The discovery thread!
Dec 5, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #61,082 of 99,687
Not to defend Hiby, or any brand, yet this is actually a common problem with LiPo batteries, and can happen with just ANY brand :)

It's just that, well, better brands tend to source better batteries, which will have less chance of doing this :)

From my own experience, I got swollen batteries from just any brands, Samsung, LG, Xiaomi, Sony, etc. It's not a big deal, like this fellow said:
I thought Li-Ion were the swelling ones. Never had problems with LiPo

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #61,083 of 99,687
As long as you know what you’re getting into with the Z4, it can be a great deal :D
I was expected to get something.... not completely working, needing some tuning/moding with Z4. To my surprise it works the operations are easier for me than Fiio X1-II, and it is just great (some grain to the sound and BT interference is about it). Then the functional DAP - all outputs, two ESS9038, BT for the asking price - crazy! (The price includes again no promotional reviews)

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #61,084 of 99,687
I thought Li-Ion were the swelling ones. Never had problems with LiPo
Both swell up if treated poorly. In truth the LiPo is far more prone to swelling than any Li-Ion. The reason why a lot of people think Li-Ion is more prone to swelling is because the Li-Ion used to be far more common than LiPo in everyday applications. There are a variety of reasons for this.

Li-Ion
Lithium-Ion is cheaper, has a slightly higher capacity and almost always comes in cylindrical cells. They occasionally come in a more rectangular package but this is just many small cells put together in parallel. This is common in older phones and cameras. They are also common in power banks and for example the Xbox controller rechargeable battery packs also use these cells.

LiPo
Lithium Polymer or Lithium-Ion Polymer if we're being technically correct, is a improved version of the Li-Ion battery. Usually comes in silver packets and due to using a polymer in it's construction these are semi flexible. Although technically having a higher energy density, the capacity is lower than Li-Ion but it delivers higher power in return. It can be charged faster (depending on construction) and drained faster but this does have some risks and is not necessary in a lot of applications. It's lighter that Li-Ion and the flat square/rectangular shape makes it a lot easier to work with than the Li-Ion cylinders.

Yes a lot of LiPo batteries in tablets and phones are mislabeled as Li-Ion in the specs. If is's even a little flexible it can only be a LiPo.
Laptop Li-Ion battery packs are genuine Li-Ion which is obvious when you (carefully) open them and see the cells.

In the RC world the LiPo is far more common as the light weight + high power output is ideal for us. We don't care for run time that much. But make no mistake these are far more powerful than the LiPo's that ever will be in a smart phone and the require various safety precautions like a fire resistant LiPo bag to even be able to charge them anywhere but your own home. And even then I would still recommend using those precautions, the're there for a reason.

Lithium is a volatile metal that hates just about any other metal and responds by catching fire. Which can not be put out easily as this is a chemical fire. This is also the reason why I don't get why a LiFe battery is safer than LiPo as Fe or ferrum, more commonly known as iron, does not play well with Lithium.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #61,086 of 99,687
speaking of DAP's, this will be the last time I purchase something from Hiby. I got this R5 less than a year ago, and I went to use it tonight, and I picked it up and said "What?"

The battery pack blew up like an air bag, and pushed off the back plate. It won't go back on, because the battery pack can't release the air. Never had this happen with a battery or a DAP ever, and I've owned dozens. So for now, i'll be sticking with my Sony A55 and Fiio X3 III.

Looks like it is open enough to try to remove the battery. Maybe you can replace it yourself?

At any rate if I were you, I would try to remove the battery and store it in an ammo box. That is what I do with all batteries. Li-Ion or LiPo can ignite. You do not want to have the smallest fire anywhere in your home, right? Those battery fires are nasty and difficult to put out.

Cheers.

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #61,087 of 99,687
Both swell up if treated poorly. In truth the LiPo is far more prone to swelling than any Li-Ion. The reason why a lot of people think Li-Ion is more prone to swelling is because the Li-Ion used to be far more common than LiPo in everyday applications. There are a variety of reasons for this.

Li-Ion
Lithium-Ion is cheaper, has a slightly higher capacity and almost always comes in cylindrical cells. They occasionally come in a more rectangular package but this is just many small cells put together in parallel. This is common in older phones and cameras. They are also common in power banks and for example the Xbox controller rechargeable battery packs also use these cells.

LiPo
Lithium Polymer or Lithium-Ion Polymer if we're being technically correct, is a improved version of the Li-Ion battery. Usually comes in silver packets and due to using a polymer in it's construction these are semi flexible. Although technically having a higher energy density, the capacity is lower than Li-Ion but it delivers higher power in return. It can be charged faster (depending on construction) and drained faster but this does have some risks and is not necessary in a lot of applications. It's lighter that Li-Ion and the flat square/rectangular shape makes it a lot easier to work with than the Li-Ion cylinders.

Yes a lot of LiPo batteries in tablets and phones are mislabeled as Li-Ion in the specs. If is's even a little flexible it can only be a LiPo.
Laptop Li-Ion battery packs are genuine Li-Ion which is obvious when you (carefully) open them and see the cells.

In the RC world the LiPo is far more common as the light weight + high power output is ideal for us. We don't care for run time that much. But make no mistake these are far more powerful than the LiPo's that ever will be in a smart phone and the require various safety precautions like a fire resistant LiPo bag to even be able to charge them anywhere but your own home. And even then I would still recommend using those precautions, the're there for a reason.

Lithium is a volatile metal that hates just about any other metal and responds by catching fire. Which can not be put out easily as this is a chemical fire. This is also the reason why I don't get why a LiFe battery is safer than LiPo as Fe or ferrum, more commonly known as iron, does not play well with Lithium.
Being off-topic, polymer in Li-polymer is in electrolyte, not any packaging (that what perhaps creates most of the common misconceptions), and that is just more advanced (and a bit safer) new generation in the development of Li-ion batteries. Li-polymer battery technology can be used in solid cells or in more flexible packaging - can be hard to distinguish even upon disassembly.

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #61,088 of 99,687
Being off-topic, polymer in Li-polymer is in electrolyte, not any packaging (that what perhaps creates most of the common misconceptions), and that is just more advanced (and a bit safer) new generation in the development of Li-ion batteries. Li-polymer battery technology can be used in solid cells or in more flexible packaging - can be hard to distinguish even upon disassembly.
True, the polymer in LiPo has little to do with the case and is indicative of the polymer gel electrolyte composition and not the outer layer. That said, a solid LiPo batteries often still have a soft cell on the inside and the solid shell just serves as a protection layer as a soft cell is quite vulnerable by itself.
I've always prefer the hard shell as just one little rock can turn my RC cars into a fireball going 50+ Mph.

Solid lithium batteries or lithium-metal batteries like the Li-Mn (most common) don't have the same electrolyte as a LiPo, often replaced by lithium perchlorate or another lithium based electrolyte. These are also not rechargeable as the're of the half-cell design.

I'm waiting for the solid-state lithium-Ion (solid polymer electrolyte) batteries to finally be completed and available as that is not that far off, just some "bug-fixes" that need to be done. Plus the decade or so after until it becomes commercially viable... :sweat:

And I'm done with this battery stuff... Let get back to the audio gear we all love :ksc75smile:

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #61,089 of 99,687
Not to defend Hiby, or any brand, yet this is actually a common problem with LiPo batteries, and can happen with just ANY brand :)

It's just that, well, better brands tend to source better batteries, which will have less chance of doing this :)

From my own experience, I got swollen batteries from just any brands, Samsung, LG, Xiaomi, Sony, etc. It's not a big deal, like this fellow said:
Yep, Here's a useless Microsoft Surface Balloon
IMG_20211205_081604.jpg

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #61,091 of 99,687

Li-Ion

LiPo

Thanks for the info.

Just for general knowledge, for our Amps/DAPs that use Li-Ion or LiPo, for the purposes of prolonging battery life, what do you guys recommend?

Like avoid fast charging? Charge and top up whenever possible? Or wait till it fully depletes? Don't charge to 100%?

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #61,092 of 99,687
Received the Tin T3 Plus and they have a pretty graph. The design and build is solid as well. Can't say much about how it sounds since I've just started listening to them. However, I believe that this is the bassiest Tin Hifi IEM till date.

Will post a comparison vs Aria soon.

img_2_1638779366437.jpg
img_1_1638779357445.jpg

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #61,093 of 99,687
Thanks for the info.

Just for general knowledge, for our Amps/DAPs that use Li-Ion or LiPo, for the purposes of prolonging battery life, what do you guys recommend?

Like avoid fast charging? Charge and top up whenever possible? Or wait till it fully depletes? Don't charge to 100%?
For me its acubattery pro app and charge with PC mostly (not fast charging but do use it when i am in a hurry ) and charge it between 20%-80% as advised by @Andykong for the Cayin N6ii, (sometimes i do miss and i charge it from zero but never go for full charge atleast after I came to know how to charge in the cayin thread)
I do the same with my phone too 😁

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #61,095 of 99,687
Thanks for the info.

Avoid fast charging --> SURE!
Charge and top up whenever possible --> Ew, please don't do that, the batteries don't like being 100% full all the time (that's why Sony's DAPs have the option to never charge above 90%)
Or wait till it fully depletes --> EWWW, even worse than keeping them topped up at 100%
Don't charge to 100% --> What Sony is doing, but in reality, from time to time, you need to charge fully to refresh the batteries. And this is very inconvenient if the device doesn't natively support.

More info about Lithium batteries (or other types of batteries) --> https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

For me, here are what I do with my devices:
  • Use them normally, don't quickly discharge them (playing games / streaming on mobile data / etc.)
  • Keep them cool, avoid hot places like tables with direct sunlight
  • Never use quick charge, even stock quick chargers
  • Never let the batteries fall to 0% (except from time to time to refresh them)
Well, that's just for me :) After all, it's your device, do as you wish :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back