The discovery thread!
Apr 8, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #55,846 of 99,757
The Ikko OH1 and OH10 share almost the same frequency response, according to my measurements. But the technical advantage of the OH10 over its little brother is great, surpassing it in every way.
I have several IEMS that share similar tuning and perhaps that's why they didn't surprise me as much.
NF Audio is coming out with a new model called the NA2+.
The OH10 and the NA2/NM2 have a similar FR....
If NF Audio does something similar to what Ikko did with the OH10, that is, not change the tuning, but improve it at every point, I would like a OH10 vs NA2+ battle. But if NF Audio does the same with the NA2+ as they did with the NM2+ (changing the profile by reducing bass and emphasizing high mids), there will be no comparison possible.
As it is a profile I like (OH10, NA2, NM2...) I would like to know which brand is able to squeeze this curve on a technical level: bass capacity, texture, speed, bringing the first half of the mids closer, improving the analytical capacity of the whole...

Ikko OH10 vs NF Audio NA2.png
Can’t wait for the NA2+ release. That, and the etymotic EVO are the IEMs I’m most anticipating.

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #55,847 of 99,757
Apr 9, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #55,849 of 99,757
The Ikko OH1 and OH10 share almost the same frequency response, according to my measurements. But the technical advantage of the OH10 over its little brother is great, surpassing it in every way.
I have several IEMS that share similar tuning and perhaps that's why they didn't surprise me as much.
NF Audio is coming out with a new model called the NA2+.
The OH10 and the NA2/NM2 have a similar FR....
If NF Audio does something similar to what Ikko did with the OH10, that is, not change the tuning, but improve it at every point, I would like a OH10 vs NA2+ battle. But if NF Audio does the same with the NA2+ as they did with the NM2+ (changing the profile by reducing bass and emphasizing high mids), there will be no comparison possible.
As it is a profile I like (OH10, NA2, NM2...) I would like to know which brand is able to squeeze this curve on a technical level: bass capacity, texture, speed, bringing the first half of the mids closer, improving the analytical capacity of the whole...

Ikko OH10 vs NF Audio NA2.png
Damn!

Hopefully they know what they are doing with that extra bass the NA2 has over the OH10. Because it might be too much. :joy:

Apr 9, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #55,850 of 99,757
ExEJsZHVEAE5cnf

Should be available this week.

Here it comes!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/trn-impressions-thread.881761/post-16286466

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #55,851 of 99,757
Apr 9, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #55,852 of 99,757
The Toneking Blade, Moondrop Aria, NS Audio NS3 (Enhanced Bass) and KZ EDX have arrived. I have a bit of time with each and none is bad which is good but, gosh, the EDX has no right to sound so good for so little money. It'll be interesting to pit it against the Turii when I get it, cheapest vs most expensive.

I've got QKZ VK4 coming next, NS4, MT100 Pro, Reecho SG-3 and TFZ Live X (maybe that one was a mistake but it was very nicely discounted so couldn't resist checking that gold-plated dynamic) soon, Turii hasn't shipped yet.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #55,853 of 99,757
The Toneking Blade, Moondrop Aria, NS Audio NS3 (Enhanced Bass) and KZ EDX have arrived. I have a bit of time with each and none is bad which is good but, gosh, the EDX has no right to sound so good for so little money. It'll be interesting to pit it against the Turii when I get it, cheapest vs most expensive.

I've got QKZ VK4 coming next, NS4, MT100 Pro, Reecho SG-3 and TFZ Live X (maybe that one was a mistake but it was very nicely discounted so couldn't resist checking that gold-plated dynamic) soon, Turii hasn't shipped yet.
How do the Blade, Aria and NS3 compare to each other?

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #55,854 of 99,757
How do the Blade, Aria and NS3 compare to each other?
I've obviously had little time with them so these will be quick first impressions only.

Blade is on the warmer side with thick bass and some upper mid lift but no obvious peak that struck me so far. At lower volume they'll feel quite dark sounding but aren't anywhere as warm as the Lucifer but when I push the volume the upper mids become more prominent. Clarity and separation is good, there is some air, they are OK I think. They have no visible vents of any kind but surprisingly I get no flex or pressure/suction effect at all and they seem to behave as if they were front-vented. They have heavy metal shells with glossy finish similar to that of the TFZ No3 Ti while the shape is somewhere between that of the No3 Ti and the MS1 Mermaid.

The Aria is another variation of the Kanas/KP/KxxS/Starfield series with what appear to be anodized aluminum shells this time. They are quite relaxed sounding but not as warm as the Blade and have some peak somewhere in the treble that I don't particularly like like with the KP but I can live with it. The distinctive feature soundwise is a sense of space/volume/amplitude which probably means they have big/good soundstage. I think they are OK too.

NS3 appealed to me less than the other two, probably because it's more of a reference tuning than them. I found them a bit too bright quite quickly but that's probably just by contrast with the others. I get the same with the NS5 MKII and then when I get used to them they feel just fine and can stay on them for several days although I wish they had more air which I think they lack a bit (the NS5).

That's all I can say for now, and yeah the EDX ended feeling a bit bright after a few hours but it's so pleasant and engaging as well as no slouch technically, amazing value.

I listened to EDM only so far with all.

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #55,857 of 99,757
I've obviously had little time with them so these will be quick first impressions only.

Blade is on the warmer side with thick bass and some upper mid lift but no obvious peak that struck me so far. At lower volume they'll feel quite dark sounding but aren't anywhere as warm as the Lucifer but when I push the volume the upper mids become more prominent. Clarity and separation is good, there is some air, they are OK I think. They have no visible vents of any kind but surprisingly I get no flex or pressure/suction effect at all and they seem to behave as if they were front-vented. They have heavy metal shells with glossy finish similar to that of the TFZ No3 Ti while the shape is somewhere between that of the No3 Ti and the MS1 Mermaid.

The Aria is another variation of the Kanas/KP/KxxS/Starfield series with what appear to be anodized aluminum shells this time. They are quite relaxed sounding but not as warm as the Blade and have some peak somewhere in the treble that I don't particularly like like with the KP but I can live with it. The distinctive feature soundwise is a sense of space/volume/amplitude which probably means they have big/good soundstage. I think they are OK too.

NS3 appealed to me less than the other two, probably because it's more of a reference tuning than them. I found them a bit too bright quite quickly but that's probably just by contrast with the others. I get the same with the NS5 MKII and then when I get used to them they feel just fine and can stay on them for several days although I wish they had more air which I think they lack a bit (the NS5).

That's all I can say for now, and yeah the EDX ended feeling a bit bright after a few hours but it's so pleasant and engaging as well as no slouch technically, amazing value.

I listened to EDM only so far with all.
Overall I believe Aria would be more to my preference. Thank you.

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #55,858 of 99,757
Can anyone suggest a good audio file downsamplng software? Free or cracked version - any will do. Setting up Foobar for downsampling is a bit lengthy, hence do not want to attempt that again. Had to visit numerous sites before it works properly. And do not want soundforge, somehow it felt like the output files have lesser quality, than Foobar converted ones. Can anyone suggest some alternative?

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #55,859 of 99,757

You need to try the TRN MT1

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #55,860 of 99,757
Can anyone suggest a good audio file downsamplng software? Free or cracked version - any will do. Setting up Foobar for downsampling is a bit lengthy, hence do not want to attempt that again. Had to visit numerous sites before it works properly. And do not want soundforge, somehow it felt like the output files have lesser quality, than Foobar converted ones. Can anyone suggest some alternative?
Never mind, figured it out on Foobar2000 myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back