The discovery thread!
Sep 3, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #59,926 of 98,039
Screenshot_20210903-125534.png

So playing around with Geek Wold GK10, its problem being the weak subbass and intruding midbass that make the IEMs sound slow there. After applying the EQ, wow the drivers are very good. My setting is:
  • Peaking Filter, 149Hz, Gain -6dB, Q 0.4
  • Low Shelf Filter, 46Hz, Gain 13dB, Q 0.7
Try it and have fun!

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #59,927 of 98,039

So playing around with Geek Wold GK10, its problem being the weak subbass and intruding midbass that make the IEMs sound slow there. After applying the EQ, wow the drivers are very good. My setting is:
Try it and have fun!
OOTB i got much better results by increasing output gain rather then trying to eq, they are power hungry, once properly fed the drivers shine without eq.
Still burning them in and adjusting my brain, but so far so very good, love them.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #59,928 of 98,039
Screenshot_20210903-125534.png
Try it and have fun!
That'll improve on the midbass bloat, but isn't your subbass boost too much? Do remember to reduce your pre gain by - 13db or you'll get clipping distortion with bassy tunes.

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #59,929 of 98,039
OOTB i got much better results increasing output gain rather then trying to eq, they are power hungry, once properly fed the drivers shine without eq.
Not my experience.

I was trying them on m11pro on 50-55% gain of balanced out (which was a bit too loud). And results were not great - it actually was even more fatiguing in the lover-mids to mid-bass regions.
25 hours of burn-in, additional venting, tip rolling - non of this changed the situation.

Thats why I think that tuning > technicalities. Which I believe the case with Mele (if we choose the last 2 hot cakes for comparison).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #59,930 of 98,039
That'll improve on the midbass bloat, but isn't your subbass boost too much? Do remember to reduce your pre gain by - 13db or you'll get clipping distortion with bassy tunes.
DX300 automatically reduces the gain when we use EQ. As the graph of GK10 indicates same level of loudness at 20Hz and 1kHz, I thought raising the subbass to 10dB is within boundary (as the EQ shows, only +10dB at 20Hz).
So far the sound is less warm for me, clearer and no distortion detected. A lot of surprisingly fast subbass rumble for the price here, and I can even push the drivers further.

Sep 3, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #59,931 of 98,039
Not my experience.

I was trying them on m11pro on 50-55% gain of balanced out (which was a bit too loud). And results were not great - it actually was even more fatiguing in the lover-mids to mid-bass regions.
25 hours of burn-in, additional venting, tip rolling - non of this changed the situation.

Thats why I think that tuning > technicalities. Which I believe the case with Mele (if we choose the last 2 hot cakes for comparison).
my apologies for have not been detailed enough, i'm using my axon7 mini phone with viper4android, silver/copper cable, wide bore silicone tips (freely included in penon's package) and the output gain i've increased is viper's gain control filter.
i'm too unexperienced to say if that's perfect, but i can say that now it's way better, any bloat and weakness seems to have disappeared to me.
maybe, as fiio has bought viper technology your m11pro has it and you can try it...

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #59,933 of 98,039
my apologies for have not been detailed enough, i'm using my axon7 mini phone with viper4android, silver/copper cable, wide bore silicone tips (freely included in penon's package) and the output gain i've increased is viper's gain control filter.
i'm too unexperienced to say if that's perfect, but i can say that now it's way better, any bloat and weakness seems to have disappeared to me.
maybe, as fiio has bought viper technology your m11pro has it and you can try it...
Oh, okay, I can see your point now.
So you take my apologies as well, I never actually tried any viper filters (not a big fan of EQ) so may have missed the context a bit :)
I've seen it pre-installed on the device, so maybe I'll give it a try this time.

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #59,934 of 98,039
Viper's USP is to make everything sound good. That's the proprietary drivers that the OG team developed. So as long as it sounds good it means it works for you. V4A is arguably the most easy and effective mod in Android. Glad you are enjoying your GK10. :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #59,935 of 98,039
Moondrop KATO. Not much info yet, my bet is pure beryllium DDs, $499 or $599
FB_IMG_1630670785933.jpg
This is the info they provided. No mention of beryllium ….

KATO is equipped with a new independently developed U.T.L super-linear dynamic driver, which includes a more efficient composite magnetic circuit of inner and outer magnets, and a linear air circulation structure, the third-generation DLC composite diaphragm, and a larger copper inner-cavity.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #59,936 of 98,039

KATO is equipped with a new independently developed U.T.L super-linear dynamic driver, which includes a more efficient composite magnetic circuit of inner and outer magnets, and a linear air circulation structure, the third-generation DLC composite diaphragm, and a larger copper inner-cavity.
DLC diaphragm, hmm I guess around $150

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #59,937 of 98,039

I think I have found my IEM to splurge my meagre savings. I like how Moondrop treats their IEMs and would be happy to gamble with them even if it costs over $250. Although, I expect them to be in same price bracket as Kanas series because it is a successor to it.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #59,939 of 98,039
Viper's USP is to make everything sound good. That's the proprietary drivers that the OG team developed. So as long as it sounds good it means it works for you. V4A is arguably the most easy and effective mod in Android. Glad you are enjoying your GK10. :)
even with only few hours of listening i'm already in love, they sound so different from zax, a totally superior level in every aspect.
i'll wait to burn them in and adjust my brain and ears to them then will post some newbie impression

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #59,940 of 98,039

I think I have found my IEM to splurge my meagre savings. I like how Moondrop treats their IEMs and would be happy to gamble with them even if it costs over $250. Although, I expect them to be in same price bracket as Kanas series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back