The discovery thread!
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #55,831 of 99,632
I had the lowest expectation from the DQ6 of the stuff I ordered, fortunately I didnt get dissapointed.
I don’t know if I’m a little offended :ksc75smile:. JK. I guess my 2c were worth just that much.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #55,832 of 99,632
I don’t know if I’m a little offended :ksc75smile:. JK. I guess my 2c were worth just that much.

Haha (Sorry to KZ fanboys), but my 2 cents is that KZ has kind of lost its way in recent times. I mean they were my first CHIFI gateway drug when I first came to the CHIFI hobby, they are still one of the stakeholders in the sub $50 market, but the past few months their rep hasn't been helped with their almost weekly sidegradish releases and trying to breach the $100 mark with the AS16 and ASX which weren't well received. I would rather they spend some time on tuning well and slowing down their releases, rather than going for the highest driver count nuclear race and spamming releases. Their release strategy (including sister company CCA) is kind of throwing as much stuff on a wall and hoping something finally sticks (and burning a lot of early consumers beta tester guinea pigs in the meantime).

Thankfully it seems DQ6 is something unique and they managed to get it right. Maybe I'll get one at the next sales!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #55,833 of 99,632
Haha (Sorry to KZ fanboys), but my 2 cents is that KZ has kind of lost its way in recent times. I mean they were my first CHIFI gateway drug when I first came to the CHIFI hobby, they are still one of the stakeholders in the sub $50 market, but the past few months their rep hasn't been helped with their almost weekly sidegradish releases and trying to breach the $100 mark with the AS16 and ASX which weren't well received. I would rather they spend some time on tuning well and slowing down their releases, rather than going for the highest driver count nuclear race and spamming releases. Their release strategy (including sister company CCA) is kind of throwing as much stuff on a wall and hoping something finally sticks (and burning a lot of early consumers beta tester guinea pigs in the meantime).

Thankfully it seems DQ6 is something unique and they managed to get it right. Maybe I'll get one at the next sales!
Don't forget CCA. They finally got it right with the CSN, too! Hard to beat the tuning as such a low price.
Cheers to KZ and CCA! :beerchug:

Apr 8, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #55,834 of 99,632
I think an aspect of KZ's sales strategy that you guys might be missing is that saturating the market with dozens of models works, because it keeps a steady hype train going and makes your brand dominate in media presence vs. others, and you can find various companies in various industries utilizing this to dominate (example: smartphones, Samsung and Xiaomi) The biweekly spam of models is probably what affords KZ the opportunity to order BAs in massive volumes too, and bulk buying on this scale cuts costs, and that, I'm willing to guess, is what makes KZ able to sell their IEMs for so cheap. And I'd guess that at least some of their IEMs are released to clear out leftover driver stock periodically. It's frustrating, but it's kind of a necessary evil.

Besides, in addition to KZ beating everyone in driver counts, I also think they have improved their tuning game massively since a few years ago, and their IEMs are some of the coolest looking you can get on the cheap. Design is a big factor for why someone might choose one IEM over another, because IEMs are frequently worn in public. They're fashion almost as much as they're a tool, to many people.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #55,835 of 99,632
Super early impression on the KZ DQ6:
Pretty well tuned V-shaped iem. Bass is elevated and is on the tighter side for this price range and texture is pretty impressive. Mids are recessed but not too much. Treble is probably the area where some might think it is too much or fine, to me it is a bit peaky.

I definitely take this over the Blon BL-01. But we see how it stacks up against my favorite budget iem, being the mesh modded Bl-03 after I had some more time.
In that case, you need to roll the cable on the DQ6 and get rid of that sneaky peaky treble. A balanced copper + SPC mix cable would do nicely.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #55,836 of 99,632

It makes me wonder if the DQ6 is a KZ inhouse design or if it's an OEM. The tuning of the 3 DDs is too reference V compared to the usual KZ house sound.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #55,837 of 99,632
In that case, you need to roll the cable on the DQ6 and get rid of that sneaky peaky treble. A balanced copper + SPC mix cable would do nicely.
Never used the stock cable and the stock tips lol.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #55,838 of 99,632
Haha, I fully understand, I tossed both the stock cable and tips as soon as I opened the box and saw them...

The more I listen to the DQ6, the more it makes me want to take a listen to the UM 3DT. Seriously wondering how different the 2 triple DD IEM sound.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #55,839 of 99,632
THIEAUDIO_Excalibur_and_Oracle_Coming_Soon.jpeg

Saw this on the Linsoul discord
Oracle's pinna gain emulation seems to be an entire 1kHz late.

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #55,840 of 99,632
YUIN G2A impressions:

Bass is very clean and is very tight and fast, but it’s because the quantity is extremely low. Lacks quite a lot of texture. Rumble is pretty much non-existent and extension is horrible.

Mids are…actually somewhat recessed. But quality is very good, especially with the female vocals. Although male vocals lack quite a lot of warmth and is too thin.

Treble is very good because of the airiness and the detail is very good.

Technicalities are very good as well with the most notable being the soundstage and the airy treble is a big factor here. Tonality is leaning towards brightness and is bass-rolled V-shaped.

Compared with the KSC75 (parts express headband), the mids and treble are better on the G2A due to them being more detailed and resolution is better, although the mids aren’t recessed on the KSC75. BUT the bass is a lot better on the KSC75 for my library. It is simply lacking too much on the G2A.

The comfort however isn’t really good for me, the pads make my ears itch more than the KSC75 and the ear clips are made out of hard plastic and doesn’t offer you much flexibility and adjustability.

Which made me pull out the ear clips from the KSC75 and fortunately they actually fit the G2A and made it a bit more comfortable. This did change the sound, the mids aren’t recessed any longer and I believe it is because the stock clips made me get a bad fit. So, tonality is just bass-rolled bright-neutral, instead of having the characteristics of a V-shaped sound (recessed mids).

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #55,841 of 99,632
Yincrow RW-2000 impressions:

Bass is very clean and is fun at the same time due to the boost. Speed, tightness and texture are top tier.

Mids are excellent with very good tonality for both male and female vocals and clarity/detail are very good despite the high bass quantity.

Treble is airy as most buds are and treble extension is good as well, very non-fatiguing but detailed treble.

Technicalities are very good but most notable is the huge soundstage and that the timbre is excellent as most buds.

Comparison with the Yincrow X6:

The sub-bass is lower on the RW-2000 and doesn’t rumble as much either. Extension is similar. But otherwise, the speed, tightness and texture are better on the RW-2000 while the overall bass is very similar.

Mids and treble are a lot better on the RW-2000 and the tonality is brighter than the warm X6 and is more neutral than the X6.

Technicalities and overall resolution are leagues ahead on the RW-2000.

This might be my favorite bud and worthy of being called a TOTL bud.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #55,842 of 99,632
Haha, I fully understand, I tossed both the stock cable and tips as soon as I opened the box and saw them...

The more I listen to the DQ6, the more it makes me want to take a listen to the UM 3DT. Seriously wondering how different the 2 triple DD IEM sound.

Which tips are you guys using, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #55,843 of 99,632
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #55,844 of 99,632
Ikko OH10 impressions:

Why didn’t I get this when it was first released?????????

Bass is very well textured and has a lot of quantity, pretty close to basshead quantity BUT it is very tight and clean so it doesn’t muddy up the rest of the sound like usual basshead quantity of bass would do.

Mids are a bit recessed but tonality and timbre are excellent. And detail is good as well despite the huge bass.

Treble is quite airy and sounds very natural as well without being shouty.

Mids and treble are very similar to the Sony XBA-N3 in timbre and coherency. Very impressive.

The bass on this is actually the most similar iem I have to the Dunu Zen bass. So, if you want to experience the Zen bass (which is my nr 1 iem in bass) then the OH10 is a budget way to do that. (it definitely doesn’t have as much texture as the Zen, but compensates with more quantity and the tightness and speed are very similar.) It also reminds me of the Dunu EST112 bass.

I know there are some people that have asked me what iem to upgrade to from the OH10 and I am honestly not sure (yet) after hearing it lol.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #55,845 of 99,632
Ikko OH10 impressions:

Why didn’t I get this when it was first released?????????

Bass is very well textured and has a lot of quantity, pretty close to basshead quantity BUT it is very tight and clean so it doesn’t muddy up the rest of the sound like usual basshead quantity of bass would do.

Mids are a bit recessed but tonality and timbre are excellent. And detail is good as well despite the huge bass.

Treble is quite airy and sounds very natural as well without being shouty.

Mids and treble are very similar to the Sony XBA-N3 in timbre and coherency. Very impressive.

The bass on this is actually the most similar iem I have to the Dunu Zen bass. So, if you want to experience the Zen bass (which is my nr 1 iem in bass) then the OH10 is a budget way to do that. (it definitely doesn’t have as much texture as the Zen, but compensates with more quantity and the tightness and speed are very similar.) It also reminds me of the Dunu EST112 bass.

I know there are some people that have asked me what iem to upgrade to from the OH10 and I am honestly not sure (yet) after hearing it lol.

The Ikko OH1 and OH10 share almost the same frequency response, according to my measurements. But the technical advantage of the OH10 over its little brother is great, surpassing it in every way.
I have several IEMS that share similar tuning and perhaps that's why they didn't surprise me as much.
NF Audio is coming out with a new model called the NA2+.
The OH10 and the NA2/NM2 have a similar FR....
If NF Audio does something similar to what Ikko did with the OH10, that is, not change the tuning, but improve it at every point, I would like a OH10 vs NA2+ battle. But if NF Audio does the same with the NA2+ as they did with the NM2+ (changing the profile by reducing bass and emphasizing high mids), there will be no comparison possible.
As it is a profile I like (OH10, NA2, NM2...) I would like to know which brand is able to squeeze this curve on a technical level: bass capacity, texture, speed, bringing the first half of the mids closer, improving the analytical capacity of the whole...

Ikko OH10 vs NF Audio NA2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back