The discovery thread!
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #57,871 of 98,024
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #57,872 of 98,024
I also have NM2+ and agree with headsmacking piecing edgy sharp treble, it’s not tolerable for me as well. But I do read some hyped review of NM2+, of which I’ve noticed a trend that the reviwer is over 50yo and from other preferred IEMs I could tell his/her has possibly impaired hearing on high frequencies, so to that group NM2+ would sound very neutral. Lofty’s case might also following that course.
That's an interesting analysis. I'm much younger than 50, I don't have any hearing problem, and I don't find nm2+ not tolerable or with any sharp treble. Am I the only one who has positive opinion about it? I don't think so.

So, why don't we enjoy this hobby rather than calling those positive reviews as an 'hype', judging the reviewers age, and assuming that there's impaired hearing?

Every person has their own signature preferences. I like slightly bright sounding IEMs so it's pretty normal that I like such bright sounding IEMs such as Heart Mirror, Nm2+...

For the record, I've spent over 400 hours since I've purchased nm2+. After switching from cable to cable I made sure that y..y.. 4 Core 5N UPOCC Single Crystal Copper cable is the best choice for it.

20210714_211502.jpg

The link foe those who want to check the cable:
Https://a.aliexpress.com/_v459hf

Everytime, I see an opinion about it, I put them back on my ears just to understand and double check. I've been spending some time with them today as the subject came out and I don't hear any sharp treble. No sibilance or anything piercing my ear and I can definitely make sure that the volume is not very low and I can increase it to the acceptable levels which won't damage my hearing ability.

Very beautiful transitions. Plenty of details are given without eliminating the bass. You wouldn't expect that bass from such a detailed single DD. It has very good timbre as well. Having a bright v shape signature, it's definitely not for everyone but I cam make sure that it's very good choice for myself. Happy to keep them in my collection.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #57,873 of 98,024
For the record, I've spent over 400 hours since I've purchased nm2+. After switching from cable to cable I made sure that y..y.. 4 Core 5N UPOCC Single Crystal Copper cable is the best choice for it.

20210714_211502.jpg

The link foe those who want to check the cable:
Https://a.aliexpress.com/_v459hf

Everytime, I see an opinion about it, I put them back on my ears just to understand and double check. I've been spending some time with them today as the subject came out and I don't hear any sharp treble. No sibilance or anything piercing my ear and I can definitely make sure that the volume is not very low and I can increase it to the acceptable levels which won't damage my hearing ability.

Very beautiful transitions. Plenty of details are given without eliminating the bass. You wouldn't expect that bass from such a detailed single DD. It has very good timbre as well. Having a bright v shape signature, it's definitely not for everyone but I cam make sure that it's very good choice for myself. Happy to keep them in my collection.
I really liked the NM2+, though it did take me some time to adapt to the upper mids. I am in my thirties. I have the NA2+ coming in for review, I don’t expect it to be substantially different based on others opinions but I am looking forward to it.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #57,874 of 98,024
I really liked the NM2+, though it did take me some time to adapt to the upper mids. I am in my thirties. I have the NA2+ coming in for review, I don’t expect it to be substantially different based on others opinions but I am looking forward to it.
Nm2+ is cold sounding + analytical. That amount of details are tiring. If you pair it with a warm sounding cable, it balances it, and tame it. I didn't mention that it has also very good soundstage expanding very well in 3 dimensions. Imaging is also very good.

What I'd criticize about it is the bass. Definitely not for bass heads or for those looking for a strong slams in the drums. Nm2+ is like 'Hey. Here's is the main menu, quite detailed sound from high end, but I can also add enough level of bass as an addition for free!'.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #57,876 of 98,024
That's an interesting analysis. I'm much younger than 50, I don't have any hearing problem, and I don't find nm2+ not tolerable or with any sharp treble. Am I the only one who has positive opinion about it? I don't think so.

So, why don't we enjoy this hobby rather than calling those positive reviews as an 'hype', judging the reviewers age, and assuming that there's impaired hearing?

Every person has their own signature preferences. I like slightly bright sounding IEMs so it's pretty normal that I like such bright sounding IEMs such as Heart Mirror, Nm2+...
I don't doubt that there's a fairly large number of people who have no issues enjoying the NM2+ and other similar IEMs. My hearing is just stupid sensitive in the mids and treble region. I mean, I can hear the sound of a cockroach crawling across carpet. So when it comes down to it, if I can enjoy a set of IEMs without needing to EQ them or modify them, it means that their treble is quite safe and/or incredibly smooth in its harmonic tuning. What is quite funny, though, is that one of my friends has the Kinera NanNa 2.0 and is a bit of a treble-head, and he absolutely loves that set, but I don't find it to be particularly harsh or piercing. Just goes to show what a well-balanced set it is.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #57,879 of 98,024
I don't doubt that there's a fairly large number of people who have no issues enjoying the NM2+ and other similar IEMs. My hearing is just stupid sensitive in the mids and treble region. I mean, I can hear the sound of a cockroach crawling across carpet. So when it comes down to it, if I can enjoy a set of IEMs without needing to EQ them or modify them, it means that their treble is quite safe and/or incredibly smooth in its harmonic tuning. What is quite funny, though, is that one of my friends has the Kinera NanNa 2.0 and is a bit of a treble-head, and he absolutely loves that set, but I don't find it to be particularly harsh or piercing. Just goes to show what a well-balanced set it is.
I have some IEMs in my collection that definitely need EQ. For example, Audio Technica has a peak at 10khz that leads to sibilance and cymbals are piercing my ear and I had to tame -9.6db with EQ.

I like bright sounding IEMs but Bqeyz Summer is great example that I have limits. The spike at 8khz is leading slight sibilance and if the recording is poor, it's not listenable. So, I had to EQ it as well.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #57,881 of 98,024
Schiit just came out with their new hardware EQ, the Lokius at $300. I just ordered the silver.

I used to have the Loki but gave it to a friend, because it wasn’t balanced and my chain was being upgraded to balanced at the time. While I don’t ever EQ, maybe more out of laziness and streamlining my listening experiences or whatever, but it’ll be cool to add this hardware to my desktop rig for the heck of it.

I always liked the Loki’s EQ somehow more than what I was able to achieve in software. No idea why. Maybe the hardware based EQ is better somehow, or maybe the Schiit engineers just designed bands that pushed each part of the range just right.

In any case, I’m looking forward to playing around with it, and it’s nice that it has balanced ports to keep my whole chain balanced. The old, smaller Loki wasn’t balanced.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #57,882 of 98,024
Just FYI the Geek Wold GK10 is now up on HifiGo for preordering. No duties/taxes. Came to about $67 CAD all-in for me.

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #57,885 of 98,024
It makes sense when the price is less than a day's worth of work for anyone on this continent. Hell, if it turns out to sound half-way decent it will be an easy Christmas gift for loads of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back