The discovery thread!
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #55,772 of 99,715
That 8 kHz area may be a resonance coupler artefact peak I suppose. Possibly won't be as sharp during actual listening?

That’s my understanding as well. I’ve yet to listen to an iem with an 8kHz spike that caused me any issues.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #55,774 of 99,715
Same here.
Glad you like it. Its a great set that I 100% recommend to anyone that doesnt mind a lot of bass and/or wants an upgrade to the blon bl-03.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #55,775 of 99,715
77A163BC-DD2C-4F36-AB72-A7F19084A041.jpeg

7571F796-E831-4806-BCB6-32E80514EB18.jpeg
A6D6C54C-4903-4FC1-9E77-9454F720224B.jpeg

Monarch without branding in a clear shell

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #55,776 of 99,715
One quick question. I see the QKZ VK4 mentioned in the posts above this, this iem was given A+ for tonality in Crinacle’s list. Is that score dependent on price, like for $10 is amazing, or the score isn’t given based on price? Had the price been, say $100, score would have still been A+?

Oh, if these are really that good, then where’s the hype?

Blon03 got a C+, MH755 a B-, both these so hyped.

These get better score in tonality than some serious iem’s, but no hype?

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #55,777 of 99,715
One quick question. I see the QKZ VK4 mentioned in the posts above this, this iem was given A+ for tonality in Crinacle’s list. Is that score dependent on price, like for $10 is amazing, or the score isn’t given based on price? Had the price been, say $100, score would have still been A+?

This is from Crinacle's site
Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 4.25.11 PM.png

The hype train of vk4 already left. Also I don't think the train was on the head-fi, but elsewhere. Anyway I wasn't here back then so somebody else can give an accurate history, but it was a hype train that's for sure. I bought vk4 back then.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #55,778 of 99,715

VK4 is 2+ years old, but it’s quality hasn’t aged. It’s cheap looking but wonderful sounding. Its value proposition isn’t unlike the Koss on-ears like the KPH30i.

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #55,779 of 99,715
Screenshot_20210404_090132_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Never realised this existed :) It is the most beautiful thing ever I have seen related to IEM's :) Happy Easter everyone, who is celebrating it :)

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #55,780 of 99,715
Never realised this existed :) It is the most beautiful thing ever I have seen related to IEM's :) Happy Easter everyone, who is celebrating it :)
Form, function, and fashion. The 3 Fs

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #55,781 of 99,715
DSC07947.JPG

I know you have never heard of ApeSonic. Another up n coming brand. http://apesonic.com/Product-Rain.htm Though I have a good idea where they are sourcing their headphones and earphones. This model here is their first hybrid in the market since January of this year. Called the Rain, how surprised was I when these look and sound exactly like of all earphones. NiceHCK NX7 MK3s ya and these are not using 7 drivers like the NX7. One 10mm dynamic and one BA. Down to the exact same tonality and sound balancing and even their FR looks eerily the same.

Of course the sound is not exactly the same but I have to wonder after hearing these just how effective use of all them drivers are in the NX7 MK3. I had to go back n forth several time between these and the NX7 MK3 to really tell the differences. Treble detail goes to the MK3 where NiceHCK is using much more drivers. However, this is yet another case where more drivers does not mean more sound. These are so identical I would seriously have a hard time in a blind test. In fact Apesonic reader says the BA is doing the mids and bass but the tonality and ability is so identical to the NX7 I am gonna doubt this. It sounds like the BA is doing treble only and the dynamic is doing the mids to bass just like the NX7 earphones.

Since the Rains are using less drivers the mids actually sound a touch more spacious but sound balancing, tonality and treble emphasis is so very close to the NX7 Mk3 I had a hard time really hearing distinct differences. This being said what bodes well for this hybrid is that these are half the price of the NX7 MK3s. Making them a serious competitor in the $50 price range of hybrids.
1617573937398.png

Good clarity, Good balance. Good detail and actually sounds a pinch more spacious over the NX7 models. Your not getting 3 filters, a much larger variety of tips, a nicer cable or a pouch but your not paying for them either. In fact they actually offer the shells without the cable that these come with which is your standard skinny copper cable making them $50. $5 more for the cable option.
https://www.newegg.com/ApeSonic-LLC/BrandStore/ID-211312 They got some headphones on the cheap as well using the apesonic rebranding. These are most definitely chifi in disguise. In any case for the money these are easily worth a boot to check out. They sound so much like the NX7 MK3 I can only assume these are made by the same OEM. I know a few guys that own the older NX7 if you wanted to try a cheaper version of the MK3 with stock red filter. These are it. The face plate isn't half bad looking either. Oh I forgot to mention these are mmcx shells instead of 2 pin. Otherwise another contender for the budget fi realm.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #55,782 of 99,715
Those are beautiful, the younger brother of the Black Hole. I think there's a resin version too with some fancy cables.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #55,783 of 99,715
DSC07947.JPG

I know you have never heard of ApeSonic. Another up n coming brand. http://apesonic.com/Product-Rain.htm Though I have a good idea where they are sourcing their headphones and earphones. This model here is their first hybrid in the market since January of this year. Called the Rain, how surprised was I when these look and sound exactly like of all earphones. NiceHCK NX7 MK3s ya and these are not using 7 drivers like the NX7. One 10mm dynamic and one BA. Down to the exact same tonality and sound balancing and even their FR looks eerily the same.

Of course the sound is not exactly the same but I have to wonder after hearing these just how effective use of all them drivers are in the NX7 MK3. I had to go back n forth several time between these and the NX7 MK3 to really tell the differences. Treble detail goes to the MK3 where NiceHCK is using much more drivers. However, this is yet another case where more drivers does not mean more sound. These are so identical I would seriously have a hard time in a blind test. In fact Apesonic reader says the BA is doing the mids and bass but the tonality and ability is so identical to the NX7 I am gonna doubt this. It sounds like the BA is doing treble only and the dynamic is doing the mids to bass just like the NX7 earphones.

Since the Rains are using less drivers the mids actually sound a touch more spacious but sound balancing, tonality and treble emphasis is so very close to the NX7 Mk3 I had a hard time really hearing distinct differences. This being said what bodes well for this hybrid is that these are half the price of the NX7 MK3s. Making them a serious competitor in the $50 price range of hybrids.
1617573937398.png

Good clarity, Good balance. Good detail and actually sounds a pinch more spacious over the NX7 models. Your not getting 3 filters, a much larger variety of tips, a nicer cable or a pouch but your not paying for them either. In fact they actually offer the shells without the cable that these come with which is your standard skinny copper cable making them $50. $5 more for the cable option.
https://www.newegg.com/ApeSonic-LLC/BrandStore/ID-211312 They got some headphones on the cheap as well using the apesonic rebranding. These are most definitely chifi in disguise. In any case for the money these are easily worth a boot to check out. They sound so much like the NX7 MK3 I can only assume these are made by the same OEM. I know a few guys that own the older NX7 if you wanted to try a cheaper version of the MK3 with stock red filter. These are it. The face plate isn't half bad looking either. Oh I forgot to mention these are mmcx shells instead of 2 pin. Otherwise another contender for the budget fi realm.
You mean like this one? So far so good. I'm in the process of early listening (after 100+hours on my Shanling M0). Typical V-shaped sound, but still pleasant.

Attachments

• 79F4ACE3-CD45-4E67-BF7D-79CF0BBA3126.jpeg
    79F4ACE3-CD45-4E67-BF7D-79CF0BBA3126.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4DD8C045-D47F-460E-8047-50DCB57A19AE.jpeg
    4DD8C045-D47F-460E-8047-50DCB57A19AE.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #55,784 of 99,715
An FYI for any Australian HeadFiers who might see this post:

Addicted to Audio is having a pretty big Easter sale which ends tomorrow at 9 AM AEST.
I just picked up the Fiio FH3 for AUD 159.20 - 20% cheaper than the RRP here. Many other brands on sale, and for all types of gear, not just IEMs.

I'm really looking forward to checking the FH3s out in comparison to the Tin T2+ I have at home, especially since many frequent posters here have recommended I try these given my musical taste. I'll post impressions once I've had some time with them :)

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #55,785 of 99,715
Best Quality Earphone for You, Zhou

SUMMER

Sold for 129 USD.

*Zhou is the family name of the tuner/owner

---

These just in. Sooooo smooth.

Build: 2-piece resin body. I chose the "black" variant, which is more very dark violet on hand. Light and comfortable on the ear. Nozzle (on the bigger side; metal) and "fin" is not a problem for me.

Cable: 8-core advertised as SPC single-crystal copper. Metal jack, splitter, cable cinch, and connector. A bit on the "stiff" side but nothing uncomfortable. Earhooks are formed perfectly.

Package: Two sets of tips (3 pairs each). Paperwork. QC check. Hard case (BQEYZ branded). Cleaning brush.

IMPRESSIONS (will be updated):

Update 1: ~
30 minutes in. Only 7 songs in. Bass is on the warmer side. Midrange sounds so pleasant and inoffensive. Treble isn't emphasized. *using clear tips (M)

Update 2: ~1 hour in. Going two-sizes-up than usual was something I didn't expect (I normally use small tips). Now using large clear tips. Bass reaches deeper now. Midrange has more presence. The black tips drown the vocals too much for my liking, though it's very fatigue-free from short listen.

Update 3: ~2.2 hours in. I can say that BQEYZ is tuning this series with the seasons in mind, not just in name but in sound. This is a balanced pair with a touch of warmth due to that mid-bass emphasis and un-emphasized treble.

IMG20210405135954.jpg

IMG20210405135759.jpg

IMG20210405135600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back