The discovery thread!
Jun 6, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #56,911 of 99,619
Jun 6, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #56,912 of 99,619
Might have been mentioned in earlier posts, if so sry for repetition.

Dethonray launchs his first pair of IEM this month, the Tender, a planar IEM 😉

MSRP: Unknown to me at present time

Official thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dethonray-tender-i-earphones.957542/#post-16394619

D0823796-CFA1-4A85-9AFA-D71157E39A0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #56,913 of 99,619
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #56,915 of 99,619
I did partake of the Sabbat E16 and can confirm from the sound they are indeed the Magnetostat and w/o the issues of the Tape as far as tuning or bad cable choice. Spiral Dot SF for the win it seems. They sound great and are good on volume which is nice on all devices and they sound driven well not just having volume headroom. They EQ well if needed. The only issue would be with tips if you are trying for the most seal the dynamic part can get a bit choked and be thicker and less articulate than the treble driver hurting the cohesion. Maybe burn in can tighten up the dynamic driver some but no need using the SF tips as far as I'm concerned but I would still say you can do better than the stock silicones which are smaller bore. I can revisit after run in but they require no more tweaking than any other earphone so tips and a little EQ to taste will dial them in. They look good, fit good, sound great, and work well with no issues as far as BT connection/stability. A good buy at $99.
IMG_1653.JPGIMG_1656.JPG

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #56,916 of 99,619
Jun 6, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #56,918 of 99,619
QKZ VK4 is hyped for it "tonality" but it also famed for QC problem, unit variance, poor build quality, and the need of aftercare (tip rolling, cable replacement).
Unless you dare to buy like 3~5 unit and test each of one hoping you get the one with the right tonality, don't bother.

Get CCA CSN which have much better build and so far it seems people here like it.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #56,919 of 99,619
QKZ VK4 is hyped for it "tonality" but it also famed for QC problem, unit variance, poor build quality, and the need of aftercare (tip rolling, cable replacement).
Unless you dare to buy like 3~5 unit and test each of one hoping you get the one with the right tonality, don't bother.

Get CCA CSN which have much better build and so far it seems people here like it.
VK4 are very tip-dependent. None of the ones that came with it were big enough for a seal. With some other silicones (large from KBear KS1) they're pretty good.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #56,920 of 99,619
I might have just listened to potential endgame...

While quite old at ~2 years since its release, this is the first Sennheiser product I've ever listened to (review unit). I think these go on sale for less than 200 USD already what with being replaced by the IE300? Not that sure and I tried to find said deal but no luck.

Only obvious cons I can find are the use of proprietary connectors and the "cheap" feeling cable. I've contacted a local modder already and they'll be able to make an MMCX-to-IE Pro adapter for 16 USD.

And my god are these comfortable!

IMG20210607125643.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #56,921 of 99,619
Thank you. I do have the less can be more ideology while it comes to driver count. However, often I get pleasantly surprised by many driver counts also, like T800, VE 6X-C, EVE20, etc. So I think ultimately it boils down to the tuning capability. However, I still steer clear away from KZ, TRN, etc who just seem to never shy away from jamming a lot BA drivers. Also, I do not go sub-$50 as the SQ never satisfies me there. I bought a BL-03, sold it 5 days later, and I was done.

The bass driver of A3H+ is quite bold, mind you. It's got a voluminous bass, frontal and attacking, midbass has slightly more emphasis than subbass. But surprisingly, the stage is clean and airy despite that. That's what made me go WOW! It's my fun iem.

While I was using T800, I was using its stock tip, and Final Audio E-Type. I know wide bore tips like W01 or sednaearfit or new bee silicone might have attenuated the bass a bit, however, I never really felt the need to attenuate the bass, hence did not change into wide bore. The soundstage was open enough.

BTW, what is this nozzle-tube resonance? Never heard this. Can you elaborate a bit?
Wise ideology mate, you know that steroids aren't permitted in fair competition, I feel sometimes the overuse of drivers' numbers is to compensate for a lack of tuning talent. Especially for KZ, TRN, CCA chifi companies. I do find BL03 very competent even if i rarely listen to them.

Oh, ok, A3H+ is a fun IEM....wonder if its better than the overpriced Campfire Polaris which is a fun V shape signature with thunderous bass impact, nice for electronic, make you go wow....but sometime yuck too because of upper mids and treble being agressive and bit shouty.

lol, im french so sometimes I struggle to explain more intricate acoustic phenomenon, but you know DD and BA don't propagate sound waves the same way, DD acting more like human vocal cord while BA being more like bird syrinx I guess. So, BA bass and overall sound tend to open more with wide bore ear tips because the tips nozzle doesn't compress all these BA shooting sound at same time. Im not sure to understand fully why, but for multi-BA you will never add bass with big long ear tips like you can do for DD. About T800, another ''mod'' i really need to do is changing the Knowles damping filters...it cna be bought on ALI for very cheap. It can be usefull for those that find upper mids to fowards.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #56,922 of 99,619
Wise ideology mate, you know that steroids aren't permitted in fair competition, I feel sometimes the overuse of drivers' numbers is to compensate for a lack of tuning talent. Especially for KZ, TRN, CCA chifi companies. I do find BL03 very competent even if i rarely listen to them.

Oh, ok, A3H+ is a fun IEM....wonder if its better than the overpriced Campfire Polaris which is a fun V shape signature with thunderous bass impact, nice for electronic, make you go wow....but sometime yuck too because of upper mids and treble being agressive and bit shouty.

lol, im french so sometimes I struggle to explain more intricate acoustic phenomenon, but you know DD and BA don't propagate sound waves the same way, DD acting more like human vocal cord while BA being more like bird syrinx I guess. So, BA bass and overall sound tend to open more with wide bore ear tips because the tips nozzle doesn't compress all these BA shooting sound at same time. Im not sure to understand fully why, but for multi-BA you will never add bass with big long ear tips like you can do for DD. About T800, another ''mod'' i really need to do is changing the Knowles damping filters...it cna be bought on ALI for very cheap. It can be usefull for those that find upper mids to fowards.
Even though A3H+ is an outstanding iem, over time I have found out that the price differences do hold true, and there truly is no giant killer. Polaris is almost 2.5 times the A3H+. I have not heard the Polaris, but I am almost sure that the details and separation will be slightly improved on Polaris. But yeah, tonality-wise A3H+ might be more pleasing, as even though the notes do have a hint of sharpness, but they are not for sure piercing.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #56,924 of 99,619
Even though A3H+ is an outstanding iem, over time I have found out that the price differences do hold true, and there truly is no giant killer. Polaris is almost 2.5 times the A3H+. I have not heard the Polaris, but I am almost sure that the details and separation will be slightly improved on Polaris. But yeah, tonality-wise A3H+ might be more pleasing, as even though the notes do have a hint of sharpness, but they are not for sure piercing.
DO you know if their any A3H+ graph available anywhere? Or it seem their numerous version of this model, custom is PRO, older version is A3H...

The Polaris was fatiguing to my ears and im far from being treble sensitive. They are kinda bad IEM in fact, treble isnt very controlled and too fowards. But V2 might be better...anyway, Campfire isnt a brand im really curious about even if i do have heard the Andromeda 2020 edition...which is a slightly improved FIIO FH9 from what i remember.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #56,925 of 99,619
How do Tin Hifi fix the P2? hmmm, maybe it wasnt expensive enough?

1623075415330.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back