The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #56,162 of 98,039
And I've arbitrarily decided the low end of "mid-fi" starts at $1,000....with these prices rocketing up, I have no clue what the ceiling is; actually I do: there is none, hahahahaha.
I know you said "arbitrarily" so probably tongue in cheek, but I'd argue the Thieaudio tribrids (Monarch, Clairvoyance), Kinara Nanna, AAWxTCA 4+2, etc, as at least mid-fi, I guess I'm saying $700? It's a silly distinction though.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #56,163 of 98,039
No logic involved.

This is just for break in / cable make sound better if whatever believers.

It is impossible to argue one way or the other without getting sucked in.

Just let it go. Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers
I understand, just found it strange that someone wants oppinion about the item he has and does not even bother to listen to it, and then decides that something sounds better than before.
This hobby is full of subjects that are not better to be touched with 10 feet pole 😄

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #56,164 of 98,039
I understand, just found it strange that someone wants oppinion about the item he has and does not even bother to listen to it, and then decides that something sounds better than before.
This hobby is full of subjects that are not better to be touched with 10 feet pole 😄
Well, Mr. Welshman, what usually happens in this thread is that someone will announce a new IEM. Then there is a period of discussion, and some of them order the IEM and eventually a review is published in the Head Gear forum. There may be further discussion if the IEM is crap or great in some way.
In the instance of the PMV PP, One post announced the IEM, another poster ordered one and a third poster indicated that he had one and it was pretty good. That was it. No review or further discussion. Unusual.
Well, its a planar and I do not have one.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #56,165 of 98,039
Well, Mr. Welshman, what usually happens in this thread is that someone will announce a new IEM. Then there is a period of discussion, and some of them order the IEM and eventually a review is published in the Head Gear forum. There may be further discussion if the IEM is crap or great in some way.
In the instance of the PMV PP, One post announced the IEM, another poster ordered one and a third poster indicated that he had one and it was pretty good. That was it. No review or further discussion. Unusual.
There's a thread for it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pmv-pp-planar-magic.956940/

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #56,166 of 98,039
Thank You, G777. That thread explains a lot. I was just looking in the wrong place. At 73, I am happy to know where I am most of the time.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #56,167 of 98,039
Mine should arrive in few days. I will write a mini review here.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #56,168 of 98,039
And I've arbitrarily decided the low end of "mid-fi" starts at $1,000....with these prices rocketing up, I have no clue what the ceiling is; actually I do: there is none, hahahahaha.
the bird, hi-fi,
odin, mid-fi,
mest, lo-fi

under $50, peanut-fi ?

Apr 25, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #56,169 of 98,039
1619395606368.png

TOTL in the Peanut fi realm. KB EAR KS1 https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kb-ear-ks1.25011/reviews#review-25751 These sound pretty dang good, not bad for the cost of a cheaper dinner plate.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #56,172 of 98,039
I do not worry about breakin. I do it for 100 to 150 hours, 24/7 as a natural course of my audio hobby. It makes a difference. If you can not hear it you need to upgrade your amp/DAC.
LOL! Can you please advice what amp/dac I should upgrade to from the 30+ ones I've already got in the range $20-1.500 to take advantage of this fairy dust you're talking about?

This is a very infected topic, as always when hard facts are inconclusive and the discussion turns subjective from the start. Personally I've never heard any noticeable difference with burn in and no, it's not because all my apm/dacs are not good enough. That statement is probably one of the most stupid things I've read in here so congratulations on that.

I'm not interested in continuing this discussion here as it never comes any good out of it but I just couldn't let that silly suggestion pass without sharing a different point of view.

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #56,173 of 98,039
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #56,174 of 98,039
I think now it's time for me to chime in.
I have basically all the FOTMs, so here is the breakdown of them all

$200-300
It's a tie between LZ A6 and Audiosense T800, and they both sound equal to, or better than FH7, DK-4001, IE 400 - 500 Pro, Andromeda, IER-M9 depending on your music tastes

LZ A6 - The temperamental king
Pros: excellent treble detail and extension, tight and strong subbass, versatility, excellent wide soundstage (not tall) ==> technical abilities
Cons: some sibilance coming with treble extension
Remedy: copper cable, small pieces of foam inside the 10-40kHz filters
9/10

Audiosense T800 - The proper queen
Pro: excellent mid detail, strong and fun bass, safer treble than A6
Con: bass can feel slightly slow
Remedy: pure silver cable, tip rollings
9/10

$150 - 200
I don't own anything in this range, but auditioned IKKO OH10 (8/10) and Moondrop KXXS (7.5/10).
OH10 is better and quite good for the price, although both OH10 and KXXS don't give me the wow. They don't sound better than the $50-150 offerings in my collection (otherwise I would buy them)

$50 - 150
The most crowded arena

BQEYZ Spring 1
Pros: detailed, warm, excellent mid, good bass, holographic soundstage
Cons: slightly thin treble
Remedy: pure silver cable, nozzle screen removal, tips rolling
8/10

Shuoer Tape
Pros: hi-mid and high detail, strong and fun bass, wow factor
Cons: slightly shouty with female vocals, the 3kHz peak sometimes masks details in some areas
Remedy: Ostry OS200 tips

Sennheiser IE 40 Pro
Pros: excellent mid detail for DD, warm mid, very wide soundstage (not tall though)
Cons: subbass roll-off, slightly thin treble
Remedy: copper custom cable, tips rolling
8/10

NiceHCK NX7
Pros: very detailed, tight strong bass, wide soundstage
Cons: 8 kHz fatiguing peak
Remedy: 2 pieces of foam inside the nozzles (just take out the screens using a needle)
8/10

KBEAR Hi7
Pros: very large soundstage
Cons: the 3kHz peak sometimes masks details in some areas
Remedy: haven't spent much time with this yet
6.5/10

UiiSii BA-T9
Pros: the largest soundstage of all my IEMs, very detailed
Cons: flat bass (not a con for many), slightly sibilant
Remedy: copper cable, foam tips
7.75/10

NiceHCK F3
Pros: quick attack/decay of planar
Cons: flat bass, 8kHz fatiguing peak
Remedy: copper cable, foam tips
6.5/10

HiSenior H6
Pros: warm mid
Cons: subbass roll-off, treble roll-off
Remedy: haven't spent much time with this yet
6.0/10

Sub-$50

Semkarch CNT-1

Pros: excellent detail with no strange peak, very fun, strong subbass with little midbass bleed, quick for DD
Cons: 2 pairs of stock filters sound bad
Remedy: LZ A6 filters (red ones)
7.5/10

Blon BL-03
Pros: natural, smooth sound (Harman style with less 3kHz peak)
Cons: treble roll-off, not as quick as CNT-1
Remedy: pure silver cable, KZ star tips
7.25/10

TRN V90
Prons: detailed with no sibilance, strong fun bass, separation
Cons: slightly slow bass, thin mid
Remedy: cable and tips rolling
7.25/10

KZ ZSX
Pros: smooth, flat sound with slightly raised sub-bass
Cons: not as detailed as V90 with less separation
Remedy: sold them
6.75/10

I-INTO i8
Pro: smooth sound, flat mid
Cons: treble roll-off, springy cable
Remedy: tips rolling
6.5/10

UiiSii CM5
Pros: Harman style sound, detailed treble
Cons: slightly slow bass
Remedy: tips rolling
7/10

Ren Teng ix-12
Pros: strong bass, detailed
Cons: slight mid-bass bleed, fit problems
Remedy: wide bore tips
6.5/10

Pron: smooth sound, good soundstage
Cons: fit problems
Remedy: none
6.5/10

Sony MH755
What can I say, just buy them.

Some other IEMs I have sold: AKG N5005, KZ ZS10 Pro - ZS7 - ZS6, TRN IM1 Pro - IM2 - X6 - V20, Meizu Live, Kanas Pro, Tin T3, FLC 8S, NiceHCK N3, CCA C16, BGVP DM6, Sony XBA-A3 - XBA-300 - EX800ST, LZ A5, BQEYZ KC2... Most of them are not bad, some are excellent (N5005, FLC 8S), but I love to experience.

Hope this will help you with your 11.11 purchases. I'm feeling empty, cause I have nothing to buy now.
Hi, can somebody answer me two things regarding sound quality?
1. Where on this list would my Ultrasone Tio be?
2. How this list would compare with Ultrasone pro 900, signature pro? Can we even compare closed back with buds?
I hope someone would make list with all new arrivals and with comparison with western brands. It is hard to understand if those Chinese brands would be upgrade or downgrade.
Thanks

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #56,175 of 98,039
I like the white shell contrasted by the gold nozzle. 👍
I bet these KS1s sound better than the UM MASON FS! at less than 1/6000ths of the cost!! With that silver cable included!
Hi, can somebody answer me two things regarding sound quality?
1. Where on this list would my Ultrasone Tio be?
2. How this list would compare with Ultrasone pro 900, signature pro? Can we even compare closed back with buds?
I hope someone would make list with all new arrivals and with comparison with western brands. It is hard to understand if those Chinese brands would be upgrade or downgrade.
Thanks
Most folks that post here are earphone fanatics. I am gonna doubt anyone here has an Ultrasone Pro 900 so I am gonna doubt anyone can compare any of the earphones you seen with that can. I have a few Ultrasone cans myself HFI-580 and HFI -780 but again not exacty what you own there.

Plus earphones are not really gonna sound like ultrasone cans as they use that S logic which makes them sound more spacious. Earphones are directly inside your ears so a different type of sound altogether. You can certainly ask some of the other threads but again unless folks own exactly what you got. No real way to comparing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back