back" sound among the planars I've tried so far. They are very comfortable as well, so Tin did their homework with the fit.

IMG_9537.jpg

Bass is kinda meh, lacking the slam or dynamic punch. Rock/metal sounds somewhat toned down in terms of energy. Not a big deal though when listening to calmer genres.

As an aside, I really like the stock cable. Excellent ergonomics and looks great!

IMG_9535.jpg

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #63,462 of 99,737
I found out a few things about Leisurely. These guys were OEM for fearless stuff. In fact these earphones are pretty much copies of fearless IEMs.

I was approached by them to do some reviews. Did a bit of digging and it seems this is a case of why make all these nice IEMs when we can brand our own and sell them to the world. You all know by now there is no such thing as copy rights in China.

Chinese make copies of everything including their own IEMs. From how I understand them. They have no one in house that actually tunes their earphones. So these are direct dupes of others designs. Feerless among others I am sure

In any case they could sound good and could be a good deal but. I had to pass on these got too much on my plate anyhow.

1655762405911.png

Dunu Vulkan. 6 driver hybrid.

What makes these interesting is that they are using a coaxial dual dynamic and each dynamic is specialized for the low end. I am trying to figure out if they do any of the mids as well. If any of you guys remember the DM-480 and that big bass those things had. Imagine adding 4 BAs and throwing all them drives inside a nice spacious shell with an up to date Dunu tuning.

Sound is large and in charge. Big bold wide stage. Slightly warm for its mids but meshes very well with the coaxial dynamics. Bass end though. These have some rich booty shaking bass going on with a lovely full bodied sound. As bold as the name so is the sound.

Bass fans will dig this one and for modern music these things rock the house. Bass genres sound amazing through these. I am working on a review of this one but these are much better than you would imagine.

And yes they do require some time on the burn in station for them to come straight otherwise the mids sound as flat as a pancake. Lol. That was something else to hear.

Yeah one DD does low and the other low mids. Then 2x BA for upper mids, and 2x BA supertweeters.

Yep, left mine burn for a good 150 hours!

On holidays and didn't bring VULKAN with me but home on Thursday and looking forward to spending time with them again, fantastic set.

Tempted to grab the T3 Plus as a 'welcome home' present to myself, a soft landing of sorts...

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #63,463 of 99,737
Ya that makes a lot of sense. I always take a good listen to IEMs fresh out of the box to hear what they are like. To be completely honest the out of box experience for the Vulkan was a bit cringe worthy.

I even sent a message to a buddy that was curious about them about how flat they sounded. When I say flat I mean monitor neutral flat for its mids then you had this big full bloom bass end. It was quite odd. I noticed the mids started to open up and got greater note weight as they got the burn in. Now they sound much more cohesive and that bass end is addictive.

They kinda remind me of a Dunus version of the Solaris. Similar type of sound signature and much much cheaper.

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #63,465 of 99,737
This is a good point. Hifimans planar drivers are well respected. We don't know what factories are producing these ones. It's an uphill battle for Moondrop in the overear planar market. I would much prefer they attempt a planar IEM with their VDSF target curve in mind.
So a boring planar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back