The discovery thread!
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #62,566 of 99,753
The OLA suffers from a double whammy of 2 design issues - short nozzle and unorthodox round shells.

Whereas the BLON BL-03 just has short nozzles, it doesn't cause discomfort. For the OLA, it can cause discomfort if the round shells press on the concha and tragus (See photo below) of the ears, cause it isn't small or ergonomic enough to fit inside the external ear cavity.

ear-anatomy.jpg
Photo of ear anatomy courtesy of https://www.audiologyresearch.org/ear-anatomy

But maybe the best advise is if you can try out a set to audition before purchase? Otherwise, using some longer nozzle eartips eg Spinfits can theoretically lift the shell away from the tragus/concha and relief pressure, so if you have some lying about, worth a try with the OLA.
It's because of the IEM shape that the nozzle fit becomes short

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #62,567 of 99,753
It's impo$$ible to rate every transducer on the market. We all need to make choices from the available information as we interpret it.

A graph is data, to be evaluated according to how reliable the graph-maker is and what you want to learn from it.

A review, written or video'd, is also data, to be evaluated or discounted according to your level of trust in the reviewer.

I've looked at graphs, read and (mostly waste of time) watched reviews, listened to assorted IEMs and headphones, jumped on a few hype trains and learned some lessons from all those experiences.

Your own taste is the only thing that matters in the end.

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #62,568 of 99,753
Anyone try the (S.E.N.F.E.R) D.T.6-MAX yet ?
With a DD , BA and PIE driver I am a little scared it has some huge sizzle. Comes with a modular cable might be worth it for just that lol!

C$ 63.18 50%OFF | **** **** MAX Knoweles 1BA 1DD Piezo Hybrid In Ear Earphone HIFI DJ Running Sports Earplug Earbuds 3.5\2.5\4.4MM Plug Cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLE7cxy
Nope! No huge sizzle at all. NONE! Just pure musicality! I'm about the only one that has them here for now, and all I can say is that they are a steal for the price! So, if you like, I can send you a PM on their sound signature, but I cannot comment anymore on any thread, since they are banned for public advertising.

Apr 20, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #62,569 of 99,753
Look what i've found!
8403e8e0d4249d102274aa0f740b6cf1.jpg

Scrolling through my local e shop and this kinda punch my eyes

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #62,572 of 99,753
Received the Moondrop Chu this afternoon and couldn't help but listening to them.

The short version: these are well worth the $20. Heck, I think the sound is competitive against anything under $50.

Now, a bit more details. The accessories are good. Spring tips alone make these a good value. More on the effect of Spring tips on the sound in a moment.

General build quality is good. The shell is built as well as the Aria shell. Heck, the design and venting mechanism of the inner-shell is very similar to Aria. The fixed cable has a thin strain relief but it is the most vulnerable part of the IEMs. The cable itself is good, fairly supple, doesn't kink easily, and easy to untangle. I do miss the chin-slider. The carrying case is flimsy though, offering zero protection.

IMG_8909.jpg

IMG_8910.jpg

Now, the sound is dependent upon the tips used. With the Spring tips, you get a smoothed-out presence region. This results in a calmer, somewhat diffused presentation. Not the most engaging but very inoffensive.

If you want to inject a bit more life into things, try changing tips. The Spinfit CP-100+ for example brought up lower-treble just enough to make things more engaging. This peak can become fatiguing in some tracks but your mileage may vary.

1650473968738.png

The general sound-signature is fairly neutral. The sub-bass boost isn't that noticeable when you're listening to them. The graphs actually show more bass emphasis than what I hear. I would have preferred a bit more mid-bass body as well. Snare hits sound anemic and lack the authority I expect them to have.

Soundstage is above-average, whereas imaging is strictly left and right. Then again, these are concessions you make for much higher-priced IEMs so I'm not gonna be too critical here.

I also compared them against Aria and I am quite confused as to why some label these as "Aria killers". Aria are superior in every single aspect barring lower-midrange or male vocal emphasis. I find the Aria too recessed there in comparison. But in all other aspects Aria showcase why they cost more.

But for the price you pay and the performance you get, I think Moondrop Chu are a great purchase for those seeking a neutral-ish tuning in the ultra-budget range.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #62,573 of 99,753
Apr 21, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #62,576 of 99,753
New campfire IEM:

Single planar driver, called the Supermoon

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/supermoon/

Supermoon.PNG

Think it is only for customs, no universal option I can see at the store page.

Weighing in at an eye-bleeding, kidney-selling price of $1500 USD.

Everyone from budget CHIFI to boutique brands like Campfire are trying to ride on the planar train this year!!!!

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #62,577 of 99,753
Apr 21, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #62,578 of 99,753
KBEAR INK
Looks like the Ink is a Diamond successor which uses the exact same shell. I took a peek at the graph found on the Amazon product page and it looks pretty darn similar to the Diamond FR graph.

You can find the Diamond FR graph on Precog and Super Review's squig.link, Crinacle strangely doesn't have the Diamond on his FR database which is a bit odd because the Diamond was a fairly popular IEM when it came out but was generally outclassed by the Starfield which came out at around the same time as the Diamond.

Not that impressive if I'm brutally honest, the Diamond has a generic v-shape signature with somewhat bloated bass and mids that are too recessed for my taste.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #62,579 of 99,753
Everyone from budget CHIFI to boutique brands like Campfire are trying to ride on the planar train this year!!!!
"Designed and assembled in Portland..."
I highly suspect the insides are from the same chifi manufacturing conglomerate as the ones from the Timeless, S12 etc. Which is not a bad thing. But that leaves a taste of paying around a 1350$ premium for a "Made in USA" badge and a nifty shell design.
I could be totally wrong of course but that was my first thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back