The discovery thread!
Sep 5, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #59,986 of 99,339
Hello to all.

Here is my humble opinion about the Ikko OH1s.

I hope you like it.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ikko-oh1s.25362/reviews#review-26712

Ikko OH1s 19_resize.jpg

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #59,987 of 99,339
Moondrop announced KATO, as an Upgrade to the KXXS.
FB_IMG_1630844113084.jpg
Argh. I can't keep up with the pace of single DD releases. This needs to go in a head-to-head with the FD3 and maybe the YuanLi (just been seeing some hype for that one recently).

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #59,988 of 99,339
Argh. I can't keep up with the pace of single DD releases. This needs to go in a head-to-head with the FD3 and maybe the YuanLi (just been seeing some hype for that one recently).
For certain, so many single DD releases. I have a Hana2021 on order. The Kata is a must preorder for me.

After some time, I will do and post a comparison of the Starfield, the AQ0, the FAN, the Hana 2021, and the Kata.

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #59,990 of 99,339
Great review, however Reading the comparisons I disagree on good performances of fearless s8f: too much treble oriented and in some cases a Little bit pungent and annoying for my ears.
Ummm... If you're referring to its lower-treble being peaky, I mentioned that S8F is shoutier and more aggressive in the comparison. 😐 Otherwise, S8F is a dam good IEM for people who are not sensitive to lower-treble and was hugely successful, particularly because of its price to performance value. Nevertheless, everyone has different preferences, tastes and sensitivities - one of the reasons that makes this hobby so interesting! I'm guessing you dig the DM8 more?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #59,991 of 99,339
Great review, however Reading the comparisons I disagree on good performances of fearless s8f: too much treble oriented and in some cases a Little bit pungent and annoying for my ears.
Audio is an interesting hobby in that different people can have absolutely different experiences with exactly the same audio chains and music! :) For me, the S8F continue to be my favorite IEMs out of the ~30 that I own. Are they perfect? No! But they are my personal favorites.

@twister6 review makes me intrigued about the DM8.

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #59,992 of 99,339
Audio is an interesting hobby in that different people can have absolutely different experiences with exactly the same audio chains and music! :) For me, the S8F continue to be my favorite IEMs out of the ~30 that I own. Are they perfect? No! But they are my personal favorites.

@twister6 review makes me intrigued about the DM8.

I think I should say thanks because it was my review and not Alex's (@twister6). Lol! 😉

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #59,997 of 99,339
The CCA NRA are decent. Nothing groundbreaking or even a price range killer. I'd say they are slightly better than the DQ6 in sound quality, but are really held back by the narrow stage. The imaging is really good, but you can tell it tries really hard to shine, but are limited by the in your head stage experience. Bass is really resolving, details most certainly pop, and the timbre is one of the best EST timbre's I've experienced (yes, more natural than the Mofasest Trio, EST112, and the Tape Pro). It's even better than the piezo NX7 mk III. Technically and soundwise. it's very similar to the NX7 mk III. Very similar traits with similar stage, but not as power hungry as the NX7. If you don't mind not having and out of the head experience, with wide stereo separation, and enjoy a really musical IEM, then you can't go wrong spending $25.00 on these. Airy with nice treble that's never sibilant or peaky, quality bass, slightly recessed vocals, and excellent detail retrieval. They sit right in between my DQ6 and NX7 mk III.

I'll be using them as a beater, due to price and the sweet timbre and air, but it won't be a giant killer or even top of class in it's price range. But hey...and EST for $25? Why not?

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #59,998 of 99,339
Was looking for a warmer version of the NM2+ (I really like the sound btw), the NA2+ could be a good choice but wanted to try something more different and I don't like the shape of the NF audio shells. So here comes the NiceHCK topguy.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-06 at 12.01.18.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-06 at 12.02.04.jpeg

Comes with a copper cable (likely made by XINHS, lol) and adaptors. Some Acuostune tips (or their clones). Fit my ears like gloves (unlike the NM2+)
Sound is very coherent, resolution is definitely lower than the NM2+ but less "exhausting" however lacks a bit of excitement and air. Overall still a rather good set, just a little polite and forgiving. Will do some burn-in, tip rolling, cable rolling later.
Here is the graph:
Topguy FR.PNG
Is that bass roll-off? hmm...

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #59,999 of 99,339
Ummm... If you're referring to its lower-treble being peaky, I mentioned that S8F is shoutier and more aggressive in the comparison. 😐 Otherwise, S8F is a dam good IEM for people who are not sensitive to lower-treble and was hugely successful, particularly because of its price to performance value. Nevertheless, everyone has different preferences, tastes and sensitivities - one of the reasons that makes this hobby so interesting! I'm guessing you dig the DM8 more?
I would like ti know if this over treble feeling Is subjective

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #60,000 of 99,339
I would like ti know if this over treble feeling Is subjective
When it comes to treble or upper-midrange sensitivity and/or liking, it is always subjective as per the individual. In general, individual preferences and liking will always be subjective. It all depends on what you like and how you like your gear to sound. What you might consider bright, someone else might consider sparkly and exciting. Same goes for upper-midrange ear/pinna gain. What one person might consider a shouty upper-midrange, could be strong, forward instrument definition for someone else. We all like different things and that is why there are so many brands in the world, with a variety of IEMs with different sound signatures, targeting different tastes and preferences. If everyone liked the exact same thing, it'd be such a boring world and companies would have no scope for experimentation or come up with new things. In fact, these many companies wouldn't even exist! 😱Haha.

Objectively, when it comes to talking about tuning or specific frequency regions with a reference in mind, it depends on the target curve you select as reference; Diffuse Field, Etymotic, Harman, etc, and how these IEMs translate compared to them. Of course, you don't necessarily have to judge or like IEMs solely on their ability to hit a target curve since fun tuned IEMs can be dam amazing and hell lotta fun too. Even though as an audio engineer, I really love and enjoy reference tuned headphones and IEMs, I quite dig and enjoy well done fun signatures too. Anyway, talking about S8F's 4k-10kHz response (what you're probably finding peaky) with target curves in reference, it is quite within the Harman 2019 IEM target, similarish to a tiny bit above the Diffuse Field target ( particularly 8-10kHz) and definitely north of neutral compared to Etymotic target. Now, a person liking one target curve over the other is again going to be a subjective preference but that doesn't diminish objectivity they bring to the table or the research, high value and importance of these target curves in general.

Nevertheless, you're not alone in finding the S8F a little bright and intense. A lot of people do. I reviewed the Fearless S8F (link) 2 years back and stated all of that but also how fun, interesting and intriguing a listen it is, not just for me personally but a lot of people.

My 2 cents... Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back