The discovery thread!
Aug 31, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #59,821 of 98,025
Who will be the first to release a water cooled DAP? I believe it would be more convenient and portable if you could mount the tank on your belt or backpack and the cooling metal block is smaller!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001156451353.html
This design is not a water cooler,
without any heat dissipation/radiator,

it doesn't cool your device,
is just takes a longer time for your device to heat up, not to cooling it down.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #59,822 of 98,025
This design is not a water cooler,
without any heat dissipation/radiator,

it doesn't cool your device,
is just takes a longer time for your device to heat up, not to cooling it down.
is it just like Cooling Pad for laptop?
But cooling pad for laptop usually push air into panel with slats underneath the laptop and into the copper pipes.
I don't think the DAP have something similar.

Unless it works like Xiaomi BlackShark cooler with thermal electronic cooler. Not sure how it works but the metal plate attached to the phone become cool and absorb the excess heat from the phone. It might work for DAP with metal casing

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #59,823 of 98,025
is it just like Cooling Pad for laptop?
But cooling pad for laptop usually push air into panel with slats underneath the laptop and into the copper pipes.
I don't think the DAP have something similar.

Unless it works like Xiaomi BlackShark cooler with thermal electronic cooler. Not sure how it works but the metal plate attached to the phone become cool and absorb the excess heat from the phone. It might work for DAP with metal casing
The heat must go somewhere else,
if you put the metal plate on phone it will absorb the heat from the phone,
but if the heat doesn't go anywhere the phone will also heats up,
a fan would help to move the heat,

Now if you want to cool your DAP,
just don't use a thick case,
don't charge while using the DAP,
use a slow charger,
look the amp rating, 5V/1A is enough,
keep it under 90% charged,
no need to full charged it,

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #59,824 of 98,025
use a slow charger,
look the amp rating, 5V/1A is enough,
keep it under 90% charged,
no need to full charged it,
Umm, nope. No need.
Look at your device or look up the specs of the battery. Say its a 3000mAh battery and allows a 2C (2xcapacity) charge, you can safely charge it at 6 amps, which your USB will have a very hard time to accomplish. Maximum USB charge is 2.4 A anyway.

Charging to 100% is fine. Li Ion batteries do not suffer from any memory effect whatsoever. Disconnect when 100% is reached ASAP is important though. Li Ion do not like to be 'topped' off.

None of the above prevents a bad battery to go haywire - so stay in close proximity while charging and have a shovel of sand handy somewhere :) its the only way to extinguish a Li Ion fire.

Cheers.

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #59,825 of 98,025
The Legend is the latest flagship IEM from Penon. It has a 13 BA driver configuration with 3 switches. After using it for a while, I am confident to say it lives up to its name. The bass is very tight and punchy but never overpowering. Next, the midrange is easily one of the best in the market. Vocals are forward and clear. There is a captivating showing. The treble has terrific extension with nice sparkle and abundant amount of air. The soundstage is holographic with excellent width and depth. The price tag of 1299 USD is extremely reasonable considering it is superior to IEMs that cost more expensive than it. Highly recommended.

PS: To those who doubt me, get a better source first before judging IEMs. :)

photo_2021-08-31_12-02-52.jpg

Seems like a lot to spend on chifi IEMs without any tech to offer that isn't already provided from knowles and sonion. Would these go toe-to-toe with Beyerdynamics T1 for $300 hundred less? Focal Clear and HD800s are up in this price range. How much more holography do we get when pairing them to Penon's $800 cable? Like do I start to see Princess Leia or what?

VACI.gif

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #59,826 of 98,025
Seems like a lot to spend on chifi IEMs without any tech to offer that isn't already provided from knowles and sonion. Would these go toe-to-toe with Beyerdynamics T1 for $300 hundred less? Focal Clear and HD800s are up in this price range. How much more holography do we get when pairing them to Penon's $800 cable? Like do I start to see Princess Leia or what?

VACI.gif
IEMs, not headphones.

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #59,827 of 98,025
Umm, nope. No need.
Look at your device or look up the specs of the battery. Say its a 3000mAh battery and allows a 2C (2xcapacity) charge, you can safely charge it at 6 amps, which your USB will have a very hard time to accomplish. Maximum USB charge is 2.4 A anyway.

Charging to 100% is fine. Li Ion batteries do not suffer from any memory effect whatsoever. Disconnect when 100% is reached ASAP is important though. Li Ion do not like to be 'topped' off.

None of the above prevents a bad battery to go haywire - so stay in close proximity while charging and have a shovel of sand handy somewhere :) its the only way to extinguish a Li Ion fire.

Cheers.
To have a long life cycle for your battery, it's always a good idea not fully charge / discharge it. It's even better if you could have balanced cycle such as between 75%-25% (it's even better to keep more balanced but it's not that of a useful scenario to apply for a daily usage).

It's also better idea to charge the battery slowly than faster. It's also decreasing its capacity faster over time. Plus, heat is another issue while charging it fast. Batteries don't like very high or low temperatures.

So, it's mostly about extending your battery life.

For more information you can read the article:
https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #59,828 of 98,025
Aug 31, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #59,829 of 98,025
How about vs MESK MKII?
Speaking of full-bodied imaging, MKII comes into my mind.
Vocals are more forward and treble is more open on the Legend. Mest MKII has the advantage for bass due to the DD.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #59,830 of 98,025
Welcome to the TOTL club. When you get to TOTL, you can't go back. No wonder you are selling your other IEMs now. My recommendation is spot-on. Just having 1 TOTL IEM is better than owning many different mid-fi IEMs. Quality > Quantity. Some folks will disagree with me but it is what it is. 😄
TOTL mantra ad nauseam…in Discovery thread!?! Importunate and inopportune

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #59,832 of 98,025
I'm disturbed by the lack of discussion of 7Hz Timeless.

Planar IEM madness. Any bets as to if this is an upgrade over the GL20 that was discontinued / out-of-stock as soon as hype began to unfold? Construction certainly looks like a big notch up.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #59,833 of 98,025
I'm disturbed by the lack of discussion of 7Hz Timeless.

They haven't shipped yet. Got a praise by HBB, but thats about it. I'm keeping an eye, but spent 1k in 4 days, better chill out 😂

Aug 31, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #59,834 of 98,025
I placed the orders for 7Hz Timeless, TRI I3 Pro and CCA NRA. Normally from "Depart country of origin" to my door is 15-17 days, so I expect mid-September for the delivery. That too long because my country shares the border with China, but for some reason the items almost always need to be forwarded to Singapore first, then to the south, then to my house in the north. That's 3 different airplanes!

If the customs department decides to tax them, then another 2 weeks added. Hopefully not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back