The discovery thread!
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #57,136 of 99,800
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #57,137 of 99,800
Update on the Rose QT-9 MK2: Penon PAC480 mixed cable and Final E tips seem to bring about the best synergy. The PAC480 helps add some additional body to the BA mids and highs, producing an extremely coherent sound for a hybrid. It is now exceptionally clean and balanced in presentation, notwithstanding the potent bass slam. An absolutely excellent all-rounder.

Review in progress.
DSC00806.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #57,138 of 99,800
Jun 19, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #57,140 of 99,800
Update on the Rose QT-9 MK2: Penon PAC480 mixed cable and Final E tips seem to bring about the best synergy. The PAC480 helps add some additional body to the BA mids and highs, producing an extremely coherent sound for a hybrid. It is now exceptionally clean and balanced in presentation, notwithstanding the potent bass slam. An absolutely excellent all-rounder.

Review in progress.
Actually while Final E yields the cleanest sound and tightest bass, the ePro Horns do produce a richer and more atmospheric feel which better suits some genres.

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #57,141 of 99,800
Actually while Final E yields the cleanest sound and tightest bass, the ePro Horns do produce a richer and more atmospheric feel which better suits some genres.
If you've got them, try a set of the Sony Triple Comfort tips. I've found they do wonderful things without ruining staging.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #57,142 of 99,800
Received the Questyle M12 today. At $140, it is the cheapest DAC/Amp Questyle has ever produced. Usually their products start ~$800 so this is an accessible way to get into their lineup.

First impressions:
  • Very lightweight build, deceivingly small. It's as big as a AA battery.
  • Doesn't get much warm even after prolonged use.
  • Gain levels selected automatically by the IEM impedance. Not the best decision since some IEMs/headphones need high current at low resistance. No way to switch between gain levels externally.
  • MQA decoding is supported, Tidal app does the job in Exclusive Mode.
  • Wish it came with a type-C to lightning cable.
  • About enough power to drive most IEMs comfortably. Final E5000 is a no-go, however, same applies to Tin P1. Both of these will get loud but won't be properly driven. Sennheiser HD650, however, was driven better than I expected. Not bad!
  • Not for powering planars, runs out of current.
  • Overall presentation is mostly balanced/neutral. There's slight edginess in the treble region but not as much as other DAC/Amp dongles in this price range e.g. Fiio BTR5/Hidizs S9 Pro. Mids are the highlight, vocals come across really well. Bass articulation is also good. Staging is not that wide, but stage depth is good. Not the most resolving, Lotoo PAW S1 takes that cake (though costs a bit more). Imaging is good but won't do center-imaging as good as higher-tier stuff.

Overall, the sound is different from the typical dongles you find in this price bracket. Most of those other dongles sound exactly the same with minor differences in power and edgy treble. The M12 sounds more refined, though falls short of higher tier products like the L&P W2.

IMG_0291.jpg
IMG_0289.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #57,143 of 99,800
Received the Questyle M12 today. At $140, it is the cheapest DAC/Amp Questyle has ever produced. Usually their products start ~$800 so this is an accessible way to get into their lineup.

First impressions:
  • Very lightweight build, deceivingly small. It's as big as a AA battery.
  • Doesn't get much warm even after prolonged use.
  • Gain levels selected automatically by the IEM impedance. Not the best decision since some IEMs/headphones need high current at low resistance. No way to switch between gain levels externally.
  • MQA decoding is supported, Tidal app does the job in Exclusive Mode.
  • Wish it came with a type-C to lightning cable.
  • About enough power to drive most IEMs comfortably. Final E5000 is a no-go, however, same applies to Tin P1. Both of these will get loud but won't be properly driven. Sennheiser HD650, however, was driven better than I expected. Not bad!
  • Not for powering planars, runs out of current.
  • Overall presentation is mostly balanced/neutral. There's slight edginess in the treble region but not as much as other DAC/Amp dongles in this price range e.g. Fiio BTR5/Hidizs S9 Pro. Mids are the highlight, vocals come across really well. Bass articulation is also good. Staging is not that wide, but stage depth is good. Not the most resolving, Lotoo PAW S1 takes that cake (though costs a bit more). Imaging is good but won't do center-imaging as good as higher-tier stuff.

Overall, the sound is different from the typical dongles you find in this price bracket. Most of those other dongles sound exactly the same with minor differences in power and edgy treble. The M12 sounds more refined, though falls short of higher tier products like the L&P W2.

IMG_0291.jpgIMG_0289.jpgIMG_0292.jpg

Nice review, thanks.

Could u trick this dongle to output at max voltage? Eg some of us use a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter on dongles with variable gain levels (eg tempotec sonata HD Pro), so that it outputs at the highest setting all the time.

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #57,145 of 99,800
Is the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro still the best budget DAC/amp dongle or is there something new by now? The 3.5mm wired audio off new phones is getting progressively worse, so I'm looking to pick up a dongle during the summer sale.
Here is the great recent thread, the Head-Fi at its very best:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/40-...ctive-impressions.958216/page-9#post-16416459

It is hard to add to what is there other than Sonata HD pro is one of the most neutral representations, one of the lowest noise, and my subjective opinion is that to "improve" from there would involve colouring, processing, etc that should match your taste and importantly your transducer(s).

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #57,146 of 99,800
Could u trick this dongle to output at max voltage?
No. Questyle's detection technique is different to LG. LG used to detect load once and then fix the line out level. Questyle does that dynamically as in it adjusts the line out level every time there's a change in the load.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #57,147 of 99,800
i had a small audio meet a few days ago, finally got a chance to try some of IEMs and headphones that i haven't had the chance to try before (like the Moondrop S8, Tanchjim Oxygen, HZ mirror, Xuanerji X01)..all of them are nice sounding and i like.

But the most interesting thing i found was when i compared my original Kanas (not the pro version) to the KXXS, using the same cable and eartips.. they both sound eerily similar.. well almost the same even, with only some slight difference on the treble which is probably because of the nozzle shape/size difference.

Not exactly a new gear discovery, but a more personal interesting info that i would like to share with anyone's interested

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #57,148 of 99,800
Here is the great recent thread, the Head-Fi at its very best:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/40-...ctive-impressions.958216/page-9#post-16416459

It is hard to add to what is there other than Sonata HD pro is one of the most neutral representations, one of the lowest noise, and my subjective opinion is that to "improve" from there would involve colouring, processing, etc that should match your taste and importantly your transducer(s).
It's clear to me that Tempotec's own BHD is better than the Sonata Pro, if you don't mind using a balanced connection.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #57,149 of 99,800
It's clear to me that Tempotec's own BHD is better than the Sonata Pro, if you don't mind using a balanced connection.
I wish they would release a version with a Pentaconn connector.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #57,150 of 99,800
Just in case this might to be a useful comment for someone:

After about two years in the Chi-Fi game, it's time for me to move on. I've fallen hard for the Etymotic ER4SR. I find them to be fully satisfying and vastly better than anything else I've tried. For me, this is love. Wishing you all find your true love, too! :wink::beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back