The discovery thread!
Jul 28, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #58,516 of 99,348
Audio hobby is based on science and engineering.

Audio engineering may be based on science and evidence but the audio hobby is not and I'm afraid, never will be. I'm a man of evidence by profession but have experienced subjective changes with cables that, even if placebo, enhance my enjoyment. We should all have the freedom of subjectivity and preference provided its not touted as objective truth. Hence the disclaimer before the post as a warning.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #58,517 of 99,348
Audio engineering may be based on science and evidence but the audio hobby is not and I'm afraid, never will be. I'm a man of evidence by profession but have experienced subjective changes with cables that, even if placebo, enhance my enjoyment. We should all have the freedom of subjectivity and preference provided its not touted as objective truth. Hence the disclaimer before the post as a warning.
Absolutely, a very valid point about "placebo".

Then $10 placebo and $1000 placebo should work the same, unless departing with extra money enhances someone's feelings :)

Not surprisingly, the recepients of this extra money do work hard to try to make people believe that it should enhance someone's reputation :) :)

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #58,518 of 99,348
Screenshot_20210728-195102019 (1).jpg

Nothing Ear 1,
Invisible buds?

Why design something good looking if you can just make it disappear~~~

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #58,519 of 99,348
Screenshot_20210728-195102019 (1).jpg

Nothing Ear 1,
Invisible buds?

Why design something good looking if you can just make it disappear~~~
Because it will look like Airpods if it's visible 🤣🤣🤣 And this is from Carl Pei's company so let's hope it's OnePlus of TWS IEMs and not another exorbitantly priced mediocre.

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #58,520 of 99,348
I hope that's the case, given how unfortunately sensitive I am to such things. I'm really hoping that 10kHz spike in the graph is just some anomaly in the measurement, because it might try to murder my ears. As the old proverb goes: the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Speculating based on other people's experiences is fun and all, but you really need to experience it yourself to truly understand.
The 9-10kHz spike is definitely there, but that's a good thing. It's what gives it that detailed resolution. In that octave, a spike doesn't have near the power (SPL) of a lower Fq though. I'm actually treble sensitive too, and can't stand spikes in the 4-6kHz range. GK10 doesn't sound harsh at all though. I'm working on a custom EQ setting (have one for all my IEMs) and it's staying pretty FLAT actually. The GK10 is just amazing in this price range.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #58,521 of 99,348
The treble looks a bit exaggerated for my liking. I definitely won't buy it.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #58,522 of 99,348
The 9-10kHz spike is definitely there, but that's a good thing. It's what gives it that detailed resolution. In that octave, a spike doesn't have near the power (SPL) of a lower Fq though. I'm actually treble sensitive too, and can't stand spikes in the 4-6kHz range. GK10 doesn't sound harsh at all though. I'm working on a custom EQ setting (have one for all my IEMs) and it's staying pretty FLAT actually. The GK10 is just amazing in this price range.
Agreed,
hey, I also sensitive to 4k-6k spikes,
but the odd thing is my current iem have a huuuge~~~ 6k spike,
but it doesn't bother me at all,

I wonder if spikes behave differently on a different driver configuration?

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #58,524 of 99,348
Agreed,
hey, I also sensitive to 4k-6k spikes,
but the odd thing is my current iem have a huuuge~~~ 6k spike,
but it doesn't bother me at all,

I wonder if spikes behave differently on a different driver configuration?

I think so. I cant stand fd5 treble very well but with the bigger spikes on land's ests im more than fine!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #58,525 of 99,348
Absolutely, each driver can have a different level of approach. Impedance can affect it too at different Fq's. Its one reason i love ribbon tweeters in my speaker builds, they have a lot of air and sparkle without any harshness, generally (if well implemented with the x/o).

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #58,526 of 99,348
Seems like Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews is actually getting a set of IEMs made to his specs. He mentions a price point of around $50 and a FR related to the BLON BL03. I'm curious to see what they end up priced at and where all you can get them once he can make them available for purchase. I wanted to link the post, but mobile is being unkind to my attempts, so you'll have to settle for a screen cap:
Screenshot_20210728-050449_YouTube.jpg

They do look quite pretty and fairly compact overall. If he actually manages to price them at $50, I'll buy a set.
this reviewer is very strange, it is impossible to understand in the video what the headphones look like, he would have hung a camera in the far corner of the apartment. He says some kind of garbage, I personally do not understand what he mumbles. Hmm, I also do reviews where you can see every detail of the earphone, apparently I need to shoot from the Nokia 3310 camera, sorry, facepalm

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #58,527 of 99,348
this reviewer is very strange, it is impossible to understand in the video what the headphones look like, he would have hung a camera in the far corner of the apartment. He says some kind of garbage, I personally do not understand what he mumbles. Hmm, I also do reviews where you can see every detail of the earphone, apparently I need to shoot from the Nokia 3310 camera, sorry, facepalm

I understand your point, but thats a bit rude.

He does his unboxes/closer looks on his Tweeter account, generaly.

You don't have to like someone or agree with an opinion/review. I can't fully agree everytime with every reviwer. But you don't need to be rude. Specially to a colegue...

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #58,528 of 99,348
I understand your point, but thats a bit rude.

He does his unboxes/closer looks on his Tweeter account, generaly.

You don't have to like someone or agree with an opinion/review. I can't fully agree everytime with every reviwer. But you don't need to be rude. Specially to a colegue...
I didn't want to sound rude, it's just that when I want to watch the review, I get nothing from it: neither a distinct appearance nor a generalized answer in sound. :frowning2:

TWITTER a little blocked in my country haha :)
(Can watch post, cant watch a video)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #58,530 of 99,348
I didn't want to sound rude, it's just that when I want to watch the review, I get nothing from it: neither a distinct appearance nor a generalized answer in sound. :frowning2:

TWITTER a little blocked in my country haha :)
(Can watch post, cant watch a video)
You don't need twitter in your life,
trust me, you gain nothing with twitter,
but you will lose a lot,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back