The discovery thread!
Oct 21, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #60,601 of 99,753
I have sat and compared the KZ DQ6 and the KZ ZEX side by side, 3.5mm from the HiBy R5, and A/B'd them. ZEX with Stock Cable, and L Spiral Dot's. KZ DQ6 with KZ upgrade cable and L Spiral Dot's.
Both sound good to my ears for very little money. I find the ZEX is a safer tuning and I prefer the DQ6's upper mids and treble. The ZEX treble rolls of a bit early and is less forward in the stage. The DQ6 has a more spacious presentation and a tad more general attack. The three DDs have more edge and oomph than the DD and Magnetostat of the ZEX. Bass is well presented on both and well forward in the V-shape. The DQ6 has slightly better placed mids and upper mids. The ZEX will probably please everyone it has a really toneful nice sound and the bass perhaps slightly more forwards, but the DQ6 to my ears is way more spacious and gives a better positional sense of instruments as on Tears Inside by Ornette Coleman, same on his Focus on Sanity. The DQ6 may divide more with it's more exciting presentation but it does 'edge' well.
The main difference is the staging, imaging, spaciousness, separation, which is more three dimensional in the DQ6, but both are good listens, and do KZ proud. So much for so little. You can't go wrong with either.
Totally agree with you on the DQ6. We hear it very similarly, so I'm confident it's an accurate representation of the sound.

Oct 21, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #60,602 of 99,753
Oct 21, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #60,603 of 99,753
I don't recommend hiby because I think they lack something, such as: the musical. I once have R8 for a month, R8 is great on power and soundstage, but it is short on something musical, many people may say that R8 is referance product, but I think that to be referance doesn't mean not to be musical.

And I tried all products last weekend of hiby, the rs6 is a lot better than prototype, but the others, be careful.:darthsmile:
The Hiby R5 is very musical. It also has a ton of tone control. It's not reference though. Far from it.

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #60,604 of 99,753

KB Ear Aurora / TKZK Wave / BGVP DH5 - Unboxing & First Look​

Hey guys, just received a few new IEMs not long ago. Here are my first impressions:

KB Ear Aurora - $169usd, 1DD. Warm Harman, amazing bass quantity and quality, smooth. Reminds me of the BLON BL-03, but much better in terms of technicalities. If you are looking for a huge BL03 upgrade, maybe this might be it?

Aurora review done! Review link here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kbear-aurora.25392/review/27119/

TKZK Wave - $39usd, 1DD+1BA. neutral to neutral bright tuning, pretty lean bass and mids, treble can be a bit bright. Reminds me of the HM, but with metallic BA timbre and the usual BA/hybrid characteristics.

TKZK Wave review done! Review link here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tkzk-wave.25480/review/27146/

BGVP DH5 - $85usd, 1DD+4BA. A pretty analogue U-shaped sounding IEM, albeit haunted with its 5kHz treble peak... which might be an issue to some. To my ears, I do not find it much of an issue as I find it to add a bit of excitement to an otherwise smooth sounding treble.

BGVP DH5 review done! Review link here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bgvp-dh5.25524/review/27175/

Frequency Response graphs for all 3 IEMs are shown below. If you have any questions regarding any of these IEMs, feel free to let me know and I'll get back to you asap.

Full reviews for all 3 IEMs will be out soon. Stay tuned.

20211022_080533.jpg
BGVP DH5.jpegKB Ear Aurora.jpegTKZK Wave.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #60,605 of 99,753

KB Ear Aurora / TKZK Wave / BGVP DH5 - Unboxing & First Look

Hey guys, just received a few new IEMs not long ago. Here are my first impressions:

KB Ear Aurora - $169usd, 1DD. Warm Harman, amazing bass quantity and quality, smooth. Reminds me of the BLON BL-03, but much better in terms of technicalities. If you are looking for a huge BL03 upgrade, maybe this might be it?

TKZK Wave - $39usd, 1DD+1BA. neutral to neutral bright tuning, pretty lean bass and mids, treble can be a bit bright. Reminds me of the HM, but with metallic BA timbre and the usual BA/hybrid characteristics.

BGVP DH5 - $85usd, 1DD+4BA. A pretty analogue U-shaped sounding IEM, albeit haunted with its 5kHz treble peak... which might be an issue to some. To my ears, I do not find it much of an issue as I find it to add a bit of excitement to an otherwise smooth sounding treble.

Frequency Response graphs for all 3 IEMs are shown below. If you have any questions regarding any of these IEMs, feel free to let me know and I'll get back to you asap.

Is TKZK a subbrand of TinHiFi?

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #60,606 of 99,753
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #60,607 of 99,753
What's the price? Is the wheel as smooth as the classic ipods?
Forgot to tag it's a photo via Facebook. It's mentioned it has price tag of 299$ but no sure if it's true. It looks to have Bluetooth and some sort software like the Hiby link. Also has FPGA. The design is a refined M1s.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #60,608 of 99,753
The Hiby R5 is very musical. It also has a ton of tone control. It's not reference though. Far from it.
R5 is once a good choice, now the price is lower, If someone ask me about low price player, I will say a second-hand R5 or ZX300a will be the answer, but the charge port of walkman is a big shortage for zx300a.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #60,609 of 99,753

KB Ear Aurora / TKZK Wave / BGVP DH5 - Unboxing & First Look​

20211022_080533.jpg
BGVP DH5.jpegKB Ear Aurora.jpegTKZK Wave.jpeg
I am waiting for another version of Aurora, I have changed my starlight into the version of stable wood.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #60,610 of 99,753
I am waiting for another version of Aurora, I have changed my starlight into the version of stable wood.
What is the other version of Aurora? With a different shell?

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #60,611 of 99,753
Also agree completely. I've had my R5 for ages and like it a lot. I had two iBasso DX 160's, A FiiO M9, FiiO M6 and HiBy R6 and wasn't fully happy with any of them them until I got the R5. I can adjust the sound flavour with the MSEB, it has plenty of power to run all my earphones from it's 3.5mm or 4.4mm, and a good form factor + it is really inexpensive. Yep there is better sound out there but not for £200 squids. Along with my Sony Xperia 5ii phone I have kit I am happy with.

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #60,614 of 99,753
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #60,615 of 99,753

Users who are viewing this thread

Back