The discovery thread!
Oct 28, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #60,691 of 99,747
Earphones have evolved quite a bit since even a few years back. Something like this Yanyin Aladdin about 3 years ago would have been in the $300-$400 range in price point.

There are numerous new Chinese brands that have driven the earphone market to the point where you will be shocked what you can get for even $100 range now a days for sound. The sheer variety of types of dynamics, hybrids even a cheap tribrids using 3 types of different drivers. Even your traditional single dynamics IEMs nowadays all use some type of coating that promises better sonics. Beryllium coated, titanium coated, Carbon/ graphene, composite based, Biofilm ect ect. Too many varieties to cover in one post. In fact it is not uncommon to come into this thread and see the folks here post about 2-5 brand new earphones they have seen in the market daily.

Todays mid fi level earphones was yesterdays top of the line. Todays budget level stuff sound more closer to mid fi level of earphone from several years back. Huge competition from so many manufacturers compete to make one better than the competition. This is good for the folks that enjoy this hobby but I have to admit sometimes it is very difficult to keep up with so many earphones and with new companies that pop up all the time.
Couldn't agree with you more on the last bit. It's easy to get lost in names when so many competitors rose up over the years. I don't even know if I recognise some of the older brands that I used to try like Fiio or Noble or Campfire because over the time I noticed how much I missed out on.

And if anything I'm even more shocked there are smartphone dongles that has DACs that sounds extremely good for the asking price nowadays.

I'm especially tempted to give Hidizs dongles a go like the S3 Pro or S9 which have a freakin' ESS Sabre DAC...and they're super affordable.

Times have changed for sure since the last few years I visited here...

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #60,692 of 99,747
^
I'm a fan of the Xduoo X20 in this price range. It lacks a touch screen interface and volume knob, but has a dedicated Line/Digital Coax output port next to the 3.5mm phone out and 2.5mm balanced out (300mW). No streaming, but it does everything else quite well.

The HiBy R3 Pro Sabre is also quite nice, as is the Shanling M2X.
+1 for the X20. Nice neutral sound and healthy output (especially balanced).

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #60,694 of 99,747
Couldn't agree with you more on the last bit. It's easy to get lost in names when so many competitors rose up over the years. I don't even know if I recognise some of the older brands that I used to try like Fiio or Noble or Campfire because over the time I noticed how much I missed out on.

And if anything I'm even more shocked there are smartphone dongles that has DACs that sounds extremely good for the asking price nowadays.

I'm especially tempted to give Hidizs dongles a go like the S3 Pro or S9 which have a freakin' ESS Sabre DAC...and they're super affordable.

Times have changed for sure since the last few years I visited here...

Actually the Yanyin Aladdin has a very smooth tuning, pure silk.

And speaking of dongles, if you want to avoid Sabre DACs, I recommend the Tempotec Sonata E44, it has the best balanced output under $100, in my humble opinion.

Yanyin Aladdin.png

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #60,695 of 99,747
Actually the Yanyin Aladdin has a very smooth tuning, pure silk.

And speaking of dongles, if you want to avoid Sabre DACs, I recommend the Tempotec Sonata E44, it has the best balanced output under $100, in my humble opinion.

Yanyin Aladdin.png
Oh I don't hate ESS Sabre DACs tbh. I find them a joy to listen to, though I haven't heard any DAP/DAC amps that muck it up yet, unless you want to let me know if there's any poor examples.

As for me, I found something that might be considered a steal in a "pre-owned but still in mint condition" area locally...

Here's a little hint for what's probably an upgrade from my old Fiio Q1 DAC.

IMG-20211028-WA0030.jpg

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #60,696 of 99,747
I'm a big fan of Sabre DACs, I prefer them over the classic AKMs. After the AKM factory fire, AKM DACs are almost gone and they will have to make new ones. It will be very interesting when they get back in the field and there will be a rush to create new devices with their chips. In the meantime, during all this boom time for Sabre, I hope they are using those profits to improve the 9038, in all its versions, because the tables will surely turn.
In between, Tempotec has polished its relationship with the DUAL CS43131 and finally hit the nail on the head with the E44. And even though I'm a big Sabre fan and have a few devices with all kinds of Sabre chips, I'm stuck on the E44 and keep buying balanced cables to take advantage of its sound.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #60,697 of 99,747
I'm a big fan of Sabre DACs, I prefer them over the classic AKMs. After the AKM factory fire, AKM DACs are almost gone and they will have to make new ones. It will be very interesting when they get back in the field and there will be a rush to create new devices with their chips. In the meantime, during all this boom time for Sabre, I hope they are using those profits to improve the 9038, in all its versions, because the tables will surely turn.
In between, Tempotec has polished its relationship with the DUAL CS43131 and finally hit the nail on the head with the E44. And even though I'm a big Sabre fan and have a few devices with all kinds of Sabre chips, I'm stuck on the E44 and keep buying balanced cables to take advantage of its sound.
That's really awesome.

As for dual DACs, I know the amount of DACs are just half the story, as implementation matters. So, I will withhold my judgment on dual DAC DAPs/DACs until I listened them before considering a buy.

For now though, I want to hear what this little BurrBrown PC1793-filled beauty has to offer....:ksc75smile:

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #60,698 of 99,747
That's really awesome.

As for dual DACs, I know the amount of DACs are just half the story, as implementation matters. So, I will withhold my judgment on dual DAC DAPs/DACs until I listened them before considering a buy.

For now though, I want to hear what this little BurrBrown PC1793-filled beauty has to offer....:ksc75smile:
Then enjoy it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back